[GTC-ICD] High Priest of Penance

97 posts / 0 new
Last post

High Priest of Penance
(Rare) 
Creature - Human Cleric
Whenever High Priest of Penance is dealt damage, you may destroy target nonland permanent.
1/1

Source:  magicmadrid.es
So at worst, a chump who vindicates upon death? (But can't target land.)
What's the source for the card?
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)
Seems fake, but if it's not, I'm sure there's some way to break it. As a starting point, Rite of Passage and any toughness booster.
it looks fake because the translation has been shopped over it.

seems like a spicy one. really dig it.

The card was leaked in Spanish. What you're seeing is the translation fotoshoped over it.

By the way, the flavour text is something like "All I ask is for faith, loyalty, obedience, trust and a complete and absolute devotion".

[<o>]
Even if you can't abuse it, it seems like a great card later on in the game if they have plenty of choice targets to get rid of. Suicide into them or just threaten to block with it. I am sure there are ways to make this guy stay awhile after being hit, but the main use of it will be more as of a threat or a way to deal with higher cost cards.
I... like it - seems like plenty of ways to abuse this
What's the source for the card?

I picked it up at mythicspoiler.com

I figure they got it from a Spanish site.
Play something that give boost to toughness, play this, then play an all pinger, and proceed to Vindicate everything non-land.
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
Rootborn Defenses

Then hit him over and over and over again.

Gridlock, the Bracers, now this.  The flavor text just keeps getting better and better.

Even the name of this card is awesome. 
This card has the potential to be very, very good in standard.  Can 2 for 1 aggressive strategies.  Draws out premium removal (Dreadbore, O-ring).  Hits non-creatures.  I dig it.
This card looks amazing.  Trades with anything or gets in for 1 every turn.

Holds off their biggest guys.  Holds off their smaller ones too if they have something out they want to protect.

Makes them play bad, which is awesome.

Which translation is accurate? Nonland or every permanent? I guess the first one.
One way or another, this thing is quite good.
This guy is pretty nifty.
Edge of the Divinity gets another target, Bonds of Faith for Standard gets better targets.

DCI Judge Level 1

I... like it - seems like plenty of ways to abuse this

It's the PERFECT creature to pump and a perfect target for Undying Evil.

Breakable. 
Maybe go RWB to invoke Chandra?

Izzet Staticaster is too color intensive to mix with this guy. Lightning Prowess or Staff of Nin will work once he's above 1/1
Finally a good contructed playable rare. Can't wait to try this guy out.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

This will go places, surely.

The art is sorely lackluster though... I expected more epic art for such a name.  

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Ever since, extort was spoiled, I thought Orzhova would be getting some cards that punish your opponent for attacking you.  Cards like this really help a bleeder strategy work.
I'm not really sure what to think of this one; I can think of all kinds of silly combos of pump and ping that take about 4-5 colours, but nothing I've thought of is terribly practical.

So...what's the alternative?  Play it, and hope they attack into it?  I'm.........not actually convinced that's a good plan.  Unlike Dreadbore if they don't want their permanent removed they have lots of options like attacking with evasion creatures, removing the blocker with something like detain or Tragic Slip or any variety of non-red removal, to...not attacking if it's not needed (for example, if they plan to win by using a planeswalker ultimate).  Or they can just only attack into it when they have untapped for Restoration Angel.

I'm not as sold on this in constructed as others seem to be.  Of course, it will be good if there turns out to be a practical combo for it, but running it without a combo just seems...easy to play around.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

The High Priests of Penzance

by Gilbert and Sullivan

This is pretty neat. Play it with Izzet Staticaster and Staff of Nin
I'm not really sure what to think of this one; I can think of all kinds of silly combos of pump and ping that take about 4-5 colours, but nothing I've thought of is terribly practical.

So...what's the alternative?  Play it, and hope they attack into it?  I'm.........not actually convinced that's a good plan.  Unlike Dreadbore if they don't want their permanent removed they have lots of options like attacking with evasion creatures, removing the blocker with something like detain or Tragic Slip or any variety of non-red removal, to...not attacking if it's not needed (for example, if they plan to win by using a planeswalker ultimate).  Or they can just only attack into it when they have untapped for Restoration Angel.

