Return to Ravnica draft 6!

459 posts / 0 new
Last post
BEASTmaster

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
BEASTmaster

Yep.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Wow, a handful of Izzet love here. Some commons I'd love to pick, or that Izzet Charm but I can't really pass up the Wild Beastmaster.
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)
Arrest for me. It does a good job of cutting white, and trying to take a red card here seems like a recipe for trouble.

Beastmater isn't really in contention for me, its just not as good as arrest, frostburn, and fire imo.
I think I'd rather just take the Arrest as well and let someone else plan the rest of their draft around Wild Beastmaster.
Beastmaster
I think I'd rather just take the Arrest as well and let someone else plan the rest of their draft around Wild Beastmaster.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Arrest.
Arrest is so much better than Beastmaster it's not even funny (or close).
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
this is a solid pack... arrest is probably the correct choice. Although Beastmaster can be a very potent card.
Arrest for me, too, partly because of color considerations in this pack as was already pointed out. And I think it's the better card.
This pack isn't short of playables.

I'd pick the Arrest. It is a solid form of removal being the only true white card in this pack, so it could help cut white. 
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
I've never played Beastmaster, but it just seems ... bad.  It does almost nothing on its own.  There's almost no equipment in this set, so you'd have to run it with auras, which can easily give your opponent a 2-for-1.  Doesn't qualify as a bomb for me.

So no real bombs in the pack, good thing there's some of the best removal in the pack.  Take the Arrest.
This pack has a bunch of good, but not stellar picks. I always find these the hardest to choose on. Cutting a color is usualy the best opinion, let's take the arrest.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Beastmaster is a fine card in the scavenge deck I think. But I'll also vote for Arrest here, because it will always be good no matter what deck we end up with.
T judgment 

T judgment
T-Sizzle.
Trostani's Judgment.

Not really missing out on much else in this pack. 
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
Keening Apparition, I think.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

Apparition over judgment?  Why?

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

Apparition over judgment?  Why?

I like to keep my curve low. There will be plenty of opportunity to pick up late-drops.

Judgment is stronger than Apparition, but the difference is small enough that this preference matters, I feel.
TRJM

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Judgment
I actually like KA more than most people I feel, but would probably still give the edge to Judgment here.
I'm almost tempted to be a fool and try to immediately push into Azorius by taking the Stealer of Secrets. That and detain has helped me so many times...

But now's far too early to pick up under-powered 3 drops. I'll go with the flexibility of Trostani's Judgement here. 
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)
I love me a Syncopate.
NSYNC.

Auger Spree is the best card, and Rakdos appears open with that and the keyrune here, but not sure if it's good enough to forego our first two picks?

After that  it's Syncopate, Vassal Soul, and Giant Growth. Syncopate is solid and pushes us towards Azorius, Soul is mediocre, Growth is a good card and can push us towards Selesnya which is good, but tends to be overdrafted. Selesnya also works much better with the Judgment so I think I'll take a shot at the Giant Growth. Not a great pack.

Edit: For some reason I forgot we passed that Beastmaster first pick. In which case I think Soul is probably better here.

It's a tough pick, but I would be inclined to go with the Soul here, because it can be played in both Azorius and Selensya.

I like the vassal soul here too.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

I think Launch Party would be a decent pick, as it sets us up to go Selesnya, splash Golgari or vice versa.  The tokens from Selesnya give us good fodder to Launch with.  However, I see plenty of Black, but not strong Green -- and we did recently pass Wild Beastmaster to the left, so I'm not sure we'll be getting much back from that.

Since I'm preferential to creatures over counters (perhaps to a fault, mind you), I think I'll go with Vassal Soul, which keeps us more flexible.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
I am not super excited about the vassal soul, i like picking syncopate here as more color signalling and also a good card.
The obvious option is the awesome pegasus.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

I think I'm going with Syncopate here, although in an actual draft, I would pick the Vassal Soul.

Uh...
Vassal Soul is my choice. 
Is 1 Power seriously worth giving up 1 Toughness and 1 CMC and Flexibility if we go :gwm:?

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

I am going with Sync as well. I like Vassal Soul but we will probably see another one of them.
I am going with Sync as well. I like Vassal Soul but we will probably see another one of them.

While I generally dislike taking Vassal Souls this early, they are versatile in that they fit into 3 different guilds, two of which we are likely to play. Further, having just gotten done with a 6-0 tournament in which a Civic Saber carrying Vassal Soul played a large part in two game wins, I would feel bad about missing this one.
Sign In to post comments