Killing 'indestructible' creatures

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
How do you get rid of a creature that is 'indestructible'?  Any card ideas for a green deck or a red deck? 
This is not a rules question. Please reask your question in the appropriate deck building forum.
Well, to be fair, it's slightly a rules question if you interpret it as "what can remove an indestructible creature from the battlefield?".

As the name implies, "indestructible" simply means "can't be destroyed". Lets use our friend Darksteel Myr to demonstrate.

The following cannot get rid of Darksteel Myr:

*A destroy effect, such as that of Doom Blade or Wrath of God.
*Lethal damage, such as from a noncombat damage, combat damage or damage from a source with deathtouch.

Besides that, indestructibility doesn't help a creature at all - that is, anything else you might use to get rid of a creature will work. Examples are:

*Reducing its toughness to 0 or less, such as through Tragic Slip or Black Sun's Zenith
*Causing your opponent to sacrifice it, such as through Consuming Vapors or Ashling, the Extinguisher
*Bouncing it, such as through Evacuation or Into the Roil
*Exiling it, such as through Swords to Plowshares or Final Judgment
*Sending it to the library, such as through Bant Charm or Terminus

I feel like I may have forgotten something, but in anycase, the aforementioned methods work. You can also 'premove' it with either a counterspell or discard spell, or you can take control of it on the battlefield with something like Mind Control or Volition Reins.

Hopefully this helps you out a bit with the rules and ways of dealing with indestructibility. 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
The first question, at least, has rules nuances (the asker may not know what rules do or do not prevent the removal of an indestructible creature).  Some people might not realize, for instance, that an indestructible creature can be removed by reducing its toughness to 0.  Or by forcing its controller to sacrifice it.  Some particularly rules-oblivious players might not realize that indestructibility doesn't stop effects that send a card to exile, or to owner's hand, or shuffle into / to the bottom of library.

I feel like I may have forgotten something, but in anycase, the aforementioned methods work. You can also 'premove' it with either a counterspell or discard spell, or you can take control of it on the battlefield with something like Mind Control or Volition Reins.

Or if you can't take control of it, you can at the very least neuter it right in the field of play.
Green tactics to deal with an indestructible creature in standard?
Defense: Block him with a bigger creature or your indestructible creature, prevent his damage 
Offense: Trample 

Red tactics to deal with an indestructible creature in standard?
steal & sac
exile it
ban it 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Well, to be fair, it's slightly a rules question if you interpret it as "what can remove an indestructible creature from the battlefield?".

Twist all you want, but it's clear he wants help building a deck. It's easy to tell: The answer requires one to know the answer to "What format?". Once you realize it's a deck building question, it becomes clear that the question is missing a lot of information that would generate a good answer for the OP.

Twist all you want, but it's clear he wants help building a deck. It's easy to tell: The answer requires one to know the answer to "What format?"

there are rules question that require that answer as well ;)

proud member of the 2011 community team
Green tactics to deal with an indestructible creature in standard?
Defense: Block him with a bigger creature or your indestructible creature, prevent his damage 
Offense: Trample 

Red tactics to deal with an indestructible creature in standard?
steal & sac
exile it
ban it 

Non-standard, but Infect and Wither to achieve 0 toughness
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Lignify, Snakeform and the like.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Twist all you want, but it's clear he wants help building a deck. It's easy to tell: The answer requires one to know the answer to "What format?". Once you realize it's a deck building question, it becomes clear that the question is missing a lot of information that would generate a good answer for the OP.

I don't think I'm even twisting it at all - the OP's first question is "how do you get rid of a creature that is indestructible?", that right there is a rules question.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O

That works if the creature has the "(this creature) is indestructible" ability to lose in the first place (example: Darksteel Myr), but not if it is being made indestructible by some outside source (example: Eldrazi Monument). Spearbreaker Behemoth can even get around that by using it's activated ability on itself.

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

I don't think I'm even twisting it at all - the OP's first question is "how do you get rid of a creature that is indestructible?", that right there is a rules question.

He didn't ask "how do you get rid of a creature that is indestructible?" He asked "What cards can I use in my current deck to get rid of a creature that is indestructible?" Note that 2goth4u's answer would make no sense if he asked what you say he asked. That's the kind of answers he should be getting, but he's not getting them because he asked in the wrong forum. I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to justify a decision that's preventing him from getting those answers.

That works if the creature has the "(this creature) is indestructible" ability to lose in the first place (example: Darksteel Myr), but not if it is being made indestructible by some outside source (example: Eldrazi Monument). Spearbreaker Behemoth can even get around that by using it's activated ability on itself.

~ Tim 

Yes of course... and? :P

Still, if it's 1/1 it's easier to reduce the toughness too.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Thanks everyone.  Lets clarify a couple things.  The basis of my question was to understand the rules for 'indesctructible' as I only started playing again recently.

I did ask about cards for specific colours which was not really a rules question but was tied into the rules so I understood the term better.  I used the colours that I play normally since it was easy to state.

ikegami, if you are going to quote someone, quote them.  What you said in your last post about what I said is incorrect.

Having said all this, I did not put a post up to create tension between members, I really was just trying to understand the term.  Thanks to everyone that responded and I will try to make my questions more rules based as I will continue to have many of them Wink
Having said all this, I did not put a post up to create tension between members

don't worry about that, we are all quite pedantic, so it doesn't take much to start a lengthy discussion about basically nothing ;)

proud member of the 2011 community team
And quite articulated too I see.  I had to look up pedantic, lol.
Sign In to post comments