Is it too soon to ask? (prerelease musings)

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Which guilds are you going to play at prerelease?  I'll be playing two events and want to preregister because I'm sure slots will fill up.  I'm thinking Dimir and Boros, but I'm intrigued by Orzhov too.  Choices, choices....
Gruul, red-green has always been my favorite color combination, and it just happens that the cards released for gruul are super awesome too (at least in my eyes)

Second choice would have to be Dimir because I think that if I actually lived on Ravnica, this is the guild I would want to join haha :D 
Thinking Simic. Or Dimir. Can't decide. May go BUG. Laughing
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Rocking Gruul and Boros.  I want to capitalize on my Red Aggro cards.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Initially, I was thinking Dimir, but now I'm leaning towards Simic.  Or Gruul.  Or Boros.  OK, maybe I'll run everything.
If I got to a prerelease then I probably choose Gruul or Simic. Can't go without :G:!

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Of course we have yet to see 80% of the business spells, but we know something about the character of the guilds already, and thin-slicing is fun...

So far I would say:

1) Boros - I think the prerelease card here is probably the strongest, being almost always a 2-for-1 and a wincon all by itself. I expect Boros to have good removal, the best (non-bloodrush) combat tricks, aggressive evasive creatures, and the ability to go over the top with direct damage, or even extorting an opponent for the final points of damage.

2) Gruul - because turning sideways is wizards favourite thing to do. Can't really go wrong with a good curve, which one expects from RG, and some ridiculous combat math from bloodrush. Expect to get blown out by (anticipated) combat tricks, but otherwise this could be rakdos with the ability to block.

3) Orzhov - I'm expecting this to have access to the deepest removal suite, and the best long-term grindy game strategy. If Orzhov stabilizes could very well mean an unwinnable game for the opponent, with bleeding being Orzhov's way out of board stall and climbing back into the game.

4) Dimir - cypher is amazing, with potential to be "jundlike" in its 2-for-1-ness. Trouble is, cypher is amazing, so I am expecting the power of the cards to be nerfed unfairly. The other issue I have is that this is the milling guild, and milling tends to dilute your pool - if you're not milling your opponent you often end up ditching all mill cards. I expect those that get a good milling pool to do well, especially combined with the prerelease card, and those intending to win by damage to find themselves outraced and/or outclassed by other guilds.

5) Simic - by far the trickiest guild to assess. Its mechanic feels a lot like Golgari, which I was very happy to play in the RTR prerelease and grind out wins by attrition. But I think Simic has to get its cards in the right order for that to work and risks dead draws late in the game. For my money, Orzhov has a better attrition strategy, and will probably have the removal needed to stabilize. Could be wrong (I hope I am, as Simic has always been one of my favourite guilds).


Expect all of this to change when I see the remaining 80% of the cards.
I'm going Naya with a Boros Guild box. 
Orzhov, definitely.

L1 Judge

At first, I thought i was definitely going boros, but now im liking simic, gruul and dimir so much. 
I play for fun
Originally I planned Simic...

Then I was enraptured by Dimir....

But Gruul looked....

Oh for the love of -

I'm just cashing in and going to 5 prerelease events at a place offering enough of them, so I experience each guild. To balance it out, I won't buy any massive box-sets of boosters for Gatecrash. 
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)
That's what I'm doing too. Plus, I really liked Trostani last time, if for no other reason than because Trostani in a good token deck can totally reverse the damage done by drawing three cards a turn.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
my store has a 2HG sealed and regular sealed.

I'm planning Orzhov for 2HG, probably Dimir for regular
It depends if my goal is to win the prerelease tournament, or aquire cards that would be good for a standard deck. IMHO Cipher will be very competitive in standard with Invisible stalker, guttersnipe, and Talarad. Battalion will have trouble in standard against Supreme Verdict, Mizzium Mortars, and Terminus. However, none of those cards will be at the prerelease, and I believe that a Boros deck would give me the best chances at winning a prerelease tournament.
Green and Red are my favorite colors in draft (in most sets).  I can't wait to play Gruul, even if they are the worst by the time the whole set is spoiled.    
right now I'm looking at the overall strategies, card strengths and such. Each have their awesomeness and shortcomings.


1. Orzhov has the meh-est mechanic... I mean, you can only activate it once per time it comes up, you need to pay mana AND it can only be cast when a spell is played? =/ Orzhov has the most outrageous cards to compensate though... so far the cards I see are all more powerful than all other cards combined. A creature that doubles your black mana, a 4 drop 6/6 with minor trade issues, a 1/1 guaranteed chump block that can be abused with pump, and a guild leader that is crazy elusive and hits alot.

