best gatecrash guild to play at the prerelease

58 posts / 0 new
Last post
Apologies if this question belongs in another sub-forum.

I have been looking at the abilities specific to each guild, and as a total noob and consistent loser online to moneyed up decks, this is what I have:

Orzhov extort: Straightforward, I like the life loss to the opponent part. Likelink by itself is a defensive ability.

Dimir cipher: Very difficult to decipher (pun intended). I have read the description available to date continously for 30 minutes and I think I finally have it. You get to play whatever the cipher ability is on top of a creature card in a way similar to an arcane card from the Kamigawa block. I can only imagine the back and forth at the prerelease from those who did not spend a long time reading and re-reading the description of this extremely complex ability.

Gruul Bloodrush: Straightforward, and it can pump a creature well, but you just discarded another creature. It does not sound like a winning strategy unless you pull three of the Gruul planeswalker at the pre-release.

Boros Legion: Straightforward, and does not lead you to discard (bloodrush) or to have to attack for trigger (indecipherable cipher). If you pull a bunch of white weenies at the pre-release this looks like a really playable ability.

Simic Evolve: Straightforward, but highly dependent on card draw probabilities. If you pull too many of your heavy creatures first and don't have any token generators any card with this ability will not use it.

I am for either Orzhov or Boros, and leaning towards Boros.

Please check out my Blog:

Magic the Gathering Adventures Blog

http://mtgadventures.blogspot.com/

Please check out my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubiera22/featured

If you want an aggressive strategy, Gruul or Boros. The difference is basically in size.

All I'll say about Simic is that you should splash black for removal. You'll be splashing a color in each of these, anyway.

Orzhov is a very control-heavy, grindy strategy.

Dimir, look for unblockables. If you have enough of them, cipher can be broken.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I am liking Dimir then....anything that is breakable is very playable.

I wish one of these abilities was something like Mirrodin Affinity. When I read affinity I was like "So broken, awesome!"

I am liking Dimir then....anything that is breakable is very playable.

I wish one of these abilities was something like Mirrodin Affinity. When I read affinity I was like "So broken, awesome!"

Believe me, you don't want it to be like affinity, because then every deck you face will be that ability.

Affinity was broken because free artifacts have been a thing since Alpha, and making them lands doesn't fix that problem. Then you have death triggers and sac outlets. (Disciples also appear in another deck involving Flash and Protean Hulk with X-cost "0/0 with X +1/+1 counters" artifact creatures for a potential t0 win.) Mirrodin was full of broken cards (Skullclamp also comes to mind.), but none were as bad as affinity. (All of which is still hilarious because Tolarian Academy is designed with a similar "get big things out quicker if you play more artifacts" take-home message.)

In Legacy, the general consensus is "Thank God for Null Rod."
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
Thanks, I wasn't around when Affinity was played. It would suck if every deck played the same cards.

This is a probably wait until the entire set is revealed thing to decide. I mean, if one of these five is your favorite, why not, go for it, but if you're looking to 4-0 your prerelease for value, which some of us are, then you'll just have to wait. 
Well, even once we get all the cards in, it may be difficult to figure it out immediately. Case in Point: Return To Ravnica prerelease everybody was thinking Rakdos was going to fail and Azorius or Izzet was going to dominate. And then Rakdos did really well and Izzet flopped (overall).
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Well, even once we get all the cards in, it may be difficult to figure it out immediately. Case in Point: Return To Ravnica prerelease everybody was thinking Rakdos was going to fail and Azorius or Izzet was going to dominate. And then Rakdos did really well and Izzet flopped (overall).

I mean, are we really surprised about everything that the izzet hype machine is? 
I might pick Gruul just so my deck can have a higher-than-normal percentage of creatures AND a higher-than-normal percentage of combat tricks.
I think Dimir looks like it might be fun to play, but if we are seriously talking about what is most likely to win, I think it is way to early to make any sort of educated guess.  We dont even know what removal is going to be available in the set which could have a big effect on this decision.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

I might pick Gruul just so my deck can have a higher-than-normal percentage of creatures AND a higher-than-normal percentage of combat tricks.

Gruul's looking strong. Maybe bloodrush might make trample matter. I personally like Dimir, though. Unblockable, and your own pseudo-sword effect.
139359831 wrote:
While i intend to play 4 different guilds in order to try them out, so far my thoughts go:

Dimir-potentially devastating, but also requires you to get very specific cards to work together, and atm need to go into green for unblockable, but milling is always dangerous in limited since people only play with 40 cards. So far many ciphers are very expensive though.

