1/4/2012 TWTW: "Ooze Asking?"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

BDM gets a bad wrap sometimes, but you can clearly see how much he loves the game. He's so excited about this card and other simic goodies. I'm not much into simic myself so the card isn't really for me, but I enjoyed this anyway because you could sense BDM's joy oozing (sorry) from his writing. Great job.
A fixed Voidslime, flavorwise. I like. Also I've read so many Ooze puns on this and MaRo's tumblr that it's not even funny anymore. Just kidding, Ooze puns are always funny.
Wondering if the "5  Undetermined Card" in the deck list is just open slots, or are we going to get a Basic card that is not a land.....
Well, he did say he had 8 slots, and Mystic Genesis, Fathom Mage and Whatsit Guildmage were going in 3 of them.

I'm amused by the weirdly altered Momir Vig image at the top. I'm pretty sure in the original art he isn't dipping his fingers in the sticky vat of ooze.

As for Mystic Genesis: I'd normally much rather have Mystic Snake - far more recurrable. But in a Selesnya context, I can see the value of some X/X Oozes. 

Incidentally, that flavour text: is it me, or does it sound much more like the old "bioengineer the world and darn the consequences" Simic than the new "ocean-loving evolutionists, stewards of creation" Simic?
"The Simic can grow anything out of a puddle of sludge. I just hope they never join forces with the Golgari."
 Teysa Karlov, Grand Envoy of Orzhov
Am I the only one who gets sick of everybody saying everything is good in EDH?  Seriously, it's like nobody understands what good EDH cards are... just because playing budget decks one-on-one this might be acceptable doesn't mean it's useful in multiplayer, or with good decks, or god forbid multiplayer with good decks!
well, five mana is pretty cheap in edh and the spells have way higher costs than normal....

but seriously, this card will likely not be seen much in constructed. shame, it oozes flavor
Quick question. I've been wondering about a potential combo for a day or so. I wanted to gain some insight on if it it works or not. If I drop a Cloudfin Raptor and then Mystic Genesis an opponent's card (let's say for 5CMC) to make 5 1/1 dudes, does Cloudfin's Evolve trigger 5 times making him a 5/6? I thought this might work because all of the tokens enter the battlefield simultaneously and with the evolve mechanic it says "when a creature enters the battlefield with either greater power or toughness..." Etc. what do you think?
Sign In to post comments