Question about extra phases

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
If an effect let you take an extra phase of your choice, could it be used to get an extra untap step (not a phase I know but surely it exists within one)? What about, say an extra cleanup (I honestly can't even remember if cleanup's a phase or step)?
The Beginning Phase includes the Untap, Upkeep and Draw steps.

The Ending Phase include the End and Cleanup steps.

No such card currently exists, but if a hypothetical effect did allow you to choose an extra phase, you could choose the beginning phase or ending phase to get 2x untap steps or 2x cleanup steps.

But as Ikegami highlights, the untap and cleanup parts of a turn are steps, within phases (the beginning and ending phases). 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Wow. I think won of my YMTC contestants just made the most broken card since Urza block then. I feared this was the case.
note: having two untap or cleanup steps would be mostly useless as likely nobody would be able to do anything during them

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

but having 2 whole beginning phases is useful
proud member of the 2011 community team
Two beginings + "mana doesn't empty" = !!!