Boros - Meh, works best with synergy, synergy is unreliable in limited, so this looks to be very hit and miss, not decided yet if I want to go for it or not.

Orzov - My other big doubt. While games can last longer in limited and thus make extort good, the question is if the raised manacosts are enough to pull it off, and we dont know yet if the set has enough removal to stop enemy biggies. I think it will do good, and can potentially outlast the enemy, but lacks potent bombs unless you go for the very expensive black dudes.

Gruul - So, you get both creature AND a combat trick in the same card?! This is insanity. And if you say "meh, i am discarding a card." - yes, you are also discarding a card if you play a giant growth, but that does not make it bad. Here you can basically have your cake and eat it, fill you deck with both creatures and tricks without having to chose. I suspect gruul will be potentially the best prerelease deck simply because of its sheer value and flexibility in limited.

Simic - Potentially the most underrated deck. Yes it requires some thinking, but in limited the ability to grow your critters out of reach of the enemy is pretty big, and anyone playing limited knows how a simple 3/3 flyer can be a pain to get rid of. It also features card draw and control, while being open to certain ciphers and having big creatures that grow, and unblockable creatures, that grow. This is the other deck that could be insane in limited, but unlike gruul it really requires good card synergy and some luck to get right, so will put it less powerfull than gruul. Again, we are talking limited, since in constructed it could be beastly. This is the deck i will play with my dimir buddy in the two-headed giant part of the event, and I am even considering picking it twice, but mostly because it also has the best promo in my opinion, while the others are kinda meh.

May actually end up skipping dimir, will have to see how it performs though.
Saw the Gruul charm, and I take back what they said about them being strong.
139359831 wrote:

So the fact that an uncommon is a falter in an aggressive color combination with the option of flying hate tacked on for 2 mana somehow lets you take back what other people say?

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
I imagine that Gruul and Boros are going to be the most forgiving guilds of a not-spectacular card pool, as they're aggressive color combinations with aggressive guild mechanics. Orzhov isn't far behind; while bloodrush has more upside than extort, extort isn't going to yield you card disadvantage, and extort doesn't require the sometimes awkward attacking that you might see with batallion (ie. having to attack with a 2/2 into a 3/3 just to get your batallion trigger).

Dimir and Simic are more controlling guilds from what we've seen so far, which means that they're more reliant on a better card pool.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O

So the fact that an uncommon is a falter in an aggressive color combination with the option of flying hate tacked on for 2 mana somehow lets you take back what other people say?

I meant what I said about them being strong.

Seriously, it's just "two hosers on one charm". No, just no. I didn't play Crushing Vines because Naturalize, I won't play this.
139359831 wrote:

Seriously, it's just "two hosers on one charm". No, just no. I didn't play Crushing Vines because Naturalize, I won't play this.

Rakdos Charm isn't that great, either, but Rakdos is very strong in limited.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Yeah, but red and black have things that you need in limited. Green? Not so much.

I mean, I know I haven't seen all the set yet, but I said Trestle Troll was bad, sage kindly reminded me of the "walls matter" subtheme, and...it was only on two cards, so I'm in three colors just to take advantage of it if I use the (appropriately-typed) troll.
139359831 wrote:

How is gruul charm 2 hosers on 1 charm?  What's the first ability a "hoser" for, blocking?  
Yeah, but red and black have things that you need in limited. Green? Not so much.

I mean, I know I haven't seen all the set yet, but I said Trestle Troll was bad, sage kindly reminded me of the "walls matter" subtheme, and...it was only on two cards, so I'm in three colors just to take advantage of it if I use the (appropriately-typed) troll.

trestle troll was possibly the best golgari common, just because it fit the defensive style of golgari decks.  Early game, it blocked one of your little guys and kept x/1s from attacking at all, and it also had the ability to hold off fliers (tower drake, vassal soul, sunspire griffin, isperia's skywatch, bird tokens), and lategame you could infinitely block thei biggest guy.

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
While chosing a guild, just remember that it doesn't lock you into building a deck of any specific colors. The guild determines just a sixth of your card pool, and you could easily just splash for any really good ones. As such, you should probably base your choice on the only guaranteed advantage that it could give you: the promo card. 

I, for example, am chosing Dimir for my guild. I have no plans to run a Dimir deck, given that the guild has yet to show anything that will be particularly powerful in limited. However, the promo is an absolute bomb and can mill out a 40 card deck extremely quickly. Thus, the logical choice would be to build a deck that contains either blue or black as a primary color and splash the other just for that card. This is possible for any guild promo, so that should be your primary incentive when chosing a guild.  
While chosing a guild, just remember that it doesn't lock you into building a deck of any specific colors. The guild determines just a sixth of your card pool, and you could easily just splash for any really good ones. As such, you should probably base your choice on the only guaranteed advantage that it could give you: the promo card.

