A Burning Brutal Barrage Battlemind

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
The purpose of this build is to bring together the following synergistic elements to make an optimized striker/defender:
-Soaring Blade PP's level 16 feature, which allows you to add Con mod extra damage of a particular energy type (in this case, fire) to your melee attacks;
-Firewind Blade, which does extra fire damage as a separate instance when you hit with a fire attack;
-Sarifal Feywarden's theme power, which imposes fire vulnerability;
-Brutal Barrage, which gives you four attacks.

So, here's how the build looks at level 16, when all these elements come together:

Wilden, Battlemind, Soaring Blade
Psionic Study Option: Persistent Harrier
Theme: Sarifal Feywarden

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 24, DEX 15, INT 9, WIS 17, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 18, DEX 13, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 10

AC: 35 Fort: 30 Ref: 31 Will: 31
HP: 129 Surges: 16 Surge Value: 32

FEATS
Level 1: Melee Training (Constitution)
Level 2: Monastic Disciple
Level 4: Master at Arms
Level 6: Harrying Step
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 10: Fluid Motion
Level 11: Superior Reflexes
Level 12: Armor Specialization (Scale)
Level 14: Headsman's Chop
Level 16: Fiery Blood

POWERS
Battlemind Attack 1: Accelerating Strike
Acrobatics Utility 2: Agile Recovery
Battlemind Attack 3: Lodestone Lure
Battlemind Attack 5: Inconstant Location
Battlemind Utility 6: Winged Weapon
Battlemind Attack 7: Lightning Rush
Battlemind Utility 10: Battle Aspect
Soaring Blade Attack 11: Sword Fall Leap
Soaring Blade Utility 12: Charge the Clouds
Battlemind Attack 13: Brutal Barrage
Battlemind Attack 15: Mind Blade
Insight Utility 16: Insightful Riposte

Equipment: the main thing you need is a Firewind Blade.  Strikebacks, Iron Armbands, Dragonshard would be nice.

EDIT: fixed the damage numbers.  My earlier version counted the vulnerability from Sarifal's Blessing twice, which was an error.

At this point, your Brutal Barrage is +23 vs. AC (not counting CA, which you will have on round 1 due to Superior Reflexes) for 7 untyped +7 fire from Soaring Blade +4 fire from Firewind Blade = 18.

Normal DPR would be
(65% * 18) + (5% * 39.5) = 14.175 per attack * 4 attacks = 56.7, which is 0.37 KPR.
Against a prone target, you have CA and Headsman's Chop damage.  DPR under those conditions is
(75% * 23) + (5% * 44.5) = 19.475 per attack * 4 attacks = 77.9, which is 0.51 KPR.
Chances are, your first two or three attacks will knock the target prone for your last one or two attacks, so the real numbers will be somewhere in between.  All in all, you've got good odds of bloodying a standard without even trying hard.
And that's not even counting the many, many ways you can do damage off-turn.  With Persistent Harrier, Strikebacks, and Wrath of the Destroyer, you can counterattack a monster who attacks you, and with Lightning Rush, you can beat on a monster who attacks your allies.  So you've got a pretty good defender catch-22 going on.

When you're in nova mode, with Sarifal's Blessing up, you'll be doing an extra 10 fire per attack.
If you hit with your first two Brutal Barrage attacks, all subsequent attacks will do an extra 5 damage due to Headsman's Chop.
And if you hit with any of your attacks, you can tack on another 9 damage from Iron Soul Flurry of Blows.

So, your round 1 expected value of nova damage against AC 30 would be
(75% * 28) + (5% * 49.5) = 23.475 per attack * 4 attacks = 93.9 + 9 flurry = 102.9
That's enough to bloody a standard.  APing for another Brutal Barrage would surely finish it off, especially since you've got +5 damage per attack against a prone target from Headsman's Chop.  Killing an elite with your nova would require some lucky crits and/or off-action attacks.
with Sarifal's Blessing up, you'll be doing an extra 20 fire per attack because Soaring Blade and Firewind Blade are separate instances, so your vulnerability 10 will apply to both.

