1/7/2013 FTL: "Going Infinite"

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
What? No going for Omniscience to put Enter the Infinite into play? If you do that, it doesn't matter how much more mana you need to get your win condition. (See the Omnidoor Thragfire decks floating around.)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
No doubt experienced Magic players will be able to find ways to make effective use of this card, just as they can make use of cards like Final Fortune or Lion's Eye Diamond. But to a naive player, this card has the obvious defect that even with all your cards in your hand, what can you do when you've used up all your mana? Now, if you put two cards from your hand back in to the library, then it would be something.

Otherwise, a card like Stormtide Leviathan is a much more obvious (almost) guaranteed game-winner.

I certainly can understand why the card has this limitation; insanely unbalanced cards have no place in Magic. And, of course, one can always wait until one has a few more lands out to play it... it guarantees you can play any combo you have in your deck, no matter how complicated, and presumably one can work out some means of mana accel.

As for Omniscience, given its mana cost, one would almost have to cheat it into play.

Oh, wait a moment. It cures all the problems with this card: not only does it cheat the card into play, but now all those cards (well, not the lands, but you won't have time to use them) one has added to one's hand with it can be cheated out too, so one can really do a wild combo.

No wonder he didn't want to give that combo away in the article; it's a good argument for not releasing this card!

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

No mention of Laboratory Maniac? It would be incredibly cool to win with it after casting this.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Psychic spiral....
What? No going for Omniscience to put Enter the Infinite into play? If you do that, it doesn't matter how much more mana you need to get your win condition. (See the Omnidoor Thragfire decks floating around.)

No mention of Laboratory Maniac? It would be incredibly cool to win with it after casting this.

Psychic spiral....

All of these were considered, but there were far too many options to cover in one article, and I wanted to go with some of the more obscure ones this time.
While I like the design of Enter the Infinite, the specific implementation of that design makes it feel like a lot of lost opportunities and disappointments melded into one.

Specifically, the templating geek in me mourns the lost opportunity to have it actually say "Draw your library", which is far cooler than "Draw cards equal to the number of cards in your library", the design geek in me is disappointed that you put a card back instead of just making you immune to decking until the end of your next turn, and the rules geek in me mourns that the existence of maximum hand size necessitates the ugly final clause.

But hey, still a cool card. It just could have been cooler.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Enjoying your writing a lot so far Mike, but I'm a bit skeptical of your habit of playtesting your two builds against each other. If I were going to build an Enter the Infinite deck to play in an actual game, my main concern would be making sure the deck isn't too fragile. By playing a pseudo-mirror match like this you're mostly testing which variant is faster, which isn't really a consideration in a casual environment.
I was was suspecting an One with Nothing in the last deck for style points.
Anyway, countering your own spells, drawing your library and using Entomb for a sorcery instead of craetures seems like a lot of fun.
Nice article! 
I am so glad to have From the Lab back. Daily M:TG was a much more boring place without it.

I'm also a big fan of the match mini-reports. None of these off-the-wall, hyper-Johnny decks are really meant to be competitive in a tournament sense, so why not just do fun matches against other bizarre combo decks? Having the little match reports is fun and gives us a glimpse into how the decks actually play rather than just leaving them as thought experiments under ideal, imagined conditions.

Once we leave the themed preview weeks and Mr. Cannon doesn't have to labor under the need to include a specific card in all his decks, they'll probably diversify a bit anyway and thus feel less mirrored.

Great work so far. 
Given the specific open-ended absurdity of this card, I think it would have been fun to at least throw in mentions of a few other options like this. But hey, it is a ridiculous card. Following in the same tradition as Omniscience and Primal Surge.

Personally, I think it's a great card to use for assembling one of these absurd 12-part combos... But that's just how I roll  
I must under estimate the power of brain storm
I liked this.  80 card decks, and fun, original-seeming ideas!  Good work, canon, good to have From the Lab back so far!
All of these were considered, but there were far too many options to cover in one article, and I wanted to go with some of the more obscure ones this time.

Nothing wrong with that; that makes the article more informative, in one sense.

Although I was expecting an article focused on other Standard-legal cards that would work well with it, and which would include the best options. But it's better to teach the principles, and let people apply them themselves, I suppose.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

I'll just do a control/burn thing so I can play architect of thought and keep him around for long enough to play omnescience and then enter the infinate for free, then I can lay out as many burn/creatures as I want then mind sculpt, then on my next turn I psycic spiral (if he's not dead already). 
I kind of expected to see jace's erasure or psychosis crawler included in the possible cards to build around, especially with the brainstorm coming into the decks, but I like that you are exploring the corner cases.

Speaking of which, since this will now be the largest converted mana cost spell in standard, how about building around this, mindshrieker, heretic's punishment, omniscience, archangel's light and blasphemous act. I mean, it could work, right? ;)

Edit: How it works

In the 5% of cases where you don't just lose, you would ramp enormous amounts of mana to cast either ETI or, better yet, Omniscience into ETI. Once you cast ETI, keep wrathing, lifegaining or fogging until your mana sources untap, then cunningly combine mindshrieker, archangel's light, and heretic's punishment FTW.

However, along the way, feel free to cast heretic's punishment and activate three times, which should get you there also.
By the way, Haunting Misery is basically a Mortal Combat that doesn't require you to wait a turn.

Some better options if you want to win by drawing your deck: Scent of Cinder, Spiraling Embers or Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind.
Legacy players are gonna have fun with this.

the cards design is very good. as are the decks, they just ooze insanity
How is there no mention of Dream Halls!? Sure it's on the reserved list and difficult to get a hold of but it's allows you to cast it on turn 4-5 and gives you all you need to play out your deck. It does give the ability to every player, but it's still the very first card that comes to mind.
Spelltwine is probably the easiest way in Standard to cast EtI.

Mind's Desire into Omniscience & enter the infinite into stormy win goodness.

Jhoira of the Ghitu, with a timebender for good measure.

Reliquary tower + solitary confinement would be a classy win condition.

If you are casting it off omniscience and have a lot of mana to spare, words of war, words of waste, words of wind.

Mill your opponent with windfall or hive mind
If we're playing Modern, I'd definately throw Feldon's Cane into the deck as a failsafe, just in case.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Sign In to post comments