[GTC-ICD] Duskmantle Guildmage

89 posts / 0 new
Last post

Duskmantle Guildmage

Creature-Human Wizard
Gatecrash uncommon
:Whenever a card is put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere this turn, that player loses 1 life.
: Target player puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard
2/2

Source: Elaine Chase's twitter
I sense a heavier mill focus than I expected.
I play for fun
That first ability could be pretty ridiculous in the right circumstances, especially if you have the mana to activate it two or three times.
Seems a little too costly for constructed, but works as a psuedo drownyard in Limited. Not bad.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

That first ability could be pretty ridiculous in the right circumstances, especially if you have the mana to activate it two or three times.

...and mana to actually activate some milling ability or cast spell?

Doesn't seem to be very good. Besides, milling decks don't care about life total.
Seems really good with Thought Scour.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
seems alright i guess?
Activate 1st ability, then use [C]Mind Sculpt[/C]...7 damage

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Ugh, not at all impressed with this.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Hmm I like Zameck more.
(And I generally prefered the more splashfriendly costs of the old 10...)
Ugh, not at all impressed with this.

Agreed, especially compared to the stellar new Simic Guildmage that got previewed.  I see this one as more on par with Nivix Guildmage in most circumstances.
EDH + infinite mana combo =  all opponents die during their next untap.

I play against way too many infinite combo EDH decks; I may need to start looking for a different group of players (or get used to shorter games.)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Yeah, for limited it feels like the Nivix of the cycle.
This is rather disappointing.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)

thats the right kind of thinking, this guys first ability is crazy, especially consuming aberation, just think of all the milling spells and abilities out there that could abuse this, jace, memory adept, selhoff occultist (in a kill spell heavy deck), stern mentor, thought scour, curse of the bloody tome, undead alchemist, mind sculpt, trepanation blade, and more...

If you played it right you could one shot the other guy with this + psychic spiral, I think that this will enable a new turbo fog type deck that allows you to mill yourself for 20 cards then cast psychic spiral and win the game before your oppenent knows what hit them; using laboratory maniac as an alt win condition.

his second ability is disapointing I wish they could have been more inventive there.

Doesn't seem to be very good. Besides, milling decks don't care about life total.

A cipher mill card is bound to happen.
I think in the right context this guildmage will perform better than ivix guildmage.

Also, chronic flooding make alot of sense now
I play for fun

That seems the point, allowing one to use milling as a means to both eat their lifetotal as well as potentially win by decking. This makes it so that milling isn't just ineffective: fight them on BOTH fronts.

Activate Dimir Keyrune's second ability, Whispering Madness the opponent, and encode the Keyrune (it stays there even when the Keyrune isn't a creature); then, drop Guildmage (if it's authentic) and use the first ability, activate Keyrune and swing. Certainly, this is mana intensive, but you can spend your early turns building up defensive strategies.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
I think I realized the wierd thing I felt about this card.

It's obvious slant is toward the milling as an alternate win condition. The problem is that it's giving an alternate win condition for milling itself, which is life loss... As in, the life loss will likely kill the opponent far faster than the original decking plan feasibly could.
Seems to have good synergy with Mindcrank
I think I realized the wierd thing I felt about this card.

It's obvious slant is toward the milling as an alternate win condition. The problem is that it's giving an alternate win condition for milling itself, which is life loss... As in, the life loss will likely kill the opponent far faster than the original decking plan feasibly could.

What I sincerely hope is that dimir doesnt care at all if they will be able to deck out the opponent or not, so that cards being put in the opponents graveyard is just a resource to other cards like duskmantle guildmage and consuming aberration. I find this way cooler than commiting a deck to mill of 50 card before losing.
I play for fun
EDH + infinite mana combo =  all opponents die during their next untap.

If you have infinite mana, all opponents die to damage--no need to wait till the next untap step. >_>

Pfft, mind sculpt.

Activate first ability, use Traumatize, win the game.

Actually, the interesting thing about this card is that the two abilities feed each other in a quadratic fashion.