2. Simic's whole mechanic is built on a weak and situational mechanic. Their chances of success can be literally blown away by an overloaded cyclonic rift (haha puns). It has the best cohesion though; all the cards build on each other to create a momentum that hopefully will overwhelm the enemy before they have the mana to fully disrupt it.

3. Gruul... it has little shortcomings, really. Its mechanics compliments well with its playstyle, but it can be easily disrupted making an easy 2 for 1 for a control player. Plays like aggro, with shortcomings like aggro. The mechanic has potential though. Incoming RUG/RUB combo decks?  

4. Dimir, has potentially the best mechanic... a sorcery that turns into an un-removable enchantment? The fact that you "cast" them for free means that it works well with Extort too; it's new, interesting and can become a new strategy. However, chances are it'll suffer from the Izzet syndrome, where cards with the mechanics are wasted on trivial cards like Downsize and Mizzium Skin. As of now Dimir has the least cohesive cards and most trivial cards, and I'm afraid that Dimir won't work in both limited due to how rare-dependent it can be and in constructed due to how easy it is to counter (mills, sorcery-speed, creature based).

5. Boros has the most conditional mechanic. It can work extremely well, or it won't work at all. It being a fast quantitatively-based deck means you have to have enough threats and creature output to work its best. A few control spells or flying blockers to the head though might hamper its speedy strategies, and lead to a long, drawn-out fight which seems to benefit more to the other 4 (even gruul) guilds.


That being said, I'm going Dimir because I like the guild and I have a blue/black deck to build. Orzhov if I must.
I've seen many reviews of the Boros mechanic "Battalion" as not too great in the grand scheme of things. However, depending on the commons and uncommons, including the seemingly poor one-drop whose Battalion bonus is +2/+2, if you have a few Battalion creatures, each Battalion trigger works with the rest and you'll probably keep putting them on the battlefield. There also might be a creature not spoiled yet that gives a bonus to all attackers, or an enchantment that grants a bonus to creatures with Battalion, etc., to make the army stronger as a whole. I really think it has potential to work wonders in limited, and so I am playing it for the midnight event I plan to attend. The next day, if I make the 2HG event I'll go Orzhov, and if not it'll depend on what gets revealed as to what guild I choose.

I just hope to do well, and that I have as much fun as I did with the RtR events (though I did horribly until the gameday draft, where I did great). Good luck to us all, and may the guilds we pick be the best!
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
Orzhov and/or Simic. I am drawn to these color combinations for some strange reason.
I will play Boros regardless of what cards may bring. based on currently spoiled cards I feel that gruul may turn out to be very powerful, and I really want to try playing it at some point. Simic looks like it has a lot of potential to be great (and really fun), but i feel card evaluations in simic decks may be deceptive at first. 
Orzhov. BW is always my favorite color combo. Even though it seems the weakest right now, gotta stick with my guns.

I think Simic is gonna be pretty fierce judging by whats been spoiled so far, though. Boros might be strong and Gruul will probably have some explosive plays, but I remain somewhat underwhelmed until more cards are spoiled.
I dunno guys. What do you think?

Hint: Look at my avatar. 
DIMIR!!!  Then probably Orzhov.  And if I have any cash left, I'll probably go whichever I liked better.  Dimir, like a lot of people said here so far looks like it's the riskiest of the guilds in that you may have some cards that damage, some that mill, some that cipher.....but U/B is probably my fav combination and I hope I can pull a Lazav for EDH funsies. 
dimir, with simic on the side to add more elusive creatures at common/uncommon.  cipher = card advantage
dimir, simic, orzhov, gruul, boros 
Most likely Simic, unless my seal pool refuses to go along. 
I am thinking Gruul or Simic but Orz might surprise me once we see more cards. At my store they had a "pick your most wanted to least wanted" because we had 27 people and not everyone would get their choice. If they do that again, this is how it woud look:

Gruul
Simic
Orz
Dim
Boros
Esper Orzhov
Simic, Orzhov, Dimir, Boros, Gruul in that order.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Gruul, Dimir, Orzhov, Simic, and Boros in that order.

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

boros, gruul, orzhov, simic, and dimir in that order. 

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
I think it's cool that there are so many different replies.  I'm usually a W/U girl all the way, so as you can imagine I loved Azorius in RTR.  Looking forward to reading about the rest of the cards as they're revealed.
Boros, Orzhov, Gruul, Dimir, Simic.
I only intend to play three prereleases (but we'll see).
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Boros, Simic, Dimir, Orzhov, Gruul

The latter three could be swapped around depending on how good each guild's cards look gameplay-wise.

