Chicago Bulls(RUW) Deck

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've never made a competitve legacy deck, but I'm a huge Bulls fan so I'm thinking about running something like this:

Creatures- 20
4x Dark Confidant
4x Mother of Runes
4x Goblin Guide
4x Grim Lavamancer
4x Deathrite Shaman

Spells- 20
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
4x Thoughtseize
4x Swords to Plowshares
4x Path to exile

Lands- 20

4x Badlands
4x Scrubland
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Marsh Flats
4x Arid Mesa

Sideboard- 15
4x Smelt
4x Surgical Extraction
4x Red Elemental Blast
3x Pyroblast

What do you guys think? 
In a deck as fast as this, I'm not sure I want Swords to Plowshares. I'd probably use Chain Lightning or something similiar instead.

Also your colors are R/B/W not R/U/W (R/U/W is red blue white).

Otherwise, this looks like a very, very fast aggro deck and seems fine (MadAdmiral is strict, but I deem his advice pretty good because he plays more legacy than I do.)

Cheers!
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
with such a tiny curve you could probably afford to shave a land. I'd also try to cut some of the stuff that pulls the deck in a different direction - Inquisition of Kozilek and Thoughtseize aren't really aggro cards, so I definitely wouldn't play those. as for what to play in their place, Chain Lightning was a good suggestion; you could also try Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, since she's a good attacker and also very disruptive.

as for the sideboard, I question Smelt but the rest looks fine.
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
I don't like a fast aggro deck that doesn't have Wasteland.  You need to force the opponent into playing your game, i.e. playing only cheap spells.  If you let them start casting Jaces and such, you're done for.  Wasteland will let you attack them on three fronts (mana, cards and life totals)

I also really think you want to play at least a couple green sources to make use of both sides of Shaman.  Plus, you could even play Abrupt Decay then (main probably), as Counterbalance/Sensei's Divining Top and Chalice of the Void wrecks you.  That would let you shave some of the narrow removal for more all-purpose removal.

I question the massive amounts of removal you're playing.  20 spells that kill creatures seems to be a bit too much in most metagames, especially when most of them only kill creatures.  I'd really want to cut some of those for some additional disruption.  Thalia is a great suggestion, as is packing more burn.

Where's Lingering Souls?  That card is so good against the field.  Most decks have to spend at least 2 full cards on it.

With all the fetchlands, Bloodghast should be really good.  If you end up playing it, I'd probably change some of the discard to Cabal Therapy.

I also really dislike the Smelt in the board.  It just seems to be so bad and there aren't that many artifacts you need to kill.  Something like Disenchant is probably better because it also deals with problematic enchantments (like Pernicious Deed, Moat, etc.).

I also think that 7 REB effects is way overkill.  There really isn't a blue spell in the game that you have to be that scared of to dedicate half your sideboard to killing.  I would play 4 (a 2/2 or 3/1 split) at most.
I think the exclusion of Lingering Souls is justified, because a deck with such a fragile mana base will probably struggle to cast a 3-mana sorcery (especially if Thalia makes the cut, which I think she should). Deathrite Shaman's mana might make it work, but it's difficult to tell. i agree with the rest of your analysis though

actually, how about dropping white for green? between Abrupt, Bolt and Chain you've potentially got a very robust removal package without StP/PtE, and you obviously also get Tarmogoyf. you lose mother of runes, but I'm not too convinced about her in this deck anyway; you don't have any big creatures, so she doesn't let you punch through for much damage, which is what you really want to do.

edit: here's an untested example i threw together

SB is undecided, but there's no shortage of good options
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
I'd cut mother of runes for something like Steppe Lynx and I'd cut the swords to plowshares for chain lightning.

Try Perish instead of smelt in the board that way you can kill off tarmogoyf, Knight of the reliquary, scaveging ooze etc in decks that play them.

Path to Exile AND Goblin Guide? ****, dude. That's a lot of free mana, which is usually the limiting force in Legacy.

And how is Lavamancer and Deathrite in the same deck working? Seems greedy to me.