At the Ravnica prerelease I went 4-1 with Izzet, splashing black.

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

I, for example, am chosing Dimir for my guild. I have no plans to run a Dimir deck, given that the guild has yet to show anything that will be particularly powerful in limited. However, the promo is an absolute bomb and can mill out a 40 card deck extremely quickly. Thus, the logical choice would be to build a deck that contains either blue or black as a primary color and splash the other just for that card. This is possible for any guild promo, so that should be your primary incentive when chosing a guild.  

Very true.  With the lack of commons spoiled its kinda of hard to say which guild would be best.  I  would based it on which promo you like more iff  winning is your top priorty. Me I am going Simic, because I like the flavor and U/G decks.  I wont be forcing it though if my pool says otherwise

At this time you could wait unitl tomorrow after the full spoiler goes up to pick you do risk the chance that your pick wont be available.  Besides basing it on the promo, I would base it on the play style each guild leans to, and which one matches the playstyle you like and/or better with.

EDIT: Also remember that you can totally swich up your deck for every game not just each match.  I know people sometimes make 2 complete decks.
I had picked Boros but later switched to Gruul. I think bloodrush is very good for limited since it turns every creature into a giantgrowth. It forces your opponent to play defensively if you have any cards in hand, because that 2/2 swinging at them could easily jump to a 6/6 or higher. I also like the Gruul promo better than the Boros one for limited play.
I had picked Boros but later switched to Gruul. I think bloodrush is very good for limited since it turns every creature into a giantgrowth. It forces your opponent to play defensively if you have any cards in hand, because that 2/2 swinging at them could easily jump to a 6/6 or higher. I also like the Gruul promo better than the Boros one for limited play.

¿por que no los todos?

(That girl saying "Why not both?" is so precious, even if the product she's hawking is nowhere near the best taco shells I've ever had.)

Make a day of it. Or two.
139359831 wrote:

¿por que no los todos?

(That girl saying "Why not both?" is so precious, even if the product she's hawking is nowhere near the best taco shells I've ever had.)

Make a day of it. Or two.

They're full up on Saturday morning, and I'm busy Sunday, so Saturday night it is.
And now that all the cards have been spoiled:

Maybe its my noob mind thinking overtime but running through the mono-colored cards I did not see any card that even closely resembled a Thragtusk or a Snapcaster Mage. We did get another rat, even if its a vanilla 2 drop 2/2. There are a couple of 'graveyard helps' black cards.

For the guilds, Boros Charm looks like the best one.

My first impression is to build me a two-color deck with black and whatever I pull that is best in the other mono-colors and avoid most of the multicolored cards in the set, unless I pull a bomb like Aurelia's Fury

Maybe its my noob mind thinking overtime but running through the mono-colored cards I did not see any card that even closely resembled a Thragtusk or a Snapcaster Mage. We did get another rat, even if its a vanilla 2 drop 2/2. There are a couple of 'graveyard helps' black cards.

My first impression is to build me a two-color deck with black and whatever I pull that is best in the other mono-colors and avoid most of the multicolored cards in the set, unless I pull a bomb like Aurelia's Fury

It's going to be pretty hard to make 23 cards without playing multicolored cards.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

It's going to be pretty hard to make 23 cards without playing multicolored cards.

good point....

I'm thinking it will be easiest to put together a decent Gruul deck but the best decks will probably be Simic and Dimir. Setting up a good cipher combo could be tricky without the right cards and while it doesn't look hard to get something out of evolve, getting a perfect evolve curve will require some luck. If you pull either one of though you'll become some sort of untouchable golden god.
I should probably nmote that my research is less than extensive and based more on guild mechanics than a wide spread look at every card in the set.

This is an intriguing idea, since I love that Dimir promo card but am not very comfortable playing U/B.  Now that all the cards are spoiled, what do you think would be the best two colors to play as primary so you could then splash the third, either U or B?  thx

I am sort of new, so I might be way off, but I think the best way to go at this sneak is to go white and then either red and splash black, or black then splash red. This will give you the best creature and removal options.

Of course, it all depends on what is pulled....
Of course, it all depends on what is pulled....

That's the big one right there. However, being that in Gatecrash you can use your faction specific promo card and get a faction specific booster, you will be generally better set up in one pair of colors.

So if you go Boros, you will likely be splashing black or green. Splashing blue is unlikely.

