Average encounter XP budget help

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't have my books available and I'm trying to get some adventure material ready.  I was hoping someone could give me the average (party level) encounter budget for a 6th through 10th lvl party.  I don't usually stick to the amount per level, but I want to make sure that I don't overwhelm them.

Thanks.
All you need to do to get that is to take standard monster exp for the level you want and multiply it by the number of people in your party.

I see you have the compendium, so just search for something in the right level (that is a standard) and multiply it's exp for how many players.

But here is 6-10 for you (n = Number of party members)

6 250*n
7 300*n
8 350*n
9 400*n
10 500*n

Edit: With groups of larger than 5 and less than 4 I tend to use a slightly different formula for n.
If n = 3 then use n*(.75) instead. Heavy focus on minions or halfstandards.
If n = 6 then use n*(1.25) instead.  Normal design.
If n = 7 then use n*(1.5) instead. Add a lower level solo or lower level elites.
If n = 8 then use n*(2) instead.  Add a solo and lower level elites.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Thank you very much.  It's been a while since I've built encounters.
Sign In to post comments