I will definitely be playing Dimir, however I may wait a bit through the weekend.

My thoughts on the guilds so far:

1.  Gruul seems to be the strongest, and simplest, to pull off based on what has been revealed so far.  Gruul's major weakness, it seems, is that it curves out a little on the hefty side, with most of what has been seen to be in the 4-5 CMC range, which is justifiable to assume this will largely be the case considering Gruul's flavor.  Still, there are some nice 2-drops, and I'm sure the Guildmage will be combat oriented.  Which will further fill it out.  Further, some of the evolve things are not out of the question, particularly if they sit in green.  Add on top of that the possibility of using Battallion, and it could be a pretty solid mixture (Solid enough Green Evolvers at lower CMCS, followed by big bruisers at middle CC, and throw in some efficient Boros creatures for added effect).  I'm thinking doing this Guild on the Midnight release, and from what I've seen it's definitely going to be one to beat.

2.  Boros seems like also a pretty strong contender for a strong showing.  Battalion has gotten some flak recently, however given how efficient Boros seams to be, getting the trigger to work shouldn't be much of an issue.  It also can easily break board stalls, as every 1-drop could potentially have a great impact on the game, particularly when compared to RtR guilds.  A 2/1 for 1 in limited is alright, but not particularly potent.  A 3/3 attacker, on the other hand, could alter the game heavily.  Cross-guild mechanics include bloodrush, which will complement Boros nicely, and Extort, which I don't think will have as much use for the boros player given how combat oriented it is rather than spell oriented.  That said, I don't think I'm going to play Boros.  So far, there isn't much that has impressed or interested me.  Just a twist on the standard zerg rush.

3.  Simic.  I will admit that my first thoughts on Simic were pretty negative, particularly towards evolve.  I honestly didn't think that a 1-drop flyer would get printed, nor a 1-drop in green, nor 0/4 unblockable for 3.  If you are lucky enough to get all three in your opening hand, that's a pretty dang nice curve to hit.  And this is still my main nagging problem with evolve:  It is so incredibly contingent on hitting your curve with the right types of creatures, that I think it will be widely variable and unplayable at times.  I like the concept, and I think it could show some monstrous beats, but I also think that it will show poorly at  times and become the "meh" guild.  Given that 1-drops in Simic have an even lesser impact in the late game as normal, I think that this will be the luck-of-the-irish guild.  Some people will get lucky, others won't.  The cross-guild abilities include Cipher, which I don't think will get much play, although Hands of Binding might be useful to lock up the board while you grow you creatures.  Still, doesn't have great synergy.  The other is Bloodrush, which is also another ability which is not wholly synergistic with Simic as rather than building your evolvers you are trading in those creatures for combat tricks.  Still, efficient enough Bloodrushers would find a home in a mostly Simic deck, if only to provide extra utility.

4.  Orzhov is probably my least favorite guild so far, with some of my favorite cards.  Extort does not seem very potent unless you get some efficient beaters on the board.  Granted it can break board stalls, which is what Orzhov seems to want.  That said, the High Priest looks like the chase-rare for limited play, and there are some decent enough creatures for it to work well methinks.  Still, it's long-game mentality may not work in limited play very well, and leaving open the mana to get the huge swings off of Extort may be a problem.  That said, it does have some interesting uses with the cross-guild Cipher if you splash black.  If there are some good black Cipher spells out there, every attack you get in will allow you to trigger Extort for "Free"-ish (In the sense that you don't have to pay to cast a spell).  Which is an interesting combination.  It also has access to Battalion, which could possibly help it out in the long game to eek out the damage.  Still, I think it really needs some efficient Extorters at common/uncommon coupled with some good defense abilities to really nail it.  So if I don't play all five guilds, this will be the one to go.

5.  And finally Dimir, which is just the oddball.  This is a guild that the feint of heart should not go for in limited.  Much like House Dimir, this is going to be a multi-level strategy involving Mill, Cipher, Spell triggers, and cunning resource use.  I'm liking that the Mill aspect isn't striaght up a mill strategy; rather it is a strategy to gain resources.  Cipher also seems interesting, if a tad difficult to fully utilize.  I'm particularly fond of Hands of Binding in limited play, particularly if Ciphered onto the Keyrune.  In fact anything Ciphered onto the Key rune should be interesting.  Point is, however, is that if you focus on straight mill you are probably going to lose.  The mill strategy is merely what appears to be going on, and clever players will incorporated it into a far more... grand idea of what those could be used for.  The guildmages could account for some epic life swings if there are efficient mill cards in the set, particularly if there are efficient Cipher mill cards, and lead to blow-outs.  Still, it seems like it has the Izzet problem of being rather unfocused about how to win.  There will be strong cards for certain in the guild, however setting everything up is going to be an issue, particularly without a strong card pool.  Still, I find this guild to be the most interesting to play, and will definitely play it at one of the events.  Cross-guild abilities are also somewhat nice.  Extort, as has been stated, has good possiblities with Cipheer.  Evolve is less interesting, however could shore up your early game a bit.  
I will definitely be playing Dimir, however I may wait a bit through the weekend.

