Help me optimize this pacifist cleric

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
So,long story short, my current 4e group has this cleric that so far is able to perfectly heal and grant us saving throws all the time. Problem is, it was pointed out by Baldhermit that this wasn't a good built.
This cleric isn't mine, but I want to give some hints to my friend who built it, therefore, I'd like you to help me round out this baby.

What is core to his character concept: Pacifist and cleric of Ilmater. Everything else is game.

here it is:

Show

Boticário, level 11
Deva, Cleric, Miracle Worker
Cleric: Healer's Lore
Background: Birth - Blessed (+2 to Religion)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 9, Int 11, Wis 22, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 15.

AC: 24 Fort: 19 Reflex: 17 Will: 28
HP: 76 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +14, Insight +16, Heal +16, Diplomacy +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana +5, Bluff +10, Dungeoneering +11, Endurance +6, History +7, Intimidate +10, Nature +11, Perception +11, Stealth +3, Streetwise +10, Thievery +3, Athletics +4

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Defensive Healing Word
Level 2: Last Legion Officer
Level 4: Healer's Implement
Level 6: Pacifist Healer
Level 8: Shielding Word
Level 10: Superior Will
Level 11: Radiant Vessel

POWERS
Channel Divinity: Healer's Mercy
Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune
Cleric at-will 1: Sacred Flame
Cleric at-will 1: Astral Seal
Cleric encounter 1: Exacting Utterance
Cleric daily 1: Beacon of Hope
Cleric utility 2: Calculated Acumen
Cleric encounter 3: Hymn of Resurgence
Cleric daily 5: Iron to Glass
Cleric utility 6: Holy Lantern
Cleric encounter 7: Peacemaker's Light
Cleric daily 9: Dismissal
Cleric utility 10: Reverent Mettle

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Healer's Finemail +2, Belled Branch +3, Symbol of the Holy Nimbus +2, Fey-Blessed Circlet (heroic tier), Healer's Brooch +2

So, we would have to do a complete overhaul of a character who's player is not even interested yet in changing anything? At this stage, with those defenses, might as well start from scratch, as I also said in the other thread.

However, you also said he did not really get into trouble, and the team is doing well, so I'd say that makes two reasons not to want to change this character. 
Its hard to optimize a pacifist because, in general, the very first thing you get told when being a cleric is to take Battle Cleric's Lore.  The extra defenses and damage output really outweigh the healing in almost all circumstances.

Is there a reason they want their cleric to be pacifist? 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
If he insists on being a pacifist healer, take Cause Fear if your party has nice a few nice MBAs, and MC Shaman for Spirit's Prey and a decent wis skill if there is a ranged striker.

But hopefully he does not insist on being a pacifist healer. One of the players in my group played one for a while, against our suggestions. It was garbage.
Shielding Word is really unnecessary on top of Defensive Healing Word and Last Legion Officer, and likewise Healer's Implement is probably overkill on the heals. I'm not sure what would be the best replacements, but expertise should be in there somewhere, and it could use improved defenses as well, but that might be a lost cause.

Between taking Sup Will on top of his current will (my will is so high!), insisting on being a pacifist (my healz are so high!), and ridiculous level defense boosting on HW (your defenses are so high!), this guy seems like a classic min-maxer, tanking almost everything to have really high numbers in a couple things.  That approach can be effective in 4e (if you have a dense/coddling DM that doesn't exploit your weaknesses), but he's maxing the wrong things.
ok, his defenses are really low, except for will (player's reason was: I don't want him dominated or stunned, so that he'll always be able to save the party).

What is he supposed to do instead?

I do believe that the DM indeed doesn't exploit our weaknesses, cuz we faced some humans (that is, non-stupid enemies) and all of them sticked to the fighter and the Hexblade (dborn, hellblade pp). Plus, we haven't been ambushed yet (6 encounters so far) or had any battle other than 'enemy comes rushing right in front of us'.

the toughest we've been through was a battle against eberron psionic enemies that dominated us but the cleric managed to grant us a saving throw.

