Teeth of Dahlver-Nar

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all. Forgive me if this has been queried before, but I cannot find the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar, the artifact(s?) from 1st Edition, in the Compendium nor did a cursory forum search lead me to any info.

I was curious if someone had done some work on updating them for 4th Edition? I'd really like to introduce these into my campaign, a few teeth at a time, but have yet to convert any artifacts from previous editions into 4th.

I thought I remembered reading a guide for doing just that once but cannot remember the text or if this is just wishful thinking. I'll certainly have a go at it on my own, but would love to see what others have done with this interesting artifact if they've put it into their campaigns!

Cheers 
The Compendium is a 4th Edition resource only; it has no information pertaining to previous editions, nor is it supposed to.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
If you will give me a list of what the teeth did and how strong you want them to be I can remake them in 4e pretty quickly.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
The Compendium is a 4th Edition resource only; it has no information pertaining to previous editions, nor is it supposed to.

Yes, I am aware of that thanks, I should have clarified that since some 1st Edition artifacts (Cup and Talisman of Al'Akbar, Rod of Seven Parts) have been updated in the 4th Edition DMG2, I thought perhaps a quick check of the Compendium was a good idea in case any other artifacts had been similarly updated in another resource.

Yes, I am aware of that thanks, I should have clarified that since some 1st Edition artifacts (Cup and Talisman of Al'Akbar, Rod of Seven Parts) have been updated in the 4th Edition DMG2, I thought perhaps a quick check of the Compendium was a good idea in case any other artifacts had been similarly updated in another resource.

Forgive Salla.  She puts up with a lot of stupidity around here and it weighs heavily on her.
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
If you will give me a list of what the teeth did and how strong you want them to be I can remake them in 4e pretty quickly.

Cheers for that, Matyr! I appreciate your helpfulness.

As for specific powers, the original entry for them in the 1st Ed. DMG only had blank spaces for different levels of powers and curses associated with the artifacts, so I suppose I could start there by selecting from the lists of options for each.

Further to that, the set of Teeth grew in power the more you had, based upon if you had 1-8, 9-16, 17-24 or 25-32 of the teeth. I suppose a nice, meta bonus would be in order if you managed to collect all 32.

I was thinking of perhaps tying the power of the set of Teeth into the Heroic, Paragon and Epic tiers of adventuring, having the power of the set appropriate to the players' tier and then giving them the capability to grow as they campaign further, making them relevant for the entire life of the character and campaign.

After more work on specific powers, I will post back here in the future, Matyr, and thanks again for your help  
Forgive Salla.  She puts up with a lot of stupidity around here and it weighs heavily on her.

No worries at all
Sorry about that.  From the way your question was phrased, I inferred that you thought previous-edition materials were supposed to be in the Compendium ... and we have several people asking previous-E questions on these boards despite the clear '4e' labelling.

My apologies.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
If there are 32 of them I'd divide them into tiers.

11 in heroic
11 in paragon
10 in epic

Set them up similar to an item set, but have it function for the entire group.

The only issue with this is that they are either going to have to be slotted items, have very small effects, or you are going to have to adjust your game for the amount of power they give to the average player.

You can also do them by grouping. Like this:

Separate them futher by color and that ties into how the power works.

32 items divided into 8 colors.
4 Red (Fire)
4 Black (Necrotic)
4 White (Radiant)
4 Blue (Cold)

4 Yellow (Lightning)
4 Gray/Clear (Force)
4 Brown (Acid)
4 Green (Poison)

Then you could have more interesting set bonuses (Like each set has a 2 piece and a 4 piece and there is something for having 1/2/3/4 of each color).

Granted I know nothing about the artifact, but this is just a shot in the dark here.
Show
Sorry about that.  From the way your question was phrased, I inferred that you thought previous-edition materials were supposed to be in the Compendium ... and we have several people asking previous-E questions on these boards despite the clear '4e' labelling.

My apologies.

It is no trouble at all, Salla! I certainly appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Yes next time I'll be more explicit in my posts, I don't like to leave things vague especially since I'm new to these forums so eventually I'll get a hang of common topics and themes!

Cheers
If there are 32 of them I'd divide them into tiers.

11 in heroic
11 in paragon
10 in epic

Set them up similar to an item set, but have it function for the entire group.

The only issue with this is that they are either going to have to be slotted items, have very small effects, or you are going to have to adjust your game for the amount of power they give to the average player.

You can also do them by grouping. Like this:

Separate them futher by color and that ties into how the power works.

32 items divided into 8 colors.
4 Red (Fire)
4 Black (Necrotic)
4 White (Radiant)
4 Blue (Cold)

4 Yellow (Lightning)
4 Gray/Clear (Force)
4 Brown (Acid)
4 Green (Poison)

Then you could have more interesting set bonuses (Like each set has a 2 piece and a 4 piece and there is something for having 1/2/3/4 of each color).

Granted I know nothing about the artifact, but this is just a shot in the dark here.

I really like how you've split things up here, Matyr, it all makes perfect sense and gives me a great template for bringing this artifact into my 4e campaign.

It is also good of you to mention the power they give to the player and how to slot them, etc, as with these especially it'd be all too easy to fall into the trap of making them over-powered.

I'll get to tinkering with these and will post back here with what I come up with. Thanks for the jump start there!

I'm sure you're familiar with how 4e handles artifacts - 'concordance' and all that - have you seen the "Item Sets" in AV2?  The idea is that a character collects items from the same set for additional powers.  Combining the two concepts could be a way to handle the Teeth.

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!