Sarifal only applies to attacks. I remember seeing a previous thread using it that couldn't apply firewind to it as a result.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
with Sarifal's Blessing up, you'll be doing an extra 20 fire per attack because Soaring Blade and Firewind Blade are separate instances, so your vulnerability 10 will apply to both.

Sarifal only applies to attacks. I remember seeing a previous thread using it that couldn't apply firewind to it as a result.

Ah, you're right.  The Firewind extra damage is from a property, not an attack power.  So it only gets an extra 10 per attack instead of 20.

Running the new numbers, we get
(75% * 28) + (5% * 49.5) = 23.975 per attack * 4 attacks = 95.9 + 9 flurry = 104.9.  Enough to bloody a standard.
APing against a prone target, we add on Headsman's Chop damage to another Brutal Barrage, which adds
(75% * 33) + (5% * 54.5) = 27.975 * 4 = 111.9.
Total is enough to kill a standard.
Killing an elite would require some lucky crits and/or off-turn attacks.

Outside of the Sarifal nova, Brutal Barrage DPR is 61.9, which is roughly 0.4 KPR (and this is not even counting off-turn attacks).  Nothing to be ashamed of, especially since this is still a fully functional defender.

Care to break down your 38 damage per bb hit?
He did break it down above - 7 (Con) base, 7 (Con) from Paragon Path, 4 (Enh) from Firewind, 10 (Vuln) from Theme.
Another option could be firecrafter which has a L6 daily utility that is aura 2, all enemies in the aura get vulnerable 5 fire and the aura lasts until end of encounter.  Since there is no other restrictions on it, I think you would get more damage out of it than the Sarifal Feywarden.  And before anyone comments about it being only 5 instead of 10, it can be applied to the firewind blade so you would not actually lose any damage and would gain damage since the aura lasts the whole encounter and can be used by others in the party.
He did break it down above - 7 (Con) base, 7 (Con) from Paragon Path, 4 (Enh) from Firewind, 10 (Vuln) from Theme.

That doesn't add up to 38.

Ah, you're right.  The Firewind extra damage is from a property, not an attack power.  So it only gets an extra 10 per attack instead of 20.

Running the new numbers, we get
(75% * 28) + (5% * 49.5) = 23.975 per attack * 4 attacks = 95.9 + 9 flurry = 104.9.  Enough to bloody a standard.
APing against a prone target, we add on Headsman's Chop damage to another Brutal Barrage, which adds
(75% * 33) + (5% * 54.5) = 27.975 * 4 = 111.9.
Total is enough to kill a standard.
Killing an elite would require some lucky crits and/or off-turn attacks.

Outside of the Sarifal nova, Brutal Barrage DPR is 61.9, which is roughly 0.4 KPR (and this is not even counting off-turn attacks).  Nothing to be ashamed of, especially since this is still a fully functional defender.

He fixed it.  It is 28, not 38.  The 38 was from applying Vul 10 fire twice.

That doesn't add up to 38.

If only you'd read the thread, you'd even know why.

Another variant that should be able to squeeze more damage out would be a Genasi Battlemind|Warlock. Firesoul for shocking flame to get fire damage to trigger firewind blade. Twofold pact for elemental pact. Pick up herbal healing with MC+power swap or just order adept theme to second wind as minor every encounter to guarantee fire affinity, and cincture of vivacity so the surge from second winding immediately doesn't go to waste.
Another variant that should be able to squeeze more damage out would be a Genasi Battlemind|Warlock. Firesoul for shocking flame to get fire damage to trigger firewind blade. Twofold pact for elemental pact. Pick up herbal healing with MC+power swap or just order adept theme to second wind as minor every encounter to guarantee fire affinity, and cincture of vivacity so the surge from second winding immediately doesn't go to waste.

I thought about hybriding Warlock.  This would have advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages: Eldritch Strike, Curse tricks (like Protective Hex), better ranged attacks
Disadvantages: fewer hp, fewer power points, no Persistent Harrier

Order Adept + Herbal Healing + Elemental Pact is a nice idea, but it has action economy issues for a hybrid Battlemind build.  Accursed Affinity is an immediate, so you can't use it on any round in which you Lightning Rush or use your counterattack powers.  MC Wizard wouldn't work because you need MC Monk to access Soaring Blade and its +Con fire damage feature.