My thoughts on the guilds so far:

1.  Gruul seems to be the strongest, and simplest, to pull off based on what has been revealed so far.  Gruul's major weakness, it seems, is that it curves out a little on the hefty side, with most of what has been seen to be in the 4-5 CMC range, which is justifiable to assume this will largely be the case considering Gruul's flavor.  Still, there are some nice 2-drops, and I'm sure the Guildmage will be combat oriented.  Which will further fill it out.  Further, some of the evolve things are not out of the question, particularly if they sit in green.  Add on top of that the possibility of using Battallion, and it could be a pretty solid mixture (Solid enough Green Evolvers at lower CMCS, followed by big bruisers at middle CC, and throw in some efficient Boros creatures for added effect).  I'm thinking doing this Guild on the Midnight release, and from what I've seen it's definitely going to be one to beat.

2.  Boros seems like also a pretty strong contender for a strong showing.  Battalion has gotten some flak recently, however given how efficient Boros seams to be, getting the trigger to work shouldn't be much of an issue.  It also can easily break board stalls, as every 1-drop could potentially have a great impact on the game, particularly when compared to RtR guilds.  A 2/1 for 1 in limited is alright, but not particularly potent.  A 3/3 attacker, on the other hand, could alter the game heavily.  Cross-guild mechanics include bloodrush, which will complement Boros nicely, and Extort, which I don't think will have as much use for the boros player given how combat oriented it is rather than spell oriented.  That said, I don't think I'm going to play Boros.  So far, there isn't much that has impressed or interested me.  Just a twist on the standard zerg rush.

3.  Simic.  I will admit that my first thoughts on Simic were pretty negative, particularly towards evolve.  I honestly didn't think that a 1-drop flyer would get printed, nor a 1-drop in green, nor 0/4 unblockable for 3.  If you are lucky enough to get all three in your opening hand, that's a pretty dang nice curve to hit.  And this is still my main nagging problem with evolve:  It is so incredibly contingent on hitting your curve with the right types of creatures, that I think it will be widely variable and unplayable at times.  I like the concept, and I think it could show some monstrous beats, but I also think that it will show poorly at  times and become the "meh" guild.  Given that 1-drops in Simic have an even lesser impact in the late game as normal, I think that this will be the luck-of-the-irish guild.  Some people will get lucky, others won't.  The cross-guild abilities include Cipher, which I don't think will get much play, although Hands of Binding might be useful to lock up the board while you grow you creatures.  Still, doesn't have great synergy.  The other is Bloodrush, which is also another ability which is not wholly synergistic with Simic as rather than building your evolvers you are trading in those creatures for combat tricks.  Still, efficient enough Bloodrushers would find a home in a mostly Simic deck, if only to provide extra utility.

4.  Orzhov is probably my least favorite guild so far, with some of my favorite cards.  Extort does not seem very potent unless you get some efficient beaters on the board.  Granted it can break board stalls, which is what Orzhov seems to want.  That said, the High Priest looks like the chase-rare for limited play, and there are some decent enough creatures for it to work well methinks.  Still, it's long-game mentality may not work in limited play very well, and leaving open the mana to get the huge swings off of Extort may be a problem.  That said, it does have some interesting uses with the cross-guild Cipher if you splash black.  If there are some good black Cipher spells out there, every attack you get in will allow you to trigger Extort for "Free"-ish (In the sense that you don't have to pay to cast a spell).  Which is an interesting combination.  It also has access to Battalion, which could possibly help it out in the long game to eek out the damage.  Still, I think it really needs some efficient Extorters at common/uncommon coupled with some good defense abilities to really nail it.  So if I don't play all five guilds, this will be the one to go.