If you'd be so kind, I'd also like your opinion on the dwarf. Again, I must warn that he's below the expected here, I believe. He uses a shield and is keen on sticking to his shield, because of fluff reasons.

Show

Vondal, level 11
Dwarf, Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: Battlerager Vigor
Dwarf Subrace: Standard Dwarf Racial Traits

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 19, Dex 11, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 9.

AC: 28 Fort: 25 Reflex: 20 Will: 19
HP: 94 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 23

TRAINED SKILLS
Streetwise +10, Athletics +13, Endurance +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +6, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +9, Heal +7, History +6, Insight +7, Intimidate +5, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +6, Stealth +2, Thievery +2

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Shield Push
Level 4: Dwarf Stoneblood
Level 6: Savage Axe
Level 8: Axe Expertise
Level 10: Devoted Challenge
Level 11: Stonefoot Reprisal

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Knockdown Assault
Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike
Fighter encounter 1: Shield Riposte
Fighter daily 1: Villain's Menace
Fighter utility 2: Pass Forward
Fighter encounter 3: Immediate Vengeance
Fighter daily 5: Pinning Smash
Fighter utility 6: Noble Indomitability
Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
Fighter daily 9: Victorious Surge
Fighter utility 10: Body over Mind

ITEMS
Shield of Defiance Heavy Shield (heroic tier), Braidmail Armor of Dwarven Vigor +3, Vengeful Waraxe +2, Devil's Claw +2, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Rushing Cleats (heroic tier), Cynic's Goggles (heroic tier)
Most fighters want to use shields, especially BRV fighters with their low Reflex defense.

I would suggest that he gets his Wisdom up to 15 by paragon so he can take Superior Will. His will defense is low and he needs a way to fight off daze and stun.

Also, chainmail is bad and he should upgrade to plate. It isn't worth the damage bonus.

He can drop Savage Axe and Devoted Challenge for these two feats.
Just to get it out of my system: "Don't be a Pacifist Cleric" there, improved by 50%.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Just to get it out of my system: "Don't be a Pacifist Cleric" there, improved by 50%.

More specifically, refluff a lazylord|somethingorother.  Actually, Lazlord|Cleric might have some legs, since some of the pacifist powers do go nicely with the big nova-generating powers.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

More specifically, refluff a lazylord|somethingorother.  Actually, Lazlord|Cleric might have some legs, since some of the pacifist powers do go nicely with the big nova-generating powers.

That and perhaps most importantly:
You don't need to take the poorly designed mechanical pacifist feat in order to roleplay being a pacifist. Every character in 4e can always choose to knock their opponent unconscious rather than trying to kill them.
Wow.  He took Holy Lantern.  I would switch out calculating acumen for angelic witnesses or bless.  He doesn't really need reverent mettle either, though its not as bad a choice as the others and he only has other immediate attack from his paragon path, reversal of fortune.

It sounds like he insists on sticking pacifist.  But he can make much better one than what he has.  Retrain out exacting utterance for prophetic guidance or cause fear.  The automatic CA and damage bonus from prophetic guidance plus the reroll if someone misses is better than potentially giving them some vulnerability.  Cause fear takes some set up, but its potentially 3 or more OAs in the right situation.

He has peacemakers light, but it doesn't look like he or his party has any radiant or vulnerability exploits (other than exacting utterance which is a long set up time or takes an action point) and the power is just ok without those.

He took too many repetitive feats.  Each of those feats isn't a bad choice, but you don't need healer's implement, pacifist healer and radiant vessel.  Last legion officer, defensive healing word, and shielding word are all good but its a bit much to take all three.  He doesn't have expertise or improved defenses or a multiclass feat.  I agree with the earlier recomendation to go shaman with spirit's prey if someone has an RBA.

