rarity comparisons

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I always get a kick out of certain comparisons of cards at different rarities.

Viridian Zealot vs Qasali Pridemage... pridemage seems to have a definite advantage.

Nether Traitor vs Reassembling Skeleton... is it a plus that the skeleton can block consistently?

Shriekmaw vs Dark Hatchling

What are some others? Bonus for commons that are out right better.

3DH4LIF3

This happens when you compare cards that are created a long time apart. 

And Nether Traitor is certainly better than reassembling skeleton.  
I figured the traitor had an edge with haste and shadow...

3DH4LIF3

Compare the Mirage block fetchlands to the Odyssey/Zendikar block fetchlands.

It also happens with different colors, though it's annoying when something a color's supposed to be good at is strictly worse than something that color's supposed to be bad at.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Yeah, comparing creatures across time based on rarity doesn't show much. Most obviously, cards like Serra Angel, Sengir Vampire, Archangel, and Dancing Scimitar have dropped from rare to uncommon due to creatures power creep.

As for outright better commons: Lightning Bolt vs pretty much any other bit of cheap burn ever. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Jace, the Mind Sculptor vs. Unsummon

I see what you mean.
As for outright better commons: Lightning Bolt vs pretty much any other bit of cheap burn ever. 

Galvanic Blast
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
Galvanic Blast

Not even close. Galvanic Blast is better only when you have 3+ artifacts out. In any deck that can't do that (Or can't do that consistently before it needs to use its burn), which is to say 95%+ of all red decks, Lightning Bolt is better.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Yeah, comparing creatures across time based on rarity doesn't show much. Most obviously, cards like Serra Angel, Sengir Vampire, Archangel, and Dancing Scimitar have dropped from rare to uncommon due to creatures power creep.

Serra and Sengir were both uncommons in Alpha through 4th edition. The bump to rare was because of the historic reputation of the cards and the fear of their ability to disrupt Limited play. Experience proved they were not good enough to deserve the rare slot.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

I always get a kick out of certain comparisons of cards at different rarities. Viridian Zealot vs Qasali Pridemage... pridemage seems to have a definite advantage. Nether Traitor vs Reassembling Skeleton... is it a plus that the skeleton can block consistently? Shriekmaw vs Dark Hatchling… What are some others? Bonus for commons that are out right better.

Zealot was printed in a block where Shatter was good and Terror was not.

Traitor is usually unblockable.

Hatchling flies (sometimes better than fear, sometimes not), can nuke artifact creatures, and has an extra point of toughness. The only thing that let's Shriekmaw compare with it is the Evoke ability, which abmittedly is very nice. And Hatchling has always been considered a ho-hum card.

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Serra and Sengir were both uncommons in Alpha through 4th edition. The bump to rare was because of the historic reputation of the cards and the fear of their ability to disrupt Limited play. Experience proved they were not good enough to deserve the rare slot.

I suppose you could compare Air Elemental to Ethersworn Adjudicator... the mythic's only downside is being dead to Naturalize

Though Serra Angel to Baneslayer Angel is pretty onerous. At least its expected that the mythic be... mythic.

I completely forgot about the mirage fetches and the new ones.  At least the Mirage fetches have nice artwork.

3DH4LIF3

The problem is more that time gap than the rarity one. Comparing Mirage fetches to modern fetches isn't something that should be based on rarity, really. Mirage was made something like 3 - 4 years into Magic's existence, and they were still experimenting with ways to do duallands that weren't, you know, duallands.

I do find it funny that we got the Tempest duals at all. Talk about a low-point for producing two colors.

I do find it funny that we got the Tempest duals at all. Talk about a low-point for producing two colors.

The Tempest "duals" were just painlands and depletion lands, card concepts originally from Ice Age. Though the enemy colored painlands (which weren't in Ice Age) having a comes into play tapped clause was annoying.

Viridian Zealot could be considered better than Pridemage if you consider that it has a functionally relevant creature type. Also better if you don't plan on running white, obviously. It's really not so cut and dry with those two.

The Tempest "duals" were just painlands and depletion lands, card concepts originally from Ice Age. Though the enemy colored painlands (which weren't in Ice Age) having a comes into play tapped clause was annoying.

Taplands, actually. The depletion lands had that they wouldn't untap in the next untap phase.
139359831 wrote:

Taplands, actually. The depletion lands had that they wouldn't untap in the next untap phase.

No one is talking about those in the quoted posts. Reading comprehension fail.

You were talking about Tempest duals. They were taplands and painlands, not depletion lands.
139359831 wrote:
You were talking about Tempest duals. They were taplands and painlands, not depletion lands.

Rush_Clasic clearly autocarded a Rootwater Depths, which is quite clearly a depletion land. There were no taplands in Tempest. Pay attention.