New Keyword Cipher with Keyrune

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know this may or may not be able to be answered, but with the new keyword Cipher  (Then you may exile this spell card encoded on a creature you control. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player, its controller may cast a copy of the encoded card without paying its mana cost.) and then put it onto a Keyrune, does the keyrune retain the ciphered effect as an artifact? Or does it lose it once it stops being a creature?
I know this may or may not be able to be answered, but with the new keyword Cipher  (Then you may exile this spell card encoded on a creature you control. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player, its controller may cast a copy of the encoded card without paying its mana cost.) and then put it onto a Keyrune, does the keyrune retain the ciphered effect as an artifact? Or does it lose it once it stops being a creature?

We'll know definitavely once the FAQ and Comp Rules are released, but for now folks are assuming that it will remain in effect if the creature stops being a creature.  I think the rules manager even tweeted something about that.

EDIT: See the second post in this thread:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...(Gatecrash)_Cipher_and_keyrune
based on previous rulings of linked abilities, yes it will remain encoded

the same thing can happen presently

a Mimic Vat exiles a dead Runeclaw Bear and then gets animated via March of the Machines and somebody casts Mirrorweave at a Glory Seeker,
when Weave resolves the Glory Seeker formerly known as Mimic Vat still is linked to the Runeclaw Bear in exile and once the Weave effect ends and Vat returns to being Vat, it can put a token copy of Runeclaw Bear on the field.

There's no reason to believe Cipher would work any differently than other similar linked abilities 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Ok makes sense thanks everybody for clarifying
Sign In to post comments