1/8/2013 SF: "Clever Tyrant"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
This doesn't quite work?  I'm not sure this is really a fun card for Commander.  First off, if you actually kill an opponent - or someone else kills them - all their permanents disappear, right?  Second, even if that wasn't true, it's DEFINITELY true upon concession (aka the "I'm going home gimme my cards" clause).  So even if the Tyrant carefully steals all the artifacts but leaves the other players alive...  upon the swing that would collect #20, or simply casting artifact #20, you then get to have an argument between the other players at the table over who should concede, and whether it should be done via volunteer, or rock-paper-scissors, or what, and possibly has one person leave the game feeling a tad aggrieved (especially if he was lobbied too hard) followed by the Tyrant player not actually winning.  Not really amazingly fun.

I suppose it's fine in a group that just doesn't concede in such situations on the honor system or the like, but relying on house rules is dangerous since even one person who isn't on board has the rules on their side...
Shrine of Loyal Legions and Precursor Golem are sensible calls, but I'm startled to see no Genesis Chamber or Nuisance Engine. Or for that matter Pentavus / Tetravus / Thopter Squadron / Triskelavus. That's where my mind immediately went upon seeing the win condition. 

I have to hand it to you for Transmogrifying Licid, though. That's an utterly awesome pairing, because once you've gained control of the creature, you can take the Licid off it, letting it deartifactify, and still keep control of the stolen beastie. Thran Forge and Neurok Transmuter are great for mass artifactisation too. 
So you guys are really going to ignore the fact we allready saw those mythics a few weeks ago? I figured you might at least spoil 1 new card each day.

Then again, I guess it was my fault for checking the onofficial spoiler ahead of time.
While it is true that in a multiplayer game someone would concede if you are about to hit 20 artifacts and some of them belong to someone else, the fact remains that you are likely to build around having a good number of artifacts.  Mycosynth Lattice can already get you to 8 artifacts if nothing else is on your side but lands, it, and the dragon, which isn't too likely.

Then again, I guess it was my fault for checking the unofficial spoiler ahead of time.

Exactly.  As far as Wizards is concerned, they are showing the card to you for the first time as it is not on their spoiler.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I assume Adam was not happy to see this card as his preview. It is already spoiled and it is a d-bag card. Every decklist about making this card work should be followed with advice as to how to defend yourself when someone tries to punch you in your face. There is no way to win with this one.
So you guys are really going to ignore the fact we allready saw those mythics a few weeks ago? I figured you might at least spoil 1 new card each day.

Then again, I guess it was my fault for checking the onofficial spoiler ahead of time.

I believe it was Chris Millar who originally said:

"So you're saying that you read SPOILERS and now your experience of seeing new cards for the first time has been SPOILED? Strange how that works."
Oh man, where did I stash my old cards? I'm sure I had a few Shatterstorm in there...
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

"So you're saying that you read SPOILERS and now your experience of seeing new cards for the first time has been SPOILED? Strange how that works."

In fairness, this article completely slow rolled the preview. The one from yesterday just came out with it and tried to make the card seem exciting. Quite frankly, that guy did a good job of trying to make a card that is just another part of the eye-rolling academy rector into omniscince combo not be the only thing people think of for the card. 

Also, the way New Phyrexia was handled showed that they do have a way of dealing with this kind of thing. This article was written in a way that just ignored it. It comes across as awkward.   

As long as we're being fair, I wonder what percentage of dailymtg readers have read whichever unofficial spoilers you guys are all talking about.  Probably much higher than as a percentage of Magic players as a whole, of course, but surely there's plenty of people like me who didn't know the card had been spoiled (until reading complaints in this forum thread anyways).

LOL @ "deartifactify".

With so many artifacts, Myrsmith might be an interesting choice as well. I could even see going Team America here, throwing in Blade Splicer, Wing Splicer, and Master Splicer (a.k.a. the playable ones). Lots of cards to choose from here.

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I love that wizards is diversifying the effects on dragons recently.  I also find it's really cool that we finally have a dragon that's STEALING TREASURE.  How friggin' awesome is that?

Only one thing I would note about the article is a typo.  Adam clearly did not mean to say "utvara hellkite" when he mentioned cards to take out of the niv-mizzet dragon tribal edh deck.
Clearly.
Nope.
Not a chance.

XD

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

If anyone's building a Hobbit-themed deck, I think you just found your Smaug!

That's funny.

-------
The art fails.  The art should be Smaug on a pile of artifacts and gold.  I'm guessing they had to do a list minute art switch, or this was left over art to be used up.  Guess I have to wait for the alternate art card to be printed. 
shrine of loyal legions was a good call.  I say myr incubator for the win.

Seems like mycosynth golem might be making a comeback.

shrine of loyal legions was a good call.  I say myr incubator for the win.

Hahaha! Awesome find!

Sign In to post comments