I picked Wilden for the build instead of Genasi because you need to be a fey race for Sarifal.  Having Shocking Flame instead of Sarifal's Blessing means better sustained DPR over a long encounter but less of a nova spike in a short encounter.
He fixed it.  It is 28, not 38.  The 38 was from applying Vul 10 fire twice.

Thanks.

And Keithric, there's no need to be snide.  I was asking for a clarification.
Do you even need herbal healing? Can't you just use second wind between encounters after taking a short rest to pick your damage type?

Order Adept + Herbal Healing + Elemental Pact is a nice idea, but it has action economy issues for a hybrid Battlemind build.  Accursed Affinity is an immediate, so you can't use it on any round in which you Lightning Rush or use your counterattack powers.  MC Wizard wouldn't work because you need MC Monk to access Soaring Blade and its +Con fire damage feature.

There is nothing in the book, Heros of the Elemental Chaos, that states that Accursed Affinity is an immediate action.  The compendium is wrong.

There is nothing in the book, Heros of the Elemental Chaos, that states that Accursed Affinity is an immediate action.  The compendium is wrong.

Ah, then that makes the Elemental Pact Warlock hybrid more attractive.  Silly me for trusting the Compendium.

Anyhow, i fixed the DPR calculations in my original post.  Thanks to Keithric for pointing out my error.
I've actually just been toying around with the same thing (Elemental Pact Warlock | Battlemind / Soaring Blade) but around cold instead, since it's easier for group synergy.  It also opens up Arcane Familiar -> Disembodied Hand for free action draw tricks.  Combine that with Unarmed Strike from Monk (you'd have to switch the MC) and you can TWF (going for TWOpening/TWFlurry) while keeping your shield up.

You probably want to looking at getting  Reserve Maneuver at least as well, since your Dexterity is low.  See Mommy was an Orc's Miscibility Handbook for a full explanation of that trick.
Couldn't you go with a Stormsoul Genasi with Shocking Flame to give lightning damage, triggering Promise of Storm since Soaring Blade can give you the fire damage for Flamewind Blade? Then you get your encounter nova spike? The average (mean, whatever math term you want to call it) should be basically equal between Promise and Shocking. Then your theme is open for something else. I don't know what you could replace it with, but it would be open. This could work on either the hybrid and give you a 40% chance to get the vunerability you want without using your second wind instead of 20% or on the pure itself. Just my 2cp.

EDIT:
I guess Sarifal would still be better since allies can benefit from the vulnerability in the pure, which probably ends up being a better defender than the hybrid which, was the goal right? I ask, because a friend and I were toying with this idea for a defender / striker...but mostly striker.
Shocking Flame can give you both Lightning and Fire, that's what the Flame part means, just take Dual Manifestation or whatever it is, and use Soaring Blade for Cold.

And no, Allies cannot benefit from the Sarifal Vulnerability, it is specifically "Vulnerability: Your Attacks that do Fluffy Bunny Damage."
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
That's very true, I usually look to building around 16, the few games I've been in never made it out of Paragon, so I didn't take Dual Manifestation into consideration. Is turning Soaring Blade into cold damage for lasting/winter etc.? If not, would Lyrandar Wind-Rider be better with the +1 to attack and keeping your MC free? Not really sure which path would be better.

I had just glanced right over that part about being vulnerable to your attacks. Thank you for pointing that out!

I do want to apologize for slightly 'jacking your thread. I didn't intend on that at all. At least we're still sort of on topic.

I think when you get to epic, Genasi comes out ahead of Wilden because of how Shocking Flame + Dual Manifestation + Cold package lets you bring all the damage type tricks together.

At epic, the hybrid |Warlock variant also has an edge in the alpha-strike nova department because you can throw a Quickened Eldritch Strike into your nova routine.  Instant Move + Promise of Storm + Brutal Barrage + Quickened Eldritch Strike is pretty killer.  Only catch with a hybrid build is that you only have 6 power points total, so you can't Lightning Rush as much.
Reserve maneuver fixes the power point issue.

