1/7/2013 Draft Simulator

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Link in the Booster sim leads to the old 12/3/12 draft for some dumb reason for me.

Anyway was really kind of going all over first pack a bit.  I finally think I ended up going mainly Green splashing both Red & Black for like 5 cards each.  Red for Thundermaw, 2 Searing Spears and 2 Krenko Command.  Black ofc for Nefarox , Gorgon, Mark of Vampire and Duskbats.  Although that is being really greedy I like to be greedy in magic.  Especially if I get the Thrag + Roaring Combo going giving me 5 Life a turn or the Roaring Darkbats for draining opponent for 2 life a turn.

Round 1:
Thragtusk
Divine Verdict
Bloodhunter Bat
Searing Spear
Ring of Kalonia
Ring of Xathrid
Flinthoof Boar
Farseek
Gem of Becoming
Elvish Visionary
Bond Beetle
Goblin Battle Jester
Titanic Growth
Bountiful Harvest
Mountain

Round 2:
Xathrid Gorgon
Thundermaw Hellkite
Roaring Primadox
Searing Spear
Krenko's Command
Elixir of Immortality
Watercourser
Mark of the Vampire
Krenko's Command
Warclamp Mastiff
Yeva's Forcemage
Mind Sculpt
Ring of Evos Isle
Serpent's Gift
Plains

Round 3:
Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis
Evolving Wilds
Duskdale Wurm
Ring of Thune
Elvish Visionary
Elvish Visionary
Angelic Benediction
Primal Huntbeast
Plummet
Ground Seal
Plummet
Gem of Becoming
Erase
Craterize
Swamp

Jund mono bombs (Thragtusk, Hellkite and Nefarox). Nuff said.
Easy to do straight green ramp. Grabbed the Thragtusk (who wouldn't, even if you weren't going green?) Followed it with the visionaries and Arbor Elves, plus Vastwood Gorgers, Acidic Slimes (two of them) which can be grabbed by the Beast Tracker (either of them), plus some Prey Upon for removal. Bonus points if I can use the Roaring Primadox to yank those slimes back into my hand to recast again (ouch!) Plus a revive to pull something back if it gets taken out. (Roaring Primadox can also be used on the visionaries, the bond beetles, the trackers, the Thragtusk... Wish I could tutor for that one...)

The toughest part of building this deck would be picking what not to include. I mean the Primal Huntbeasts aren't even the best bombs in the pick- and given they're hexproof, that's saying a lot.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

Jund mono bombs (Thragtusk, Hellkite and Nefarox). Nuff said.

I don't believe you have said anything.

Here was my first pass (going G/R with no access to Thundermaw, which is suprising).  You have to make incorrect choices IMO to get to the thundermaw.

As I dislike G/W as a color combination, I don't ever end up taking Pacifism second.  So in P1P3, if you go Black instead of the Ring, here is what I end up with:

Going white, you end up having almost no white and a very solid G/w deck.  Nevarox could have been a splash but you end up getting another Pacifism and nothing to make you go black at that point.

The most interesting deck is if you go G/U

Slower than all of the other decks, but has multiple counters, Tricks of the Trade for your Huntbeasts, and plenty of removal which is usually lacking in U/G. 

WHHHHAAATTTTT???!!!!
How did some people get a Thundermaw????

There is no way in all seven hells that anyone (computer or not) should ever pass that in draft.  EVER!  Unless it's because there was a foily one and you took that.

Ok, I just redrafted several times to see what triggered the Thundermaw to pass.  It appears to be the Goblin Battlejester vs. the Timberpack Wolf.
Seriously?
SERIOUSLY?
If I take this craptastic 4 drop 2/2 goblin that is ONLY good in nigh-mono-red decks, it makes the computer pass the 5/5 hasty dragon?

Round 1:
Thragtusk
Pacifism
Plummet
Bladetusk Boar okay, okay, this was a mistake and I know it.  I shoulda taken the spear.  I like this card too much and I know it.
Arbor Elf
Dragon Hatchling
Flinthoof Boar
Farseek
Timberpack Wolf Apparently if I take the sub-mediocre Battlejester here instead of the slightly better wolf/bear, I force the guy to my left out of red and into green and get a dragon in P2p2...=s
Elvish Visionary
Omniscience
Goblin Battle Jester
Ring of Kalonia
Bountiful Harvest
Mountain

Round 2:
Acidic Slime  I had a hard time passing the gorgon.  She is worthy of hating in limited.  Then again, the slime is a freaking AWESOME utility card too.
Flames of the Firebrand
Roaring Primadox
Searing Spear
Primal Huntbeast
Prey Upon
Prey Upon
Mark of Mutiny
Yeva's Forcemage
Vastwood Gorger
Yeva's Forcemage
Battle of Wits
Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
Serpent's Gift
Plains

Round 3:
Flames of the Firebrand another painful choice: this time between a powerful offcolor bomb and a solid oncolor removal spell.
Evolving Wilds
Duskdale Wurm
Rummaging Goblin
Intrepid Hero
Cleaver Riot
Canyon Minotaur
Revive
Dragon Hatchling
Ground Seal
Plummet
Fog
Erase
Craterize
Swamp

Whatever.  Went R/G.  Thought about splashing white, but decided I wanted the more consistent mana base.

Wow.  I feel like a sour grape.  I was completely and totally happy with my draft until I heard that there was a way to snag that Thundermaw.  I feel shallow.

Creatures (14)

Non-Creatures (9)
[deck]
1x Prey Upon
1x Plummet
1x Farseek
1x Ring of Kalonia
1x Searing Spear
2x Flames of the Firebrand
1x Mark of Mutiny
1x Cleaver Riot
[/deck]

Lands (17)
[deck]
1x Evolving Wilds
8x Forest
8x Mountain
[/deck]

Creatures -14
1-1
2-2
3-4
4-3
5-2
6-1
7-1

Non-Creatures-9
1-1
2-4
3-3
4-0
5-1
6-0
7-0

Total-23
1-2
2-6
3-7
4-3
5-3
6-1
7-1

Creature curve is barely within my personal allowable range, but it should still work.
Primadox has PLENTY of juicy targets: visionary draws cards, beast tracker fetches another creature (up to 3 targets in this deck), forcemages pump another guy for a turn, acidic slime blows up something else, and then there's the dream:  Thragtusk. =DDDDD

My creatures are plenty large enough for prey upon to be fantastic, and if they aren't, well....there's always ring of kalonia and a couple turns. XD  12 of my 14 creatures are green so they will grow to stupendous sizes.  3 burn spells to clear out nuisances.  The Mark of Mutiny and Cleaver Riot help force through the final points of damage. And the farseek ramps and color fixes (awesome stuff).

Looks good to me. =D

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I have a really bad habit of always being part Black when I don't see a bomb that's in my colors, or when I see a bomb Black card. I didn't get passed the Thundermaw, and I know that if I did, things wouldv'e turned out better for me. Was really hard to pick between the Gorgon and Acidic Slime for me, and I really didn't like the white removal around. Also picked other useless stuff over Searing Spear, which I now really feel stupid over. Over all though, I think this deck can go Green with a splash of Black. Not my best Draft...

Round 1:
Thragtusk
Elvish Visionary
Bloodhunter Bat
Searing Spear
Arbor Elf
Ravenous Rats
Elvish Visionary
Farseek
Timberpack Wolf
Bond Beetle
Bond Beetle