Submitting an Adventure Queries

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I wasn't sure where I should post this and I also couldn't really find where to email these questions either: Do they only want a 300 word summary of the adventure and that's it? Or do they want you to then follow it up with the 5-10,000 word adventure itself? Do they want maps that are associated with it? How thorough do they want us to be? Or do they really just want us to only send a cool idea and let them do their Wizardy magic with it and create something out of it?
Who is "they" and are"they" trying to get you?
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
I can assure you we have no idea what you're talking about ... and that we've most certainly not informed any 'they' about your questions. 
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

If you're referring to submitting a D&D adventure to Dungeon Magazine, I have no idea how to do that or what they want.

Ask this question in the General Discussion forum.

Actually, somebody get this thread moved.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

If you're referring to submitting a D&D adventure to Dungeon Magazine, I have no idea how to do that or what they want.

He isn't. This is a thread about submitting ideas to the Shadow Government.
 Ask this question in the General Discussion forum.

They don't know about the Shadow Government.
Actually, somebody get this thread moved.

You're no fun. Go kill another celebrity and post a thread about it.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
The love is so glorious.

www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/submis...

That's what I'm refering to. Submitting adventures to Wizards of the Coast.
I wasn't sure where I should post this and I also couldn't really find where to email these questions either: Do they only want a 300 word summary of the adventure and that's it? Or do they want you to then follow it up with the 5-10,000 word adventure itself? Do they want maps that are associated with it? How thorough do they want us to be? Or do they really just want us to only send a cool idea and let them do their Wizardy magic with it and create something out of it?

You send them your pitch per their submission guidelines during the designated submission windows (April/May and October/November). You then wait for their response, which should come within 60 days of the submission window closing.  Most pitches are rejected, but if they are interested, they will ask you to submit a completed draft per their article guidelines, which they will provide to you after signing an NDA. Many times, they will request specific changes be made to what you originally pitched to better meet their needs, and while they're available for questions, you'll largely be writing on your own. 

Once you submit your draft to them, they'll either reject it, accept it, or the most likely, ask for additional revisions; this takes place over several weeks and months, and they could drop the project at any point if it doesn't meet their needs.  Once they are satisified with your work, they will issue a work order, which is essentially the contract that purchases your article; you invoice Hasbro AP once they give you the go ahead.  Even after that, there may be more revisions needed as the article winds its way through various departments.  All together, the process generally takes 8-12 months, though it's sometimes shorter or longer, and even if they purchase an article, it's no guarantee it will see print.  I believe you still need to provide maps if you are writing an adventure, though they've gotten away from the tactical encounter format, so the burden is much lighter.  They don't expect you to be Mike Schley, but they have to be legible and usable.  I hope this answers your questions.
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon
Sign In to post comments