Help with U/W Spirit Deck

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ive been making this deck for a while so let me now what you think and if there are any changes you would suggest.

Creatures

4x Drogskol Captain
2x Phantom General
4x Doomed Traveler
2x Latch Seeker
2x Stormbound Geist
2x Niblis of the Breath
2x Niblis of the Urn
1x Drogskol Reaver
2x Spectral Rider
2x Clone
2x Tower Geist
25x Total

Spells

2x Defang
2x Dissipate
3x Oblivion Ring
2x Lingering Souls
2x Arrest
2x Supreme Verdict
13x Total

Lands

4x Island
5x Plains
4x Azorius Guildgate
2x Hallowed Fountain
2x Glacial Fortress
2x Isolated Chapel
2x Drowned Catacomb
1x Moorland Haunt
22x Total

60x Total

I would start by replacing Drowned Catacomb and Isolated Chapel with other lands.  You only have the one card that needs black, and even that is for flashback.

Replace Lingering Souls with Midnight Haunting as well.  It costs the same, has the same effect, but in addition, it's an instant.

I'd also get rid of Phantom General.  I don't think your deck has enough tokens to make it worthwhile.  Battleground Geist, Gallows Warden, or maybe Voiceless Spirit would be better options.

On an unrelated, sorry for not adding card links.  I'm not exactly sure how to yet.
thanks

example Voiceless Spirit

is just [c]Voiceless Spirit[/c*]  without the *
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/rCB4r.jpg)
I've played a bunch of spirits decks recently, and while they work, they're not overly effective. Here is a nice deck list from i3xcel:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Here is my last build:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

You should consider Sorin lord of innistrad and intangible virtrue maybe rootborn defenses

I think with spirits, Favorable Winds should be weighed against Intangible Virtue, since it affects both the tokens and all the flying spirits. Unless you are thinking you will Clone your opponents' creatures, Cackling Counterpart is probably a better card for you. To instantly copy a Drogskol Captain can work as a good response to both attacks and removal. It also works nicely with Rootborn Defenses (the latter also works nicely with Geist of Saint Traft).

You have too many cards that you play 2x of, which can be an indication that you are not sure which card is stronger. I find that Niblis of the Urn is pretty weak. 

Detention Sphere may serve you better than either Defang, Oblivion Ring, or Arrest.
Who is it that you need to tap with Niblis of Urn? All your creature have some form of evasion. If you come up against other flyers, you can sideboard in Feeling of Dread. The only thing he has going for him, imo, is that he is a 2-mana drop.

Also, what are you trying to accomplish with Defang? It just seems weak. And you still have too many cards with 2x copies, meaning your deck will not play consistently.

Finally, I think you should consider 23 lands. Do you have any more dual-colored lands to replace the Azorius Guildgate? More lands would also open you up to Dungeon Geists.
I dont have any Dungeon Geist or i would put them in what do you suggest i replace Defang with?
I have a deck similar to this and I will tell you now that between clone and cackling counterpart, cc is alot better simply because you can sorta draw out your opp's hand a bit into thinking its safe to target your stuff. Also replace lingering souls with midnight haunting. If anything, its nice that you can pop out a couple tokens at the end of your opp's turn to free up some mana. right now I feel that u/w spirit decks need to conserve as much mana as possible. I'd try to throw in some unsummons. It'll help you either control the field or protect your captains as they tend to become automatic targets.
I dont have any Dungeon Geist or i would put them in what do you suggest i replace Defang with?

Any of your good cards that you have 2x of. Detention Sphere or Favorable Winds seem like good candidates (maybe 1x of each).

Ok thanks for the help, I played it at FNM and it worked out pretty well.
Ok thanks for the help, I played it at FNM and it worked out pretty well.

Do you mind providing the results (no. of wins, losses, and ties) and the final deck list?

I won two round and lost two rounds but the rounds I lost I still won one out of three games.

Deck List 

Creatures

4x Drogskol Captain
4x Doomed Traveler
4x Niblis of the Urn
4x Latch Seeker
4x Clone
2x Stormbound Geist 
22x Total

Spells

2x Curse of Exhaustion
4x Midnight Haunting
4x Oblivion Ring
4x Favorable Winds
2x Supreme Verdict
16x Total

Land

8x Plains
7x Island
2x Azorius Guildgate
2x Hallowed Fountain
2x Glacial Fortress
1x Moorland Haunt
22x Total

I know you said that Niblis of the Urn was a bad choice but it did help me win a couple times.