Guildgate Message

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
Passing this on from MTG Salvation.

According to some people, the flavor text in the ten guildgates have misaligned letters. They're off by a few pixels, but it's apparently there. At first, it may seem like you're just seeing things, and it's hard to find if you don't know exactly which letters to look for.

The misaligned letters are:

Azorius: Senate justice foundation Ravnican (TIFI)
Izzet: those release their creations (HLRC)
Rakdos: Enter indulge may again (EDAA)
Golgari: starving rest Ravnica (GSV)
Selesnya: united open and (UON)
Simic: and comprehend perfection (DOHR)
Gruul: leave the shackles behind (NLTA)
Boros: merciful hearts cries (LRCE)
Orzhov: wealth security for (WEYO)
Dimir: mastermind spies lies deception (ISET)

Apparently, the misaligned letters, when arranged, say this:

THE GUILDS OF RAVNICA WILL DESTROY EACH OTHER 

Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
interesting...     
If you look real close in the background of the Guildgate arts, each contains a piece of a map that reveals the location where NASA faked the moon landing.
Rules Nut Advisor
Seems legit. Set your zoom level to something really high like 400% to see it. In some cases the bottom of the letter is lower or higher than the other letters (for example, the l in 'release' or the r in 'their' on Izzet Guildgate starts higher than the rest of the letters in the word). In other cases the letter appears to be stretched (in 'justice' on Azorius Guildgate, notice the dot of the i is higher than the dot of the j. Though maybe this is due to the same effect as before).
also the words containing misaligned letters describe the guilds pretty well.     

Edit: mostly.        
Okay, so... despite my facetious earlier comment and my inherent desire to blame this on weird kerning... it really doesn't bear up. The differences, while subtle, are too obvious once you know to look for them, and the message is too perfect. I have to admit this seems pretty legitimate.

And now I'm going to be up freaking out about how many other hidden messages we may have missed. Wonderful.
Rules Nut Advisor
I always assumed the Izzet would spark a war. The Dimir would capitalise on it. The Gruul would rebel. The Simic would cause the sinkholes, and the eventual splitting of the city into continents and landmasses surrounded by oceans...

But I doubt they'd wipe each other out completely.

I mean, it's not like Wizards just completely erase worlds or an...

Oh wait...

Yell 

DCI Judge Level 1

I-I'm getting goosebumps. (Shivers) This does not bode well.

Let's see....Selesnya prepares for war, readying to force the city to follow their cult-esque ideology and bring the Worldsoul to all.

The Gruul....always want to destroy civilization.

The Dimir seeks to dominate the city, in practice if not in appearance, and the guilds serve as excellent puppets to either manipulate or take the blame.

The Boros always seeks to turn as much of the city as they're allowed under their rule.

The Azorius seek control through legalities and politics.

The Golgari bide their power and time.

That's 6 of the guilds that the Planeswalker's Guide to Ravnica and various flavor texts suggest are ever-ready or getting ready to fight or war. Rakdos doesn't seem to be particularly...different or more direct in their approach to suggest that they are actively plotting to overthrow the other guilds. The Simic seem to have learned from their mistakes. The Orzhov are...well...the Orzhov. And the Izzet? Do they really care? Surely Niv Mizzet has them too busy with seemingly unconnected research, trying to learn or uncover some greater truth or new magic. I think they just like to experiment and dabble, not actually try to run anything outside of the districts they protect.
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)
Apparently, the misaligned letters, when arranged, say this:

THE GUILDS OF RAVNICA WILL DESTROY EACH OTHER

No Return to Return to Ravnica? Noooooooooooooo

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I-I'm getting goosebumps. (Shivers) This does not bode well.

Let's see....Selesnya prepares for war, readying to force the city to follow their cult-esque ideology and bring the Worldsoul to all.

The Gruul....always want to destroy civilization.

The Dimir seeks to dominate the city, in practice if not in appearance, and the guilds serve as excellent puppets to either manipulate or take the blame.

The Boros always seeks to turn as much of the city as they're allowed under their rule.

The Azorius seek control through legalities and politics.

The Golgari bide their power and time.

That's 6 of the guilds that the Planeswalker's Guide to Ravnica and various flavor texts suggest are ever-ready or getting ready to fight or war. Rakdos doesn't seem to be particularly...different or more direct in their approach to suggest that they are actively plotting to overthrow the other guilds. The Simic seem to have learned from their mistakes. The Orzhov are...well...the Orzhov. And the Izzet? Do they really care? Surely Niv Mizzet has them too busy with seemingly unconnected research, trying to learn or uncover some greater truth or new magic. I think they just like to experiment and dabble, not actually try to run anything outside of the districts they protect.

Izzet (and Niv-Mizzet in particular) are most likely the bad guys in this block. Sure, Dimir's got their usual sinister scheme, but Izzet's been dark and mysterious this whole time. They aren't after anything as overt as war, but don't let that fool you. Their research's ultimate goal is anything but pure.

Plus, you know, the last set is called Dragon's Maze. There's really only one other option if it's not the Izzet at work, and he really wouldn't fit in with the whole "guilds destroy each other" schtick.
Rules Nut Advisor
I'd still love a new Nicky card, so I'll keep my hopes up ;)
proud member of the 2011 community team
Palladia-Mors returns!!!
Niv Mizzet starts the war, manages to ascend to immortality from the wreckage. I'd like to see him as a Planeswalker.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Wow this is.... Awesome. To think Wizards could think of something so weird and far-out as this!  

