Grapple Character

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello everyone, I'm planning on making a sorta silly character for our DnD 4e group. I want to make his combat style reflect his personality.

I plan to base his personality off of the song "Threw It On The Ground," which I saw on youtube posted by thelonelyisland.

So is there a way to build a character that grapples and throws people. Preferably onto the ground.

A character who throws weapons might work too…

Is there anyone out there with who made a grappling/throwing character for DnD 4e that would like to share their experiences with me?

Brawler Fighter is your go-to grabber.  Check out the fighter handbook for more info.  There's a few builds around her too.

And yes, he can put things on the ground.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Look up the old Beowulf build and start from there.  If you post your build we can help bring it up to date with some of the newer things that build doesn't take into account.

And yes, read the fighter handbook. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Any kind of forced movement > prone can be described as throwing someone really.

One issue you might have is that grappler fighters want to keep enemies close, so throwing them away from you is usually not a great thing. However, throwing them to the ground at your feet can be very helpful.
Thank you guys. My own research also pointed towards fighter. That's a good sign. I won't be second guessing myself.

That's basically all I wanted, I don't need him to be the very best character. As long as he can throw people on the ground, which it looks like I'll be able to. I am going to abandon the ranger aspect obviously. I might try to work in the gouge weapon so that he can use the feat power gouge pin.

Thanks for the speedy responses, mellored, Matyr, and Scatterbrained. Your help was just what I needed to move forward with this.

I'll consider all of your advice.
FWIW, I made a hybrid Barb/Ftr that is a grappler. Basically he isolates, locks down, and liquifies. I didn't get a whole lot of feedback on it, probably because the regulars don't care for brawler fighters too much. It is a lot like the aforementioned Beowulf build, but a lot more striker. There are 2 variants in the thread: a longtooth shifter and a goliath.

If you search 'Slap Chop' on this board it should come up. I'm no CharOp expert though, so I'm sure there is room for improvement. Hope that helps a little.
I might try to work in the gouge weapon so that he can use the feat power gouge pin.

That's not going to work too well with a brawler, you need a free hand. I like a flail best for the brawler (preferably Alhulak for the accuracy). Out of the gate with Flail Expertise, Bash and Pinion will grab and knock prone, achieving what you want at least once per encounter. Something like Mercenary theme can give you another proning tool. Racial choice like Earth Genasi could give you another tool. Later you can pick up Mark of Storm and Lightning weapon to prone all day long.
^that.   lightning flail + mark of storms + flail expertise = prone on any attack.  

Though if your DM doesn't want to give you a lighting flail...

World serpents grasp.
Turn 1: Grab
Turn 2: Prone

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Look up the old Beowulf build and start from there.  If you post your build we can help bring it up to date with some of the newer things that build doesn't take into account.

And yes, read the fighter handbook. 

Aside from the Beowulf build, the Headsman is an alternative which is just as awesome IMO.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
If you don't care about optimization the Misshapen theme has an encounter grab starting at first level for decent heroic damage. The giant gloves are a 13th level item with a daily power that lets you throw a grabbed opponent 6 squares and apply some damage.
The Beowulf build is a lot of fun. I did it with Misshapen theme and created "Brand the Hand" for a detective type adventure where we were the law enforcement. I even got to collar a few NPCs who tried to flee our questioning on the streets, and I played bad cop during interrogation.

It's also pretty dang effective on a turn by turn basis as far as tying up two NPCs. Also nothing like grabbing an NPC, marching across the battlefield, and throwing him down between your two strikers for a serious beatdown.

We were level 5, and I didn't spend the feats for WSG, but I think that's the way to go if you want to do lots of knockdowns. 
If you want to fight with your bare fists, consider the Master of the Fist feat to make your fists +3 proficiency weapons that deal 1d8 damage.
Sign In to post comments