Adventures for beginner dms?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, does anyone have recommendations for adventures for low lever characters, suitable for beginner dms (except Keep on the Shadowfell)?
DNDInsider.com has a vast supply of archived adventures from both Dungeon and Dragon magazines.  I'd recommend starting there, if your local game store is of no help.  If you still can't find what you're looking for, Google, for the win.
If you can find it, get the red box. It retails for like $20 and it has everything needed by new dms and players alike.
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
What would you describe as being suitable for a beginner DM?  Easily understood content?  Fewer books/supplies needed?
You can look through the different things from DnD insider or you can go here:

Livingforgottenrealms.com

They have a ton of adventures free-to-download that work at all varying levels of play.  And each module contains everything you need for the full adventure step-by-step.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/200...
This is in the archives for wizards websit.  Has a lot of adventures to play with and scale down or up.
I would suggest just running 'Kobold Hall' in the back of the Dungeon Master Guide. You can be lazy and not look over tons of adventures. It's a simple story, with enough hooks to get your players moving. The first few combat encounters are just one or two NPC's, but after that each new encounter slowly builds in complexity. I've been through the adventure it's not the 'Lord of the Rings', but it's engaging.

I won't worry to much about what you use for your first adventure, just don't pick anything really complex.
I would suggest just running 'Kobold Hall' in the back of the Dungeon Master Guide. You can be lazy and not look over tons of adventures. It's a simple story, with enough hooks to get your players moving. The first few combat encounters are just one or two NPC's, but after that each new encounter slowly builds in complexity. I've been through the adventure it's not the 'Lord of the Rings', but it's engaging.

I won't worry to much about what you use for your first adventure, just don't pick anything really complex.

Oddly enough "Lord of the Rings" would be really crappy adventure.  Always running away from things, following a DMPC (Gandalf) the whole time, only getting better equipment once and zomg splitting the party.
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Orcs of Stonefang Pass (lvl 5) is pretty well written and easy to DM.
FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
Would second the Red Box adventure.... Everything you need and a simple story. Also, as far as modules, The Slaying Stone is a great and easy module to run, all maps provided, self contained and fun NPCs!

Oddly enough "Lord of the Rings" would be really crappy adventure.  Always running away from things, following a DMPC (Gandalf) the whole time, only getting better equipment once and zomg splitting the party.

LOL but you could roll super crappy characters (pick a hobbit...any hobbit) and still get to be important!

LOL but you could roll super crappy characters (pick a hobbit...any hobbit) and still get to be important!

If you can think of a story book or movie that is better, just throw it out there.

The point is, pick a simple adventure. I wouldn't fork out money to begin with, there are other free options.

If you can think of a story book or movie that is better, just throw it out there.

The point is, pick a simple adventure. I wouldn't fork out money to begin with, there are other free options.

I wasn't trying to poke fun at you, just remembering a time where someone tried to actually run the LOTR in 3.5.  It was very unfun to play through.
Show
Matyr, I would imagine that actually roleplaying LOTR, when you already know what is coming next, would be unfun. I can see your point.

Using the world of Middle Earth could be fun, provided that the party aren't adventuring at the same time as the LOTR or the Hobbit. People don't want to re-live the books and movies they see, but have their own adventure.

Back to the issue at hand. If the OP doesn't mind spending money, try the Dungeon Delve book. It's got a nice simple collection of adventures, with just the bare bones.
Halls of Undermountain is as simple or complicated as you want it to be. There's tons of information, but you don't have to use all of it if you don't want to.

I like the old classic "Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh". Sure, you have to update it with new monsters and such, but it is still a fun classic, and I consider it one of the all-time greats. Sure, everyone went through Tomb of Horrors and died 20+ times, but that was never fun to me. SSoS was fun every time. (1st edition, my update to 2nd edition, and even when I bumped it up to 4th edition).