Treasure from encounters?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey,

I'm a bit lost on how to do treasure for encounters. It seems silly to me that some monsters would be carrying around gold/gems. What kind of treasure is good to have for the monsters that wouldn't carry around this stuff, like animated objects or undead?

Also, what are some good nontraditional treasures that I can drop from humanoid monsters?

Thanks much! 
Check out this cool game! Just started a new campaign, looking for advice!
Hey,

I'm a bit lost on how to do treasure for encounters. It seems silly to me that some monsters would be carrying around gold/gems. What kind of treasure is good to have for the monsters that wouldn't carry around this stuff, like animated objects or undead?

None. Just don't have them leave treasure. If you're trying to meet some kind of treasure budget, just pile the treasure where it makes sense, or make the treasure a "payment" received for services rendered.

Or, consider that even the undead might be carrying possessions they had in life. Animated objects might yield useful material.

Also, what are some good nontraditional treasures that I can drop from humanoid monsters?

Seems like you're thinking of it in video game terms. Don't. Place and deliver treasure in ways that make sense to you and your players. To that end, ask them what kind of treasures they're expecting to see, and what they'd like to have to go through to get them.

I highly recommend keeping treasure rather abstract. Tell the players that they recovered X gp worth of spoils from the humanoids, including one particularly interesting item which is....? And then ask the players what the interesting item is, perhaps setting a gold piece limit on it.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

I used to place treasure and have it only drop from enemies that it made sense, but my players found it boring. I have a hat full of peices of paper with items, gold and equipment on them. Random things ranging from a frying pan to a magic sword. If it absolutely doesn't make any sense for a certain creature to drop something I'll make that arguement, otherwise when ever a player kills a baddie during an encounter he gets to pick out of the loot hat.
Sign In to post comments