YMtC King of the Hill!

156 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK, so I really shouldn't be starting another contest now, but I'd never seen that thread of Capashen's from seven years ago that some jerk necro'd for no good reason apart from to inspire me to make this contest. Also, because somehow I got into Champs on best contests, I figure I'd better actually do something else to make that worthwhile.

Bulletpoint rules!

General:
In this contest there are 8 hills to be fought over.
Each round (I need rounds - Capashen may be brave enough to do without, but I'm not) I will post a criteria.
When you post an entry to the round, you must declare which hill you are attacking and post a card that corresponds with the colour / type of the hill you are attacking.
Each player will begin the game with 5 lives.
I will grade out of 30: 10 points for mechanical balance, 10 points for flavour, and 10 points for firepower (wow factor!) because this is a fun contest not a nuts and bolts one.

Attacking an Empty Hill:
The highest scorer attacking an empty hill will gain control of that hill!
You cannot lose a life attacking an unoccupied hill.

Attacking a Controlled Hill:
The highest scorer attacking a controlled hill will only gain control of that hill if they outscore the card already in residence!
If you fail to gain control of that hill, you will be repelled and lose a life!
If a controlled hill is taken, no players will lose a life.

Controlling a Hill:
Once you gain control of a hill, the card which won the round for you will be kept in residence to repel invaders.
If you lose control of a hill, you will not lose a life.

Winning the Game:
The game will end when all players have lost their lives.
The winner will be the player who controls the most hills. Tiebreakers (if required) will be the highest aggregate score from those players controlled hills.

The Hills
The WHITE HILL: White Cards
The BLUE HILL: Blue Cards
The BLACK HILL: Black Cards
The RED HILL: Red Cards
The GREEN HILL: Green Cards
The GOLD HILL: Multicolour (Gold and hybrid) cards
The GREY HILL: Artifact and colourless cards
The BROWN HILL: Land cards

I would like 16 players to fight it out! I should note that I expect rounds to last ~4/5 days, but participation in every round is not mandatory. I will however be eliminating players who do not participate in 3 consecutive rounds.

On this occasion there are no auditions - it's first in first served! And by that I mean: Attack!
Hills

WHITE HILL - Controlled by BelangiaJo! (Strength 16/30)]

BLUE HILL - Controlled by Fenix! (Strength 11/30)

BLACK HILL - Controlled by Dudibus! (Strength 18/30)

RED HILL - Controlled by Rush! (Strength 26/30)

GREEN HILL - Controlled by Lobster! (Strength 18/30)

GOLD HILL - Controlled by Lobster! (Strength 19/30)

GREY HILL - Controlled by razor! (Strength 17/30)

BROWN HILL - Controlled by vlord! (Strength 19/30)
Player Leaderboard
Player - {Hills Controlled} - {Lives Remaining}

altimis -{0} - {5}
BelangiaJo - {1} - {5}
CAU - {0} - {4}
ChaosLight - {0} - {4}
Dudibus - {1} - {4}
Fenix - {1} - {5}
FTK - {0} - {4}
Glasir - {0} - {4}
Kyoril - {0} - {5}
Matt Holck - {0} - {5} Shot by his own men!
morticianjohn - {0} - {4}
Lobster - {2} - {5}
Niklor - {0} - {4}
pablo - {0} - {4}
razor - {1} - {5}
Rush - {1} - {5}
vlord - {1} - {4}
In.

hey Imi, since we're contestants in each other's contests, you wanna go in on some old-school corruption?

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Sure I love corruption. I'll trade you hills for sweet sweet pie.

But you'll have to talk that goody goody Rush into it.
Sure I love corruption. I'll trade you hills for sweet sweet pie.

But you'll have to talk that goody goody Rush into it.

nah our judging discussions are actually just me browbeating him into agreeing with me anyway.

Also, I need a criteria!

ROUND 1

Make a card that gains ground! (Interpret liberally).
Also, I need a criteria!

ROUND 1

Make a card that gains ground! (Interpret liberally).

Al Gore Grabbing Dirt-
Legendary Creature-Human

there's really no way I'm landing this joke so I'll just leave it there.

okay so let's see about a razor-ramble. those always work. I'm gonna have to unload two tonight 'cause I've got The Hunt to design for too but we'll see. first of all I have to start by saying that OH MY GOD ANOTHER CONTEST FULL OF FLAVOR CRITERIA WHAT IS THIS **** come on man.

anyway with that out of the way let's buckle down and flavor some criteria. or criteria some flavor man I don't know what is this anyway. okay let's start with a name. I like Hillcharger as a noun. nah too on the nose. Frontrunner. Keldon Frontrunner. is that thing already? no! hooray! let's start with that. that makes it red. I feel like he wants to be cheap. ? sure why not. maybe , we'll see, once we know what he does. Keldons are humans, frontrunner sounds like a scout. Human Scout. cool. now what does a red scout do? light things on fire? destroy lands? sure! nice scouting, Keldons!