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
lol checks out in other languages too. I guess some people actually do pay attention to that kind of stuff. 
How did this get caught so quickly?  WotC plant? >_>
Oh, wow, I can totally see it! Whoever discovered this gets my utmost pity, as they clearly have way too much free time.
My novel, Mektar, Clash of Ideals, is now available for purchase! Just click this text. I have +30 bragging rights according to HairlessThoctar. Just saying.
Wait, wait! That's not the only anagram in those letters! There's also this cryptic missive:

"will her dragons race to save the fluid city?"

What could that mean?Cry
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Interessting. Could be a red herring though.
But with the new guild champions in DGM we know one thing for sure: the guilds won't leave without a spectacle.
And I feel like we would need something like a civil war state to make Ravnica worth a third visit somewhere in the future, to make it feel fresh again.

I doubt the "evil Niv will ascend" stories by the way. We already have an evil dragon genius planeswalker, who is also - the color combination "villain" Niv would need to set him appart from the upcoming (already confirmed) Ral Zarek.
This is the coolest thing I've ever seen them do.
Someone was complaining about misaligned letters being a printing error on MTGSalvation and people were complaining about bad printiing practices. Then before you know it, "Oh!" it was intentional on Wizards part. I wonder if they knew people would complain before someone realized it was on prupose.Tongue Out
Wait- I found another!

"caution: evil secret. old dwarf gal is horny"

Hey, this is fun (if a little bit of a waste of time.)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Huh. I noticed the misaligned letters, but I didn't think any more of it. It's cool that it actually meant something.

I wonder if it's specifically meant to be a Dimir communiqué, or just the omniscient viewpoint?
Wait- I found another!

"caution: evil secret. old dwarf gal is horny"

Hey, this is fun (if a little bit of a waste of time.)

It's not an anagram Cletus, the message is written vertically:

Azorius:   TIFI
Izzet:      HLRC
Rakdos:   EDAA
Golgari:    GSV
Selesnya: UON

Orzhov:   WEYO
Dimir:       ISET
Gruul:      LTAH
Boros:     LRCE
Simic:      DOHR

Weird that its written in the guild-gates. Why do you suppose that is?

Bored desinger with too much time on his hands?

Maybe something to do with those 'Gateless'?
In the book, "The Secretist," Jace is investigating a hidden map and message that runs through all of the guildgates. So it makes a lot of sense for this to be on the guildgates.

Also, Maro has confirmed that there will eventually be a Return to Return to Ravnica. But who knows how that will happen, or what the guild identities will be like.

Another thing, the map/message in the gates is supposed to lead to some kind of uber-weapon/creature that is hidden in the plane, or something like that.

Could it be Eldrazi? Or something else? 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
Another thing, the map/message in the gates is supposed to lead to some kind of uber-weapon/creature that is hidden in the plane, or something like that.

An Eldrazi would suck. We don't need another good plane getting ruined. A weapon that Gideon might claim to use against the Eldrazi, on the other hand...

they are common

they are common

Actually Guildgates are Special, In the Guild Boosters they count in the Basic Land slot.  Otherwise they are Common.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

they are common

Actually Guildgates are Special, In the Guild Boosters they count in the Basic Land slot.  Otherwise they are Common.

The guild boosters aren't real boosters, they are closer to intro packs than boosters in a way... (apparently the contents are preset and not altogether random).
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
they are semi random
each guild has a few possible boosters with fixed content
Honestly, I think these kind of cryptic flavorings are what Magic needs more of considering that Magic has something of a cult following, even if that following is rather substantial in number (if not in capacity for bathing :P)

I don't think the setting for Dragon's Maze is going to be as simple as "Mizzet r bad gai"- but rather the idea of "Returning to Ravnica" is to set up a new plot device for Magic as whole. I think the "1 set equals 1 plane" idea has burnt R&D out since the onset of Rath later Mirrodin. Rather-  the future of Magic set design is probably more appropriately created by  multiple settings in which events relative to the plot take place across the multiverse (think like Planechase zoomed to a more appropriate scale), and perhaps RTR is a sendoff to the Mirrodin-Innistrad method of designing blocks. I'm just kidding- I don't have that much faith in R&D's capacity for creating something so immersive, broad and frankly- compelling.

Then again, I do like the idea of Ravnica's :G: guilds doing a Dune-esque terraforming to ruin the city-planet built by Mizzet.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
In the book, "The Secretist," Jace is investigating a hidden map and message that runs through all of the guildgates. So it makes a lot of sense for this to be on the guildgates.

Also, Maro has confirmed that there will eventually be a Return to Return to Ravnica. But who knows how that will happen, or what the guild identities will be like.

I hope it's the Nephilim again. They haven't made any mention of the Cult of Yore yet.....

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
seriously no one tried looking at gatecrash guild gates for a message yet?

they are indeed there, thats what I found:

Simic: d h r

dimir: i e t

gruul: l a h

boros: r c e

orzhov: couldnt tell, maybe p or some t. Its weird that none of the supposed 3 letters are easy to distinguish, if they are there in the first place.

But the other four guildgates are definitely correct. 

Doh, just now I read the OP post closely. The message consist of the whole 10 guild gates xP 

I play for fun
seriously no one tried looking at gatecrash guild gates for a message yet?

Yes, they did. How did you miss the first post in this thread?

RTR guilgates say just "the guilds of Ravnica". Hey, cool easter egg, nice.

GTC guildgates have the "will destroy each other" part. NOW it's srs bsns

[<o>]
Sign In to post comments