I've Got Wurms...

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hooray for new card types!

Sickening Wurm -- :BM:
Creature - Wurm Parasite (C)

Infest :BM: (:BM:: Attach this card to target creature blocking or blocked by it. When the infested creature dies, return this card to the battlefield under your control.)
Infested creature gets -2/-2.

1 / 1

I think this has potential as a block mechanic, with a minor theme. What do you guys think?
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
I think it would work in a small set - perhaps the last two sets of a block - but for various rules reasons it should use the same tech as Haunt, with the Infesting creature being exiled.  The game doesn't know how to handle attaching creatures to things, hence the wording of Licids.  (And for various other reasons, the game shouldn't handle attaching creatures to things; a number of effects require that things that aren't creatures automatically become unattached if they get turned into creatures).

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
except in the case of pairing which ghas its own rules

pairing is cool
Hm, why is this a "wurm" and not a "worm?" The flavor of the latter seems to fit much better.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I haven't wrapped my head around the wurm. I'll look it up

The Wurm (Worm) is a river in Germany (North Rhine-Westphalia), a left tributary of the Rur. The source of the Wurm are several brooks...

any of numerous relatively small elongated soft-bodied animals especially of the phyla Annelida and Chaetognatha and Nematoda and Nemertea and Platyhelminthes; also many insect larvae

urban diction

1. The lowest class of Dragon or second highest class of serpent. Has no arms or legs.
2. A demoted dragon due to disobeying its controller

: the fourth and last stage of glaciation in Europe
I'm not sure if I want the thing to return, seems more like something that could be specific to one infest creature. However, I like the core idea behind it.

Somewhat weird of me to say, given that I usually don't like keywords that do nothing on their own, like Haunt.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I'm not liking the attaching creatures to creatures. We tried that with licids, and the rules manager still has nightmares about it.

On the 'return to', I'm thinking the flavor of how a lot of parasites subtly affect their hosts in ways to aid their offspring's spread. (For instance, this is why you sneeze when you have a cold.)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
As for wurm versus  worm, it's just my preference. It would be based around insects, worms, oozes and other "dirty" animals.

As for the rules, I wasn't sure if it was any creature or only equipment creatures. If so, then exile would definately be it. The only reason I didn't keep exile (and it started as exile) was that there opens up potential for "outer" parasites. An example being:

Calciform Ooze -- :WM:
Creature - Ooze Parasite (C)

Infest :WM: (:WM:: Exile this card attached to target creature blocking or blocked by it. When the infested creature dies, return this card the the battlefield uner your control.)
Infested creature gets +0/+4 and can't attack or block.

1 / 3

Maybe exile is better, but I just don't want to trigger etb effects or ltb effects.
Exile does work well with the fact that, I only want the creature returning if the infested creature dies, otherwise I want it exiled. That I like.

One thing I like about this is it's a combat based mechanic that can affect more than combat.

Spinal Parasite -- :UM:
Creature - Insect Parasite (R)

Infest :UM::UM: (:UM::UM:: Exile this card attached to target creature blocking or blocked by it. When the infested creature dies, return this card the the battlefield uner your control.)
You control infested creature.

0 / 1

===xxx===

Quilling Maggot -- :RM::RM:
Creature - Insect Parasite (U)

Infest :RM::RM: (:RM::RM:: Exile this card attached to target creature blocking or blocked by it. When the infested creature dies, return this card the the battlefield uner your control.)
:RM:: Quilling Maggot deals 1 damage to the infested creature.

2 / 1

Do these models look better?
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
As for wurm versus  worm, it's just my preference. It would be based around insects, worms, oozes and other "dirty" animals.

But... if that's the case shouldn't it be a worm and not a wurm? They're two distinct creature types and a 1/1 wurm doesn't make sense, especially since you just said that you want to use worms anyway for the mechanic!
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.

But... if that's the case shouldn't it be a worm and not a wurm? They're two distinct creature types and a 1/1 wurm doesn't make sense, especially since you just said that you want to use worms anyway for the mechanic!

It makes perfect sense. I like the 'U' key on my keyboard gosh darnit!

A 1/1 wurm isn't impossible, it's been done before on rare occasions.
Is see a worm more as a creature, an actual animal.
I see a wurm as a fictional creature, of certain properties. For a majority, it's a powerful rampaging massive beast. But there is also a few wurms that are powerful in their abilities and not their physique.

In this case, I'm basing the card on parasites, but using a different version of a worm to make it more of a fantasy setting.

And when I said worms, oozes and... I meant wurms.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Ah. If you meant "wurms," then yeah, that makes a lot more sense. :P

I suppose it works, it just seems off-flavor to me. But hey, if you think it adds to the presentation, go for it.

(Incidentally, if you have any creature tokens with this ability, might I suggest Saprolings would be a good fit?) 
I named an attempt at a Wurm tribal deck I made "I Got Wurms." Does pretty well, considering it lacks in mana ramp (more than made up for due to cards like Reckless Wurm and Ravaging Riftwurm; unfortunately not a whole lot of low-cost Wurms in Modern that compliment the deck).

As for this Infest ability...it looks cool. Not particularly keen on this interpretation of a Wurm, but...to each their own.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

I named an attempt at a Wurm tribal deck I made "I Got Wurms." Does pretty well, considering it lacks in mana ramp (more than made up for due to cards like Reckless Wurm and Ravaging Riftwurm; unfortunately not a whole lot of low-cost Wurms in Modern that compliment the deck).

As for this Infest ability...it looks cool. Not particularly keen on this interpretation of a Wurm, but...to each their own.

I tried one in standard, using the Worldspine Wurm and the Descendants' Path / Call to the Kindred. I used mill to go through my deck while keeping the 4 Worldspines in my library. It was pretty unreliable, mostly because the only quick wurm was Boneyard Wurm, but man is it awesome getting a Worldspine Wurm out on turn 5. GG?
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Sign In to post comments