Need help with Mono-Black Demon Deck

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone. Ok, this one's got some real problems. Honestly don't have a lot of experience with black in general, but this is just bad. The only *effective* wincon I seem to have is Sheoldred, and that's not exactly foolproof. Not to mention the lack of sets and consistency. I'm honestly open to just about any suggestions with this one (though after seeing the price tag on some of the graveyard revival cards, I'd like to avoid those). Would like to remove at least 3 of the demonic tutors as well. I feel dirty using em that often...Oh, And as always, I greatly appreciate it

Creatures (13):
2x Gatekeeper of Malakir
2x Nantuko Shade
2x Phyrexian Obliterator
1x Harvester of Souls
1x Blood Speaker
1x Sheoldred, Whispering One
1x Pestilence Demon
1x Griselbrand
1x Desecration Demon
1x Demonic Hordes

Sorceries/Instants (17):
4x Demonic Tutor
4x Buried Alive
3x Zombify
2x Insidious Dreams
2x Sadistic Sacrament
1x Diabolic Tutor
1x Victimize

Permanents (10):
2x Jet Medallion
2x Mark of the Oni
2x Zombie Infestation
1x Lingering Death
1x Elixir of Immortality
1x Recurring Nightmare
1x Liliana Vess

Lands (20):

3x Barren Moor
17x Swamp

I'll admit, though the deck didn't too well, I'm pleased with the Blood Speaker/Recurring Nightmare combo I have going. Turned out better than I expected honestly.

• Add disruption. Fat creatures are great and quicklyl finish off the opponent, but if they're not incredibly resilient (think Progenitus  or Emrakul, the Aeons Torn) your opponent could deal with them and leave you quite far behind. Additionally, it is possible that your opponent has creatures you need to remove so that they don't kill you, so removal is quite handy.

• You need to add more land. I'm not sure why you chose to put in 20 land, but deck building theory has come far since the 90s, and 24 is the norm. Your deck seems to have a lot of crucial cards with CMC (converted mana cost) 3+, and in order to cast those on time you'll need more than just 20 land.

Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
i think your deck would be better as straight reanimator
I agree. My only problem with that is the price tag on reanimator cards. $20 a pop for entombs isn't too appealing for a fixup.
Look into some quick mana generators like Dark Ritual, Grim Monolith or Sol Ring. You have some hefty casting costs.
arguably entomb is the best way to go for reanimator but theres also
looter il-kor
anvil of bogardan
careful study
tolarian winds
faithless looting
ideas unbound

which are not as fast and sure as entomb but can provide nice card advantage in longer games
He could remain Mono-black and use Buried Alive if he really, really wanted to as well.

An excellent Demon back in the day was Abyssal Persecutor. Despite complaints that "he needs to die for me to win!" YOU'RE IN BLACK! THE COLOR OF KILL!

If you want to speed up the deck, and it doesn't sound like any sort of legality's a problem, grab Dark Ritual (x4) and Necropotence is pretty much considered the best "draw" spell ever printed.

Cheers!
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!