Reroute / Incandescent Soulstoke

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have [C]Incandescent Soulstoke[/C] on the battlefield, and used its ability to put [C]Hateflayer[/C] from my hand onto the battlefield. Can I then use [C]Reroute[/C] to redirect the sacrifice to my opponents creature, say a 1/1 token for instance, and keep my Hateflayer? If so, can my Hateflayer keep the haste ability to tap/attack, and then redirect the sacrifice before end of turn or would I have to redirect both the haste and sacrifice?
Incandescent Soulstoke does not target anything (note the lack of the word "target" in the ability's text), so its ability is not a legal target for Reroute. The ability also creates a delayed trigger that will go on the stack at the beginning of the next end step. When that trigger resolves, you must sacrifice the creature you put onto the battlefield. If you can counter the sacrifice trigger or end the turn while it's on the stack, it won't trigger again and you can keep your creature (with haste).
Rules Advisor
no i had a question about exileation at end of turn you can only avoid it with cards that skip past the rest of the turn sundial of the infinate right before your end step.
Incandescent Soulstoke does not target anything (note the lack of the word "target" in the ability's text), so while you can attempt to Reroute the ability and draw a card, it won't have any effect on what the ability does. At the beginning of the next end step, the sacrifice trigger will go on the stack, and when it resolves you must sacrifice the creature you put onto the battlefield. If you can counter the sacrifice trigger or end the turn while it's on the stack, it won't trigger again and you can keep your creature (with haste).

No, you can't use Reroute on anything that does not have exactly one target.

no i had a question about exileation at end of turn you can only avoid it with cards that skip past the rest of the turn sundial of the infinate right before your end step.

If you end the turn before the end step then the trigger will wait for the next end step to actually occur. If you end the turn after the sacrifice trigger is put on the stack, it won't trigger again.
Rules Advisor
it says
 Exile all spells and abilities on the stack
and that step hasent taken place so it isnt resolved yet

So by tapping [C]Sundial of the Infinite[/C] at the start of my end step and after the sacrifice triggers, I would never have to sacrifice my [C]Hateflayer[/C], even at the next end step after my turn ends? 
no right before it starts so in combat
if you wait it is exiled at the begining
Aldekeyser's responses are confusing me, so I'll make it perfectly clear:

Incandescent Soulstoke sets up a delayed triggered ability, that only ever triggers once - at the beginning of the next end step. If the ability is countered or stopped in some way after triggering, it will never trigger again.

With that in mind, if you activate Sundial of the Infinite before the delayed trigger has even triggered, it will remain in waiting until the next end step to occur - likely your opponents - and then it will trigger, and you will have to sacrifice the card you put out. However, if you activate Sundial of the Infinite in response to the delayed trigger - that is, you actually let it have its one and only trigger first before ending the turn - then you'll never have to sacrifice the elemental to that delayed trigger.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
with the delayed trigger being part of the ability it wont fully resolve untill the end step then is exiled off the stack permanantly
Say what? Fully resolve? What?

1. Soulstoke's ability resolves. You put an elemental creature card from your hand onto the battlefield. A delayed triggered ability is also set up as part of this resolution, that won't trigger until the beginning of the next end step. At this point, the Soulstoke's ability has fully resolved; the delayed trigger that was created as part of that resolution has not yet triggered though.

2. Turn continues as normal.

3. The end step rolls around. The delayed trigger goes off and is put on the stack.

4. The active player activates Sundial of the Infinite, ending the turn. Once this resolves, all objects on the stack - including the delayed trigger - are exiled.

Are you agreeing with this or not? 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
I understand now. Thank you very much...! This is very helpful!!
yeah thx for the clarification