Legends draft!

369 posts / 0 new
Last post
Land tax.  If you can be on the draw, you'll never miss a land drop, and thin your deck a bunch.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Land tax. Loved that card.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Land Tax, agreed.

Another good option is Wall of Shadows.  There isn't much (that isn't rare) that can destroy it directly in Legends if I recall.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Land Tax, agreed.

Another good option is Wall of Shadows.  There isn't much (that isn't rare) that can destroy it directly in Legends if I recall.

chain lighting is common.

And I don't have much to add to this discussion suffice it to say that land tax is nuts.
Another old format filled with weird stuff? Sure.

I'll go with Land Tax, too. Everything else except possibly the bear seems bad in this pack.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I played back during Legends and Land Tax is by far the best card in this pack. It's even a great Cube pick. An unlimited number of lands and no wasted draws.
Taxes pay for things.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Land Tax, agreed.

We'll probably have another chance at the Wall sooner or later, since it's a common and a wall.

Land Tax.  Although it sucks having to pass those Glyphs ...
Another old format filled with weird stuff? Sure.

I'll go with Land Tax, too. Everything else except possibly the bear seems bad in this pack.

I was looking through the set and thought it would be a rather fun one ot draft.
I forgot how bad this set was. Walls matter? I'm guessing the basic strategy is defend, then play a legend. Land Tax is good enough.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
I forgot how bad this set was. Walls matter? I'm guessing the basic strategy is defend, then play a legend. Land Tax is good enough.

The set had plenty of powerful cards. Land Tax, Mana Drain, Moat, The Abyss, Mirror Universe, Chains of Mephistopheles ... but it was out a long time before people did Magic drafts, at least where I played.
Sure. Land Tax looks good to me.
Insane deck thinning, card advantage, and mana fixing all rolled into the cost of ?  Why not.  Land Tax by a mile.  Nothing even remotely comes next to it.
Johan or force spike...I really know jack about this set, but I think ill go spike on this one.

I'll go with Johan.  It is pretty early to be taking a 3-color card, but with all the multi-color legendaries it's pretty likely we'll be stretching across more than 2 colors for playables.  I'll be hoping for RWg, and we've already got the best mana fixer we can have.

Otherwise, Moss Monster looks totally decent here.
Johan.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
These cards are pretty bad. I'll just jump on the Johan wagon I suppose.
Wow... Umm... wow...

I... umm...

Holy mother of these cards are bad!

Johan, sure, he can swing for a few.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

I like more recent sets, personally. I can't really get interested in these weird sets. Have you seen the text on Cathedral of Serra? How could that possibly be a good idea?
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I'll say Johan.
There's more pickables here than there were last pack, with Wall of Vapor, Moss Monster, Force Spike, and Black Mana Battery all being useful in addition to Johan.  Remember that this is Legends, and our opponents are also drafting Legends.  So, the idea is to pick a draft deck that will beat other people who are drafting Legends, not people who are drafting RTR.  Are there some good draft cards in Legends?  Yeah, of course; but there are a lot more cards that weren't designed with draft in mind in addition to being designed in the near-Alpha stages of the game.

Anyways, I'll go with Johan, but really only because we grabbed Land Tax and so are in the best position to mana fix ourselves.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Johan, to be sure.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Johan
If I remember right, the fatties in this set are either green, or legends. So Moss Monster would be a good strategic pick, but Johan's ability is pretty darn good.
White... mana... battery? Wow I really know zilch about this set. Or the moss monster?

I wouldn't pass up Tor Wauki just because of what we've drafted. It's only the third pick so it's still ok to take the best card.
Tor Wauki is a boss.

Also, this set is horrible.
Tor Wauki is a boss.

2nd this, nix my previous vote.

I remember buying a lot of Chronicles when I was younger, thinking I was getting all of the badass cards I'd missed. (I started playing at the end of Revised/FE.)

Just, wow. Magic has come a long, long way.

Tor Wauki is a boss.

Yeah, this is brutal.
In retrospect, it does not appear this set would have been good to draft. But I think Tor is the pick here.
Tor Wauki -- there isn't a hard reason for us to not take the best card here.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Tor!
4/4 first strik is pretty sick, but Immolation looks like removal to me... Livonya works though.

Wow what a lame set to draft...Immolation? Or keeping picking Legendaries until they stop flowing!
The creatures we want to remove are the legends. Silone.
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
I like Silone as well.
Silone.