Miracle worker is overkill on the healing with all those healing feats.  Messenger of peace is better and will do a lot to help with his low defenses.
Can't we just get a sticky that's says something to the effect of "don't play a pacifist cleric, here's why..."
Jugulator, I flat out say the pacifist is the weakest build in my handbook and build handbook.  But a lot of people want to do it either for roleplaying reasons or because they think healing is the most important thing.

The thing is you can make a decent enough pacifist cleric in the right party.  But no one ever seems to do it.  They always overdue the healing and don't take enough powers that boost the offense of the party.

I think I am going to make an updated example of a pacifist cleric that focuses as much as possible on enabling and quasi-enabling.
Wow.  He took Holy Lantern.  I would switch out calculating acumen for angelic witnesses or bless.  He doesn't really need reverent mettle either, though its not as bad a choice as the others and he only has other immediate attack from his paragon path, reversal of fortune.

I believe he wouldn't take bless and acumen cuz they are daily powers, and the player has something against daily utilities. But, looking at the cb, I found "true strike" - wouldn't that be a nice suggestion?

It sounds like he insists on sticking pacifist.  But he can make much better one than what he has.  Retrain out exacting utterance for prophetic guidance or cause fear.  The automatic CA and damage bonus from prophetic guidance plus the reroll if someone misses is better than potentially giving them some vulnerability.  Cause fear takes some set up, but its potentially 3 or more OAs in the right situation.

Will suggest this asap.

He has peacemakers light, but it doesn't look like he or his party has any radiant or vulnerability exploits (other than exacting utterance which is a long set up time or takes an action point) and the power is just ok without those.

But peacemaker's light also exploits cold, and that we have in plenty, with my frostcheese archer and the hexblade also generating cold vulnerability and dmg.

He took too many repetitive feats.  Each of those feats isn't a bad choice, but you don't need healer's implement, pacifist healer and radiant vessel.  Last legion officer, defensive healing word, and shielding word are all good but its a bit much to take all three.  He doesn't have expertise or improved defenses or a multiclass feat.  I agree with the earlier recomendation to go shaman with spirit's prey if someone has an RBA.

Couldn't agree more with you. At first I thought that the cleric's build was awesome, but then started seeing his defenses and that he's indeed overkilling the heal. His player believes that due to us having a fighter and a hexblade with lots of surges, are ideal to his overhealing.

Will also drop the Messenger of Peace hint. All in all, thank you.
If you have cold vulnerabilities than peacemaker's light is good choice.  Its autodamage on a build that normally doesn't damage.

It looks like true strike does have a level so I guess he could take it.  But its also a standard action so that is a big drawback when he could be using a standard action attack that does more.  The big problem with a lot of cleric utilities is that they are standard actions.  I would take sudden inspiration instead if you can pick from warpriest powers like that and wants an encounter power.  That will come in handy and is an immediate.  I need to go add that to my handbook.
I believe he wouldn't take bless and acumen cuz they are daily powers, and the player has something against daily utilities. But, looking at the cb, I found "true strike" - wouldn't that be a nice suggestion?

No, no it would not. It's a standard action. Even compared to Astral Seal, spending a standard action to give one ally a +4 to his next attack roll is extremely weak.  I'm with your friend on generally preferring encounter utilities, but some of the cleric daily utilities are phenominal, and many of the encounter cleric utilities are really bad.  At level 6, I generally grab Bastion of Health for a third encounter heal.  Particularly on a pacifist, two is often not enough, because of how long they make combats last. 

His player believes that due to us having a fighter and a hexblade with lots of surges, are ideal to his overhealing.

That's a really weird bit of backwards logic.  Maximizing surgeless healing is the only thing pacifists do best, and that's most relevant when fewer surges are in play.  When people have plenty of surges, the bonus they get on top of it is far less relevant, and any leader who can say, "hey, you, spend a surge," suffices.  Sure, with a pacifist in play, a character who begins the day with 14 surges may end the day with 8 left, but, at least on CharOp, that isn't viewed as a good thing - it's viewed as a waste of resources that would have been better spent offensively.