Keldon Frontrunner-
Creature-Human Scout
When Keldon Frontrunner deals combat damage to a player, sacrifice it. If you do, destroy target land that player controls.
The torches they carry are not for light.
2/2

boom razorborne'd.

Green Hill! Who wants some?

Wands to Plowshares
Sorcery
Search your library for any number of lands and put them onto the battlefield. For the rest of the game you have no Mana Pool. (Thus no mana can be added to it.)

"Best decision I ever made! Gave up 'Walking a decade ago and now I've got the largest tracks of land this side of Vesuva!"
- Jace wearing Overalls and a Straw Hat Ol' Nicol McBolas Shandruu of the Fields

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
pablo, that's not a land card.

also Imi, you should make it so that, when attacking a controlled hill, lives are only lost if the champion holds onto his hill. otherwise this is basically gonna last five rounds, since every hill is going to start out controlled.

Oh, Thanks Man!

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
razor that's a good point that I didn't think of and is now part of the rules
For great justice and the rolling hills of the White kingdom!

Molehills out of Mountains |
Enchantment
Whenever a Mountain enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, you may search your library for a Plains cards and put it onto the battlefield tapped.  If you do, shuffle your library.
No matter how much ground the Giants gained, Ictharion always seemed to be another fifty miles away.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
"Interpret liberally"?  That's my specialty!

Lightning Rod
Artifact

Spells and abilities must target ~ if able.
Whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability, add to your mana pool.

Even the wildest of forces can be turned to a useful purpose.

Yay, weird Johnny artifacts!  The wording is probably non-standard but is also easy to understand and way less ugly than the flagbearers' current Oracle text.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Uprooter Wurm -
Creature - Wurm
Trample
Whenever Uprooter Wurm attacks, you may tap X untapped Forests you control. If you do, Uprooter Wurm gets +2X/+2X until end of turn and you skip your next untap step.
3/3 
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
[IN]

Look out everybody!
It's Jooooooooooooooo!
Last Bridge Run
Instant
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a creature.
Creatures you control gain doublestrike until end of turn.
For the mighty of Kaklenhold, it would be a fierce battle with much glory to be won and spoils to be looted after. For those running the bridges, it was little different from plunging headlong into the chasms they sought to cross.

Obviously for the Red Hill.
#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
I, Niklor, in the event of a situation where I am placed at L-1, in other words 1 vote away from being lynched, will bring the hammer vote down upon myself unless it is a known Lylo situation by either announcement or general consensus. Note, if the general consensus is that it's Lylo on days when it clearly isn't, I will ignore them. Please respect the self-hammer by not hammering Niklor in non-Lylo scenarios.
And Niklor!
Well the holidays sure do drag people out don't they?

I can't help but notice it's early days, but we already have contested hills!
Fun Fact 1: Capashen Dawn's King of the Hill contest was the first UnCon contest I ever participated in.
Fun Fact 2: I mimiced this contest for BCP5.
Fun Fact 3: I'm totally playing.
Run Fact 4: Imi, you're in for one huge headache. 
Me.
I would like to join this round.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Player list updated. Still 7 more slots.

Rush, I never participated in an UnCon. Sad times. 
Intrepid Conqueror
Creature - Human Soldier (R)
First strike, haste.
Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, you may destroy target land that player controls.
3/2
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Hill of the Kings
Legendary Land
T: add 1 to your mana pool
1, T, sacrifice ~: Choose another land you control. Search you library for a card that shares a name with that land, and put it onto the battleifeld tapped. Then shuffle your library.
Sorry, I interpreted super literally.

Octopus creature octopus
During your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on Octopus
~never stops growing
(1/1)

applied fore a job at wizards 7-14-2014

hasbro didn't respond

I will join~~

Since black still has a hand in mana ramp

Ruin's Reach -
Instant
Return up to three basic land cards from any graveyards to the battlefield under your control.
"You think my kingdom is only as big as the furthest building from my throne? Fool, every inch of land with a buried dead is part of my kingdom."

Think I will go with this one until I regret it or something.

Ruin's Reach -
Sorcery
Dredge 3
Add to your mana pool for each Swamp card in your graveyard.
"You think my kingdom is only as big as the furthest building from my throne? Fool, every inch of land with a buried dead is part of my kingdom."
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
In, assaulting the brown hill.