A Battlemind|Warlock could only use a Warlock power as his Reserve Maneuver.  Augmentable at-wills don't count as encounter powers.  Reserve Maneuver solves the problem of the Soaring Blade encounter attack being deadweight (although, if you're mostly spamming at-wills, your Warlock encounter powers are kind of niche), but it doesn't fix the power point issue.
Take escaped thrall.  Take sorcerer-king pact as your two-fold pact so you have fell might.  Take the feat that allows you to recover a power point instead of fell might.

Escaped Thrall gives 1pp.  It has a daily utility that you can take that has an augment where one of hte options is regain 2pp.

Psionic Scorn requires warlock, sorcerer-king pact, and the pact boon.  A nonminion enemy cursed by you drops to 0, you can regain a pp instead of your fell might.    
Could you mc into warlock(sorcerer-king) and take twofold pact to elemental pact?  the vulnerability you get with the elemental pact stacks with any other vulnerability the monster has and you can get all of the benefits of being one class.  Feat heavy?  a little, but there is always a cost. 
You don't qualify for Twofold Pact with just MC, you don't even qualify for the chosen pact's feats.

The SK Pact feat is interesting, I personally would just prefer the ring that recovers your PP 1/enc and taking Awakened Potential instead of burning a Theme and specific Hybrid.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
You don't qualify for Twofold Pact with just MC, you don't even qualify for the chosen pact's feats.

The SK Pact feat is interesting, I personally would just prefer the ring that recovers your PP 1/enc and taking Awakened Potential instead of burning a Theme and specific Hybrid.

In the context of a Soaring Blade Brutal Barrage build, you can't take Awakened Potential because you need to MC Monk.

As for the Ring of Mental Power, I'd say it's great if you can afford it or get access.

Escaped Thrall is good for a Genasi hybrid build but would preclude Sarifal for my Wilden build.

A Battlemind|Warlock could only use a Warlock power as his Reserve Maneuver.  Augmentable at-wills don't count as encounter powers.  Reserve Maneuver solves the problem of the Soaring Blade encounter attack being deadweight (although, if you're mostly spamming at-wills, your Warlock encounter powers are kind of niche), but it doesn't fix the power point issue.

Yes, it does.  Once you swap soaring blade enc -> for warlock you can swap one of your other warlock -> bb at-will.  Read the miscibility handbook for a full explanation.
That handbook is wrong and the trick in question doesn't work. Reserve Maneuver is not a powerswap. It does not permanently replace the power in question. This is both the only reason it can be used on E11s, and why it will never allow you to retrain out your permanent encounter power.
Yes, it does.  Once you swap soaring blade enc -> for warlock you can swap one of your other warlock -> bb at-will.  Read the miscibility handbook for a full explanation.

No. Mommy is actually the only person who thinks that and has been repeatedly critisized for misleading others about it.
He also insists on perpetuating the idea that essentials hybrids shouldn't be able to get real powers for some reason.
Hrm. Well then, I stand corrected. If you wouldn't mind pming me why it doesn't work so I don't derail this thread further, that'd be appreciated.
I prefer posting in public so everyone can see the explanation.

Reserve Maneuver is a temporary swap, you don't count as "having" the power until you regain it instead of your Path power at the end of a rest, because that's when you become able to use it. This is why it works on Path powers, which otherwise cannot be power swapped (as per RC 90) Your static state ie. your character sheet, which is what matters when you retrain when you level, you still have the Path power, so you still have to have the encounter attack power from Warlock.
Alright, thanks. Sorry for the confusion.
Reserve Maneuver is a temporary swap, you don't count as "having" the power until you regain it instead of your Path power at the end of a rest, because that's when you become able to use it.

Which is ignoring the 'some other means' clause which makes it fine to do. If you never ever use the power and you always have an encounter attack power from your class by some other means, you literally meet the requirements even if someone gets into the nitpicking of when you have a power as above. i.e. you retain an encounter attack power from your class at all times. If you've not used an encounter power before an extended rest, you don't need the extended rest to regain it because you still have it.