Yeah, I was talking about which colors to play to effectively use the Dimir promo card.  I'm already thinking of picking Boros for my first event and I hope to be able to splash black for removal but we'll just see what's in the packs.

Maybe with the Dimir promo, play W/B and splash U.  Or W/U and splash B.  Oh, heck, who knows?!?
White and green are both in guilds that share a color with dimir, and have deep pools of playables.  White is better I think, since orzhov is stronger than simic imo and white is deeper than green.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
After seeing the promos, looking at the whole set, and doing a few sealed sims, Orzhov is looking pretty good. Plenty of removal at common (though, admittedly, two of those clash - the 'sac a creature' instant and the 'pacifism' aura), and one of their better removal spells - the one mana black aura - would combo very well with Treasury Thrull, the promo.

Of course, there are drawbacks I also noticed when playtesting one of those sealed tests. First, you have to actually get creatures in the bin - which would be easy enough as Dimir, but as Orzhov it encourages early trades, just to start using your cheapest removal. Secondly, you'd need to do something to make the Treasury Thrull's attack 'safe'; trading your 4/4 repeatable recursion for one removal spell doesn't seem worth it.

Beyond that, every guild seems pretty playable. Boros is also in 2 removal colors, their promo is removal + card advantage (as well as being a bomb), and RW decks are usually aggressive and pretty easy to form. Gruul with bloodrush pretty much gives you access to a plethora of combat tricks - you've got a deck which has way more Giant Growth/Titanic Growth than you'd usually get without sacrificing creature slots. Dimir has fliers and removal, awesome card advantage in Cipher (Hands of Binding has so much potential at common), and their promo, if it doesn't beat them to death, can mill them out (not to mention it turns on that 1 mana removal aura which is a big plus).

Simic, actually, I think looks like the hardest guild to pull. Evolve has a lot of potential, but it feels like you'll need to pull a really good pool to do well with it. The issue, of course, being that neither color has the strong post-spell removal offered in WRB, so you're pretty much going to be relying on trades - which will be tough if your opponent drops a bomb. I love Simic, so may still play them yet, but the difficulty compared to the other guilds isn't helping my decision.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
I originally signed up for Orzhov a couple weeks ago and was beginning to have doubts.  I started to lean toward Gruul or Boros, but after looking that the whole set, I feel good about Orzhov.  Hopefully I'll get a few relavent Gates to splash some red or blue.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

To put into perspective how a non-bonkers Orzhov deck would look, I'll post the list I've been using a bit since one of my sims.

// Lands - 17

// Nonlands - 23
[deck]1 Soul Ransom
1 Treasury Thrull
1 Vizkopa Confessor
1 Wight of Precinct Six
1 Thrull Parasite
1 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Basilica Screecher
1 Vizkopa Guildmage
1 Orzhov Charm
1 Grisly Spectacle
1 Angelic Edict
1 Corpse Blockade
2 Assault Griffin
2 Slate Street Ruffian
2 One Thousand Lashes
2 Devour Flesh
3 Death's Approach[/deck]

Might not win a prerelease against a deck with some legitimate bombs, but even without any really bomby rares it has enough removal that it should be able to beat face without issue. And if you're able to land Treasury Thrull and get in an attack without it dying... yeah, you should have more than enough removal for the rest of the game.

Also, Grisly Spectacle is just awesome removal, especially at common. Kills most creatures that might matter, and then mills - meaning it helps enable Death's Approach
If you think you repeatedly attack with treasury thrull, you haven't played enough sealed sims.  Your game plan goes something like this:

1:  Play thrull
2:  Suicide him in if you have a bigger bomb in the yard.
3:  If you don't, just sit back with your 4/4 blocker and drain them to death. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
If you think you repeatedly attack with treasury thrull, you haven't played enough sealed sims.  Your game plan goes something like this:

Just posted my decklist above - unfortunately, Orzhov pool had heaaaps of removal, but no bomby bombs.

Just posted my decklist above - unfortunately, Orzhov pool had heaaaps of removal, but no bomby bombs.

Yes, because 1 pool is the best way to determine whether a color combo has a good amount of bombs or not.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
>.> You're not exactly supposed to rely on actually getting bombs for limited. If you're picking a guild because Deathpact Angel or Diluvian Primordial are good, or whatever cards you're thinking of, you're probably doing it wrong. I was simply highlighting that Orzhov has access to fantastic cards even if you don't get a great pool, and because one of the common, decent removal spells is an enchantment the promo card is probably going to be relevant even if you don't crack any bombs.