Rifternal, the Reactive tower
Legendary Land
: add to your mana pool.
: add to your mana pool. Use this ability only if it's not your turn.
"Mages that train in Rifternal are said to excel in reactive magic, at the cost of eccentric behaviours. "

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I'll play.  I'm attacking the Black Hill. Liberally interpreted.

Pawns to the Slaughter
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures. Add X black mana to your mana pool where X is the combined mana cost of creatures destroyed in this way.
The black lightning cut through them all, their blood soaking the battlefield until it started to congeal with unholy purpose.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
And Niklor!
Well the holidays sure do drag people out don't they?

More to do with circumstances regarding the untimely death of my laptop and my current boredom given how little the old desktop can do. Hopefully, it keeps me around longer than it takes for me to aquire new tech. 
#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
I, Niklor, in the event of a situation where I am placed at L-1, in other words 1 vote away from being lynched, will bring the hammer vote down upon myself unless it is a known Lylo situation by either announcement or general consensus. Note, if the general consensus is that it's Lylo on days when it clearly isn't, I will ignore them. Please respect the self-hammer by not hammering Niklor in non-Lylo scenarios.
Attacking red hill:

The Emberwhirl
Legendary Creature - Elemental
Trample
Whenever The Emberwhirl deals combat damage to a player or planeswalker, untap it. After this phase, there is an additional combat phase.
The Emberwhirl can't attack a player or planeswalker it already attacked this turn.
Every man burns; not every man heals.
6/6

Player list updated. Still 7 more slots.

Rush, I never participated in an UnCon. Sad times. 

Indeed. We should just have one anyway. I can give away free books as prizes!

I didn't notice that you limited the number of players who could participate. That makes it a lot easier to deal with, but a lot less appealing in theme. Still in.

Also, how do you lose a life? If I read thoroughly, it doesn't say.
Seems like this could easily last forever with no player limit, and simply keep track of how long people keep their hills or something :o
Seems like this could easily last forever with no player limit, and simply keep track of how long people keep their hills or something :o

In the original thread, you had a limited number of submissions you could make and the contest had a time-limit. Seemed rather elegant, actually, but demanded a high amount of activity that we might just not have right now. Also there were, like, 1,000,000 hills. I actually like the way Imi set this up.
attacking the white hill

martial throw instant
Tap creature opposing target creature(blocking or blocked by). The creature tapped lags.(does not untap during it's controllers next untap step)
Draw a card at the beginning of your next upkeep.

martial block instant
Untap target creature. It gains +0/3 and may block an additional creature until the end of turn

martial disarm instant
Return all enchantments to owners hand and unattach all equipment on target opposed(blocking or blocked) creature.

Hawmaker sorcery
Target creature gains +2/0 and laststrike (it does its damage after the combat phase at the end of combat)

martial dodge instant
Romove Creature from combat. (A creature removed from combat does not deal or recieve combat damage. Creatures blocked by it are still blocked)

martial grab enchantment creature
flash
Enchanted Creature gains: Tap an opposing creature (a creature blocking or blocked by it)
As long as enchanted creature remains tapped, the creature it tapped does not untap during untap steps.
You may choose not to untap enchanted creature during your untap step.
When enchanted creature untaps, sacrifice martial grab.

hasbro didn't respond

Neat.
In the original thread, you had a limited number of submissions you could make and the contest had a time-limit. Seemed rather elegant, actually, but demanded a high amount of activity that we might just not have right now. Also there were, like, 1,000,000 hills. I actually like the way Imi set this up.

That was my interpretation as well. Also thanks.

CL, I had the same impression (that it could last forever), but all the best contests end I think.

attacking the white hill

OK. Please pick one card.
OK

martial grab enchant creature
flash
Enchanted Creature gains:
Tap an opposing creature (a creature blocking or blocked by it) and Tap enchanted creature if it is not tapped.
As long as enchanted creature remains tapped, the creature it tapped does not untap during untap steps.
You may choose not to untap enchanted creature during your untap step.
When enchanted creature untaps, sacrifice martial grab.

Oy, it's an enchantment because I'm trying of keep continuous effects on the board for memory reasons

hasbro didn't respond

The best contests end, but the best games live on forever :o I just tend to play games more.
Only two slots left!

Round will end once all contestants have confirmed their place by posting a card. 
Let's attack the Brown hill:

Advancing Wasteland
Land

: Add to your mana pool.
At the beginning of your upkeep, search your library for a card named ~ and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

The force of destruction is unstoppable. It leaves only lost lives in it's wake.