I expect it is almost certain to cause table variation, it is rules lawyery, and that's why I haven't called it out in the main set of posts.

He also insists on perpetuating the idea that essentials hybrids shouldn't be able to get real powers for some reason.

No, I'm pointing out that it is obvious RAI that if regular Essentials characters cannot use particular powers from their primary class, neither should hybrid characters be allowed to use them either. The only reason from a game design PoV that a hybrid Cavalier should get something the non-hybrid gets, is because it is from the other hybrid half. A Cavalier can't get Valorous Smite, neither should a Hybrid Cavalier. This should be obvious common sense RAI. Apparently R&D wasn't very focused on 4e at the time of these articles for some reason and therefore didn't do a solid edit - they had lots of feedback as to the problems and ignored almost all of it.

Yes, RAW says the hybrid Cavalier does get encounter attack powers from its class because the meaning of the word 'class' changed from PHB 3 to Essentials. That doesn't mean they should and I'd ask a DM first before doing it unless I knew I was in a strictly only RAW environment.
Res Man isn't "some other means", stuff like Spiked Chain Master and Dominating Gaze are. ResMan does not change what powers your character has, unless you seriously want to argue that having limited potential access to a power counts, in which case all classes that use Wands could get around the entire Hybrid restriction with a couple Wand of At-Will/Encounter/Utility, then there's those rings that store spells, and the armor of exploits, Arti|Battlemind, I'll just take the Sigils, Slick Concoction, and my free encounter heal! These things aren't like the Wizard's Spellbook, which actually does work that way because it says it does.
No, I'm pointing out that it is obvious RAI that if regular Essentials characters cannot use particular powers from their primary class, neither should hybrid characters be allowed to use them either. The only reason from a game design PoV that a hybrid Cavalier should get something the non-hybrid gets, is because it is from the other hybrid half. A Cavalier can't get Valorous Smite, neither should a Hybrid Cavalier. This should be obvious common sense RAI. Apparently R&D wasn't very focused on 4e at the time of these articles for some reason and therefore didn't do a solid edit - they had lots of feedback as to the problems and ignored almost all of it.

Yes, RAW says the hybrid Cavalier does get encounter attack powers from its class because the meaning of the word 'class' changed from PHB 3 to Essentials. That doesn't mean they should and I'd ask a DM first before doing it unless I knew I was in a strictly only RAW environment.

MwaO, hey, just following along here when I saw this. I'm curious how you came by this opinion on RAI, and I'd like to discuss it further. (I realize an RAI discussion will bore most CharOp readers, so I'm placing this initial discussion behind a spoiler block. MwaO, feel free to PM me directly with a response if you agree CharOp at large will be disinterested in this convo.)

Show

I'm not really following your argument when you say that "it is obvious RAI that if regular Essentials characters cannot use particular powers from their primary class, neither should hybrid characters be allowed to use them either". From what I understand, the intent for Essentials classes was that they streamline and simplify the character creation and leveling process for new players. The large selection of powers available to normal classes had become potentially daunting, so a great number of choices were removed for Essentials.

By contrast, since hybrid characters give a player choices from multiple classes, it makes hybrids a necessarily complex beast. Where RAI for Essentials seems to be "we're trying to keep it simple for you", RAI for hybrids appears to have always been "we're opening the complexity floodgates and we hope you know what you're getting into here." And since hybrids are throwing simplicity out the window right out of the gate, it seems to logically follow that a hybrid Essentials classes are likewise not be intended to adhere to the initial Essentials design goal.

This appears to be futher supported by RAW. Not only has no effort has been made to alter the initial hybrid rules when hybrid essential characters were released, but it looks like RAW is (somewhat) balanced by the ommision of Essentials features. For example, while the hybrid Cavalier gains powers from the core class, it loses out on improvements to features given to the non-hybrid version, such as Level 7 "Improved Righteous Shield", Level 17 "Encouraging Presence", Level 23 "Righteous Rescue" and so on.