7 mana: 2 damage (first ability once, second ability once)
10 mana: 4 damage (first ability twice, second ability once)
13 mana: 6 damage (first ability three times, second ability once)
14 mana: 8 damage (first ability twice, second ability twice)
17 mana: 12 damage (first ability three times, second ability twice)
20 mana: 16 damage (first ability four times, second ability twice)
21 mana: 18 damage (first ability three times, second ability three times)

As you reach 20 mana invested in one turn, the damage you get out of this approaches fireball.  Except you can improve on most of these in-practice by using these abilities when cards are already going to your opponent's graveyard.  If you can catch your opponent with two cards going to the graveyard in one turn (when they cast a couple spells, say), you basically get these damage values 4 mana cheaper, so around 6 mana you're dealing 4 damage to the dome, and around 10 mana you're already dealing 8 damage to the dome (pretty close to fireball).

Not a bad lategame mana sink on its own.  Pretty much just a bear in the earlygame.  So...typical guildmage fare, really.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Is it weird that most people at You Make the Card think my designs are overpowered, and most of you here think this card is bad, and I DON'T think this card is bad?
seems SB material in eternal, where a lot of decks just die against that ability.  but maybe there's better stuff.
Also it needs to be kept in mind that it says "from ANYWHERE" and not just from their library.

I think it's a lot more powerful than it looks at first glance. 
Also it needs to be kept in mind that it says "from ANYWHERE" and not just from their library.

I think it's a lot more powerful than it looks at first glance. 

yes, activating this ability precombat can make math wonky for your opponent, as any trade or trick loses them one life...

I'm all for some actual viable mill in standard.
Traumatize.

3DH4LIF3

Eh, this one seems like a limited only card.  Considering how Dimir is looking, it seems like it'll be coming at you from multiple sides at once.  Attack them head on, but have a secondary battle plan ready.  Most mill decks are fragile in the sense that they are easy to disrupt.  Given that dimir seem to have a solid two-sided approach it seems you should be able shift rather seemlessly from one strategy to the next. 
it just dawned on me, but if you used his first ability twice you could increase the damage your dealing with your milling

this is an infinite combo...

start the process by activating the guildmage's first ability, make them mill, they lose 1+ life from the guildmage, which means they mill due to mindcrank, which means they lose life from the guildmage, which means they mill more from mindcrank...

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
So how bout them bracers?

Also, definitely think this guy looks nice next to blood artist.

this is an infinite combo...

start the process by activating the guildmage's first ability, make them mill, they lose 1+ life from the guildmage, which means they mill due to mindcrank, which means they lose life from the guildmage, which means they mill more from mindcrank...

I see an errata coming into play or changing the wording on one of those cards. Having any mill card+Mindcrank+Guild mage is just insane. While it is not hard to get rid of Mindcrank or guildmage, that is just too easy to pull off.
They didn't change Painterstone or Helm of Obedience+LotV/RiP so I don't see a reason to change this.
What about a standard :U::B: Mill deck with Duskmantle Guildmage, Consuming Abberation, Mind Sculpt, Thought Scour, Jace's Phantasm, Snapcaster Mage, Lilana of the Veil, Jace, Memory Adept and some kill spells?

The guildmage and consuming Aberration have a nice synergy - activate guildmage's 1st ability, cast one or more cheap spells like Mind Sculpt or Thought Scour, let the Aberration grind opponent's library and deal tons of damage - while the aberration becomes bigger and bigger.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

I love this card. Wish the first ability would cost but that is asking for too much.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I see an errata coming into play or changing the wording on one of those cards. Having any mill card+Mindcrank+Guild mage is just insane. While it is not hard to get rid of Mindcrank or guildmage, that is just too easy to pull off.

As a rule, they don't errata cards to change functionality.  If these cards made it through development with this text, they keep this text.  If the combo is broken, they will ban cards before they errata them.

Second, it doesn't take a mill card.  It takes a card going to the opponent's graveyard for *any* reason.  Like, perhaps, casting an instant or a sorcery.  If you have this guy and Mindcrank in play and the open mana, it is very hard indeed for your opponent to not die.

I don't know about mill in standard because psychic spiral is a card and then mill becomes a psychic spiral fight where if you mill them down to a certain point they just spiral you and then you lose.  Also we still have Elixir of Immortality.
That's it, this is totally crazy and will SPIKE like hell in a couple months.

Preordering a playset. 

I said nothing about the second ability. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm going to pretend it doesn't even exist.

If I'm using this in a mill deck, than it better be part of a combo (Psychic Spiral anyone?). Otherwise, I just want to use his first ability to punish my opponent for EVERYTHING. Attacking, blocking, sacrificing permanents, even casting instants and sorceries. Could you imagine playing this against one of the reanimator decks in the format?
Solid card. It is good in limited and might find a home in standard.
Sign In to post comments