5.  And finally Dimir, which is just the oddball.  This is a guild that the feint of heart should not go for in limited.  Much like House Dimir, this is going to be a multi-level strategy involving Mill, Cipher, Spell triggers, and cunning resource use.  I'm liking that the Mill aspect isn't striaght up a mill strategy; rather it is a strategy to gain resources.  Cipher also seems interesting, if a tad difficult to fully utilize.  I'm particularly fond of Hands of Binding in limited play, particularly if Ciphered onto the Keyrune.  In fact anything Ciphered onto the Key rune should be interesting.  Point is, however, is that if you focus on straight mill you are probably going to lose.  The mill strategy is merely what appears to be going on, and clever players will incorporated it into a far more... grand idea of what those could be used for.  The guildmages could account for some epic life swings if there are efficient mill cards in the set, particularly if there are efficient Cipher mill cards, and lead to blow-outs.  Still, it seems like it has the Izzet problem of being rather unfocused about how to win.  There will be strong cards for certain in the guild, however setting everything up is going to be an issue, particularly without a strong card pool.  Still, I find this guild to be the most interesting to play, and will definitely play it at one of the events.  Cross-guild abilities are also somewhat nice.  Extort, as has been stated, has good possiblities with Cipheer.  Evolve is less interesting, however could shore up your early game a bit.  




agreed. Dimir is all about setting up threats everywhere; but the cards, strategies involve and general cohesiveness is just not strong and coherent enough to match up with other guilds. I think with the exception of Boros, most draft players will need for a 2nd guild splash. Might even go straight out Esper to score the mechanic synergies AND the good cards.



agreed. Dimir is all about setting up threats everywhere; but the cards, strategies involve and general cohesiveness is just not strong and coherent enough to match up with other guilds. I think with the exception of Boros, most draft players will need for a 2nd guild splash. Might even go straight out Esper to score the mechanic synergies AND the good cards.



I do think that given what has been revealed so far, a strong Dimir cardpool will be far stronger than a strong cardpool in any other guild, simply by how strong of a threat you can be if set up well.  Throwing a bunch of Cipher spells on the Keyrune (And I'm willing to bet there will be another unblockable or several) and it will be a monster to face.  Given how controlling U/B can be, its very possible to control the board well enough that you set yourself up into a complete board lockdown.  Given you have a strong cardpool.  However, the inverse is not true.  I think a mediocre cardpool in Dimir will be far worse than a mediocre cardpool in any other guild.

So as far as sealed is concerned, it's going to rely heavily on luck.  In Draft, however, it may prove to be a strong guild to go into if the cards are right.

As for guild which could go solo, there are two in particular which I think could show some strength:  Boros, as stated, which is probably the one guild which appears will only be strong if you go straight W/R, and weaken dramatically if you splash unless for a very incredibly bomb that's at least within one of the colors (Given that you want the board to be flooded early and often, consistency in colors is a must for the guild). 

The other is Gruul, which just seems to have efficient beaters all around, no need to splash for combat tricks, and will have plenty of removal given that it is half-red.  That said, I don't think Gruul will be hurt as much by a splash of a given color, particularly into blue for the synergy with Evolve and shoring up the early game.  Even going into :W: for Boros wouldn't be bad for the same reason.  Gruul's major strategy (Based on how the abilities work) are mid-to-late game beaters, which means you should have plenty of time to set up the mana base needed to play it.  Infact, I'm thinking that if you do go into Splash a second color and you main gruul, you could possibly run more mana-producers of the splash color than normal, given how much time you have to set up to find a source for your second "main" color.  Still, I think it has strong potential on its own as a solo-guild, as the guild known for efficient beaters and with combat tricks possibly on every card, as well as red's burn. 

The other guilds will probably need to splash a second guild, as they don't seem to be able to hold up as well on their own.  Granted, Orzhov should and probably will want to stay as close solo-guild as possible, given that its Extort ability is better in that situation both in terms of having a ton of extort creatures in play and having the mana available to pay for as many trigger as possible.  Splashing a third color will weaken it considerable, as it removes space for extorters and mana sources to pay for it. 

Simic will probably need a splash to give it better consistency in the mid to late game.  It has a very strong early game, however its mid game seems inconsistent at best given what's been shown, and how evolve works as a mechanic.


Boros with a splash of Gruul for the combat tricks of Bloodrush will be a powerful strategy in limited, I think. That'll most likely be my splash color, unless my extort cards make for good 2-point life swings every now and again.
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
It's way too early for any of us to accurately know how any guild is going to play.  Commons make up the heart of any Limited deck, and we haven't see very many of those at all.  (Especially removal, which is key.)    
I dunno guys. What do you think?


Based on your avatar I'm guessing... the correct one?

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
I dunno guys. What do you think?


Based on your avatar I'm guessing... the correct one?


he's totally going orzhov

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.