So, asside from a feeling of inconsistency, it seems to me that both RAI and RAW are satisfied by the current mechanic of allowing hybrid Essentials characters to pick up powers from their current class as they level. What do you think? 

I can guarantee that none of the ambiguities on how PMC interacts with any essentials classes are RAI ... because PMC was written under an almost entirely different set of developers and entirely different design goals set forth by their hasbro masters, with the current staff not having played 4e by RAW past the testing phase (they've been on record saying they use a bunch of house rules). So yeah, anything that makes someone other than a Fighter, Warlord, or Wizard better is probably not RAI.
By contrast, since hybrid characters give a player choices from multiple classes, it makes hybrids a necessarily complex beast. Where RAI for Essentials seems to be "we're trying to keep it simple for you", RAI for hybrids appears to have always been "we're opening the complexity floodgates and we hope you know what you're getting into here." And since hybrids are throwing simplicity out the window right out of the gate, it seems to logically follow that a hybrid Essentials classes are likewise not be intended to adhere to the initial Essentials design goal.

All hybrids lack certain features of the non-hybrid classes. That's intentional, so as to try to balance out hybrids vs. non-hybrids as a whole. One of the reasons you can tell that it is not RAI, is that there are feats for the non-hybrid Essential characters to pick up powers from their primary class.

That's the ultimate feat tax if it is RAI that hybrids get things for free, but non-hybrids are expected to pay for it, knowing that the barn doors are open. Also, that's an obvious, "Hey, here's our thinking" moment

Basically, I think a lot of the issues with Essentials Hybrids and Battle Cleric's Lore is because the design team was simultaneously working on D&DNext, play the game with significant house rules, and rushing those rules out the door. And because D&DNext is coming out at some point, they're not all that interested in fixing things.

Especially in the context that there are people playing with the rules at present and would likely be upset if told that their characters no longer functioned. The RAW doesn't truly break anything, even if it makes certain options too good for the base game(aka Battle Cleric's Lore for Hybrids, BA Essentials characters can stack, Sentinels being full-fledged controllers with a pet and an encounter heal, etc...)

So it is unlikely to be fixed, but it probably would be good for the long-term future of 4e outside of D&DNext if it was. Which again, makes it unlikely.
Res Man isn't "some other means", stuff like Spiked Chain Master and Dominating Gaze are. ResMan does not change what powers your character has, unless you seriously want to argue that having limited potential access to a power counts, in which case all classes that use Wands could get around the entire Hybrid restriction with a couple Wand of At-Will/Encounter/Utility, then there's those rings that store spells, and the armor of exploits, Arti|Battlemind, I'll just take the Sigils, Slick Concoction, and my free encounter heal! These things aren't like the Wizard's Spellbook, which actually does work that way because it says it does.

Exactly how do you use something that you don't have?

Reserve Maneuver uses the phrase gain the use of the chosen power. PHB/RC uses the phrase gain access to a power. Access, in the context of words, almost certainly means 'the use'

i.e. they're using almost identical language. I don't think the build couldn't ever use the encounter power.  In practice, in all instances, you act like someone who has an encounter power from that class if you normally use the power in encounters. I'm just pointing out that if you never ever use the power, it literally satisfies the requirement that you listed Zathris.

Both of which are different than say Wands which use the word 'like', i.e. similar, but not the same and don't use the word gain. 
As soon as you take a rest, any rest, your character becomes illegal. That's how you don't 'have' it.
As soon as you take a rest, any rest, your character becomes illegal. That's how you don't 'have' it.

Point A: The PC enters the short rest with the power not expended. The PC still has it. PCs are not required to expend powers into a rest.
Point B: Halfway into the rest or any point in time before the end of the rest. The PC still has it, again, resting does not force PCs to spend powers.
Point C: End of Rest. The PC still has it, because it is not the moment which is 'After the rest'
Point D: After the rest, the PC regains expended encounter powers, which means the PC gains the use of the power. The PC still has it. This is a step which is not defined to take time. So it doesn't.

i.e. at every single observable moment of game time, the PC has the ability to use the power. At the beginning and end of every step, the PC has the ability to use the power. And arguing about the middle of steps is house rule territory.

Sign In to post comments