I'm not as sold on this in constructed as others seem to be.  Of course, it will be good if there turns out to be a practical combo for it, but running it without a combo just seems...easy to play around.

it's easy to play around, but while your opponent being able to play around a 4cc spell is a significant drawback, a 2-drop that changes the way your opponent plays can be pretty good value.

i think in general you play right into this, which makes it chump block + removal spell.  that's probably playable, but the ceiling isn't great.  this might be the best nonland card i've seen in the set, which...is saying very little. 
They could have stolen the art from the main website (we have seen this picture), guessed the artist (this does look like his style), and made it look like a tranlated photoshopped leak to cover up the fakeness.  That said, it goes well with 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. How to Create
Show
replace {} with [] {sblock} at the beginning and {/sblock} at the end.
I borrowed this from blood77. All credit goes to him. Great idea for a signature and I'm tired of people not autocarding decks. How to Auto Card
Show
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
Show
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck Auto Deck
Show
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4 Halimar Depths 4 Unstable Frontier 8 Island 4 Swamp Creatures 12 4 Hedron Crab 4 Nemesis of Reason 4 Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4 Spreading Seas 4 Suffer the Past 4 Mind Funeral 4 Archive Trap 4 Ponder 4 Into the Roil 4 Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Result

For early OR late-game shenanigans...Revenge of the Hunted.  Personally, I'd go for late-game, since it'd pretty much be a win-con card to pull while this guy's out.  Your opponent might not be caring about his board presence as much as they would if he's out earlier....likely easier to hardcast RotH later on, too, if the Miracle draw had bad timing (opening hand), and winds up getting stuck in your hand.

EDIT:  AND it's a neat way to clear a path for that Orzhov creature that got spoiled just before this.

For early OR late-game shenanigans...Revenge of the Hunted.  Personally, I'd go for late-game, since it'd pretty much be a win-con card to pull while this guy's out.  Your opponent might not be caring about his board presence as much as they would if he's out earlier....likely easier to hardcast RotH later on, too, if the Miracle draw had bad timing (opening hand), and winds up getting stuck in your hand.

EDIT:  AND it's a neat way to clear a path for that Orzhov creature that got spoiled just before this.

getting blocked by multiple guys lets you blow up multiple permanents, correct? (until he's killed)
I actually don't care much for this. It's a Vindicate that requires some gimmicky workaround when Vindicate would be fine to print. Even if you do find a way to make it reusable, at that juncture you're several cards deep into a strategy that your opponent in all likelyhood can answer with just a single card- probably only on the condition that it isn't a permanent.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)

Give him regenerate and then watch the opponent fidget as he figures out how to get around him.
Ooooh, yeah - Ring of Xathrid belongs on this guy's finger, permanently.

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

2 for 1 against aggro that hits mid and control permanents?

Good in Standard.
strong card...
Ooooh, yeah - Ring of Xathrid belongs on this guy's finger, permanently.

YES.

Pity that, even with all of the combos thrown about, I doubt he'll make much of an appearance in Standard, and like others have mentioned - lackluster artwork.

Seems a nice cheap removal tacked onto a creature for Limited, but I doubt any combos will be easily made or pulled off there with this card.
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)
I LOVE this card, it seems like perfect orzhov flavor and pretty powerfull. I can see this wrecking aggro decks, especially since its a 2 drop. 

P.S. im only going to call this guy H-Pops
makes me want to play some totem armor.
getting blocked by multiple guys lets you blow up multiple permanents, correct? (until he's killed)

I wish it did, but it does not.  All the damage is dealt as a single damage event and will only trigger the ability once.

The only time this isn't true is when one of the creatures attacking it has first strike.  Then it would trigger twice if it can survive the first strike damage somehow.
Pretty cool. Basically an insane version of a 1/1 deathtouch creature. Kills more stuff than creatures, can kill a different creature than what you blocked, doesn't need to even do combat damage (facing a first strike creature), and punishes for killing it with burn (how an aggro deck would normally kill this card). 

Doesn't seem good against some standard decks. Such as U/W/R flash (if that's still a deck) and BR zombies. Seems like a fine choice against RDW or  G/W aggro. Just stick it in front of loxodon smiter or silverblade paladin and get value out of it. Basically a chump block and a removal spell against RDW. I wish there was a way to give this guy flying + a toughness boost at instant speed in standard. It would be the funniest answer to an opponent casting .  

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

I'm 100% going to be playing with this guy alongside Benalish Hero and Battering Ram.

Or just Banding in general (my flavour of the week).

DCI Judge Level 1

Too bad a lot of the one drop creatures in standard have 2 toughness. However, profitably blocking a gravecrawler then destroying his zombie friend on turn 2 is quite strong. Early game disruption was what was missing against a lot of these aggro decks. 
FAAAAAAAKE

We'll ignore the fact for now that the flavor text and rules text are in TWO DIFFERENT LANGUAGES --- just look at the text itself in the rules, someone wrote that in from a digital program on a blank field.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
FAAAAAAAKE

We'll ignore the fact for now that the flavor text and rules text are in TWO DIFFERENT LANGUAGES --- just look at the text itself in the rules, someone wrote that in from a digital program on a blank field.

Source is Magic Madrid. That version should be the one posted by OP. 
Sign In to post comments