Schools of Magic

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
The essentials material introduced schools instead of implements. Do you think new schools of magic would be usable by someone without the essentials? I noticed Defenders of Midgard. I'm very interested in the Clockwork Magic.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

The essentials material introduced schools instead of implements. Do you think new schools of magic would be usable by someone without the essentials? I noticed Defenders of Midgard. I'm very interested in the Clockwork Magic.

The spells should just be spells. Being a Clockwork Mage should give you some kind of bonus when using those spells, but I don't see why a PHB1 Wizard wouldn't be able to use the spells at their baseline effects.

As always, when using something third party, consult with your DM before springing these elements on him. Some DMs do not allow third party material because it has not been playtested to Wizards standards They may well have been playtested more rigorously, considering some of the things that Wizards released into the wild, but much third party material seems to have been hardly playtested at all.

TBH, anything clockwork/device/etc-oriented is more likely to fall under the artificer's purview than that of the wizard, and the artificer already has a range of appropriate powers and feats to represent that.

If you're after clockwork in the sense of temporal manipulation, that's mostly going to be ritual-based rather than spell-based (and even then only at the epic end of the game).
The spells should just be spells. Being a Clockwork Mage should give you some kind of bonus when using those spells, but I don't see why a PHB1 Wizard wouldn't be able to use the spells at their baseline effects.

A PHB1 Wizard could certainly use the spells. I was more wondering if anyone thought some of the rules for being a school of X wizard is only in the essentials material and the Defenders of Midgard would assume knowledge of those rules. If the school of clockwork magic description includes all the information I need to swap out an implement for a PHB1 Wizard that's great. If I need to pick up an essentials book to make full use of the wizard, I'm less interested.

Of course you should check with your DM first but I consider that true even for WotC material. One of my newer players initially suggested playing a vampire but the setting made that unlikely and previous events would make a vampire very difficult to integrate into the party. WotC even suggests not allowing divine classes in Dark Sun.

As for this being the purview of the artificer, you're right but that hasn't always been the case. DragonMech and Zobeck both have clockwork magic. DragonMech was designed before the release of Eberron. I suspect the same is true of Zobeck so there was no artificer class. Even if there was, it wasn't in the SRD. Early editions of D&D had clockwork creatures. I don't see a problem making a clockwork mage.

It's not temporary manipulation (at least as far as I know). Again I don't see that as only ritual based. Chronomancer was a 2nd edition supplement. I think you could do a time based school. Yes direct time-travel is probably more ritual based but that doesn't mean you couldn't have time spells.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

Since Defenders of Midgard provides detailed schools of magic, you just need the feats to swap. They're detailed in the Class Compendium, if you have access to it. Costs three feats and your Implement Mastery for all three benefit ranks, so it's kind of pricy, but if you really want the benefits, totally doable.
Class Compendium Feats has the feats you mentioned and is available to all. Thanks.

Identical Games