Elbrus, the Binding Blade as your Commander?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I found about a week ago that if Garruk Relentless is in a EDH deck, the commander must have green AND black. This is because the black color for the other face of Garruk is part of his color identity.

So that got me thinking, since both sides count for color identity and Elbrus, the Binding Blade is a legendary artifact with the other face is Withengar Unbound , a legendary creature. So could Elbrus, the Binding Blade | Withengar Unbound be used as your commander?
I believe the answer is no.

I extrapolate that from this rule.
711.2a In every zone other than the battlefield, and also on the battlefield with its front face up, a double-faced card has only the characteristics of the front face.

by extension, outside of the game we can reasonably infer that the card only has the characteristics of the front face (day side).

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

No. Elbrus has a black color identity because Withengar is black, but Elbrus is not a legendary creature, so it's not a legal choice as a commander.
All Generalizations are Bad
No, it can't be used as a commander.

Both sides are considered when determining color identity, but this is a bit of anomaly. Most of the time, for cards not on the battlefield, only the front face matters, and this includes when determining whether it is elligible to be a commander. Since the front face is not a creature, it can't be a commander.

Both sides are considered when determining color identity, but this is a bit of anomaly. Most of the time, for cards not on the battlefield, only the front face matters, and this includes when determining whether it is elligible to be a commander. Since the front face is not a creature, it can't be a commander.

Well I can toss that EDH deck idea in the trash... Anyways, thanks for the detailed explaination.Smile
html_removed
You could always ask your group, I would bet they let it go.

So, to be clear on this... if Loyal Cathar (/Unhallowed Cathar) was Legendary... then it would be a candidate for Commander, and that would set the color identity of a deck that uses Loyal Cathar as commander as being Black-and-White?

So, to be clear on this... if Loyal Cathar (/Unhallowed Cathar) was Legendary... then it would be a candidate for Commander, and that would set the color identity of a deck that uses Loyal Cathar as commander as being Black-and-White?

Yes. It is the non-creature issue with The Blade
correct

but there are no legendary DFC creatures, sadly
Elbrus is close, but not close enough
proud member of the 2011 community team

Yes. If loyal cathar was legendary, it could be used as a commander, even if unhallowed cathar was not. The deck could then use black and white cards.

Oh, and in case you're curious about flip cards, only the "unflipped" half is considered. Callow Jushi cannot be used as a commander, even though it's flipped half is a legendary creature, but Rune-Tail can be used as a commander, despite the fact that its flipped half isn't even a creature (note that while Erayo could in principle be a commander, it is banned).
And the follow-on question: when you would have the choice to return the card to the Command Zone when it was due to be placed in Graveyard or Exile - is that regardless of whether it was going there as a Loyal Cathar or an Unhallowed Cathar?

Or would it dying/exiling while on the Unhallowed Cathar side cause it to 'miss the boat' on the command zone return opportunity (because that would only be considered were it a Loyal Cathar)?

I know, I know, all theoreticals here, but some people play pauper EDH without requiring Legendary commanders.
You could command-zone the cathar regardless of what side it was on when it died.
All Generalizations are Bad
The Mimeoplasm wouldn't work as a Commander if the replacement effect required it to be in its "natural" state

or a morphed Akroma, Angel of Fury
proud member of the 2011 community team