Druid gardens and alchemic ingredients

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
One of my players is a druid, they read in one of the 4e books about the druids garden and they were wanting to use it to cut down on the partys cost on making potions, rituals, etc. id love to do this but i would love any ideas yall would have as to how often and how much they should get. i had figured on rolling various dice depending on the size of the garden, multiplying by 10 to get the dollar amount,  and doing it once a month (that druidic magic is potent). any ideas?
Don't charge them- at least not until thing start becoming expensive (ie. 100gp+), then credit them the intial 100gp for bits and pieces they can harvest, and charge the remainder.

OR

Don't charge them at all- if Rituals and such are used as sparingly in your game as I've seen several times throughout 4e campaigns, just let them use them, provided what they are doing isn't unbalancing/gamebreaking. If you don't want to do that, alternatively give the Rituals and things (or their components) as Quest Rewards.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Yeah, you're not going to break the game if you just give them tons of Nature-based components for free.

I recommend letting them come to you with what they think the garden is worth in components and accepting that offer outright. If somehow it becomes a bit much, ask them what they think the downside should be from these incredible harvests. The garden itself could become a focus for adventures.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

I would be careful about turning it into a cash-generator, which is what will happen if it essentially spawns reagents every month.

It's probably more appropriate to treat it as a 'stronghold' item - the garden will allow the PCs to perform one ritual of its level or less per week without costing reagents, although it can't be used for rituals that create things (Brew Potion, Enchant Magic Item, etc).

Alternately, they can create a single potion/alchemical/etc of their level or lower per week, but it's only good for that week - they can't start stockpiling a bunch of the things. (Likewise, no selling/trading the item.)
I would be careful about turning it into a cash-generator, which is what will happen if it essentially spawns reagents every month.

Easily taken out of their normal treasure parcels, if balance is a concern.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Whatever you do – don’t pass a wonderful opportunity for adventure!

Note to the DM: the following was written for 2e AD&D where potion-brewing was all about magical ingredients. For 3e/3.5e the Moonflower can substitute for the potion-brewing feat or better yet for the cost in experience-points and money whatever suits you.  

The Moonflower

The Moonflower is a hardly known, mostly by Druids used possibility to brew potions. The juice of the ripe berries works as a kind of magical preserver. A potion that duplicates the effect of a spell (like most healing-potions, potion of invisibility, potion of gaseous form, potion of flying and so on) can be produced fairly easy only with the components of the spell and the juice of the “Moonberry” as major ingredients. (Of course you still need a simple laboratory / holy shrine as well as some common ingredients like water, wine, spirits, beer oil and spices and have to know the right time and the right procedures.) The higher the level of the spell the more juice is needed (usually the juice of one berry per level of the spell per potion). This procedure works for the above mentioned kind of potions (Dungeon-masters-guide); many of the more powerful potions can’t be produced by this method (alone) and not all spells are suited to be brought into potion form as the reader will surly know.

So where do you find the Moonflower and how does it look like?! The Moonflower is a highly magical plant and as you can guess from the name it flowers and ripens only under the full moon. It grows in the dispensary of some (evil) Lycanthropes especially were-wolfs, preferably in the places where they mark the boundaries of their turf (meaning where the wolfs urinate)

This points to a kind of symbiosis between the were-creatures and this plant. This herb reaches a maximum high as your knees and needs a month after germinating to grow a flower. After this it needs again one month for the berry to ripen. The fruit is a single silvery-white berry that detaches easily from the now dying plant and entangles itself like a bur in hair, fur or clothing. The berry becomes dry and nondescript very fast (therefor it needs to be processed soon or magically preserved; the harvest itself is akin to mistletoes)

The dry berry crumbles probably after another month and releases 8-10 small, black seeds. These can germinate immediately or sleep for one or more month in the earth (or hibernate over the winter). This makes for a fruit-cycle of 3-4 moon-month. With 13 full moons per year this makes 2 cycles in the north and 3 cycles per year in the south (the plant doesn’t grow in winter). This means, that you can find berries 2 moon-month after the first full moon after the snow melts (so in the north Mai-June and again in September-October). It is interesting to note that all plants in one place are in the same state of development; you can find flowers and berries in the same forest but never in exactly the same place.

Other than this, the Moonflower favors damp and shadowy places. It has been tried to cultivate the plant but so far in vain. The plant seems to be particular with the conditions of the soil perhaps it needs the urine of the were-creatures or other things – in any case it is usually a year or more, until you can find the plant in the same place again.

It is clear that under the aforementioned circumstances it is hard and risky to get hold of this plant – especially since at least the master-Lycanthropes know of its value.

There are reports, that the plant has other magical properties as well. It is rumored that it can return a polymorphed or cursed creature to its true shape as long as his mind is still intact. It isn’t reported whether the flowers or the berries or both shall have this effect. I haven’t conducted experiments about this and can’t therefor confirm these reports. I think the effect is probable if you think of the plants magic and its connection to the moon, the shape-change and the preserver-effect. Possibly this plant was used in the Ur-cults that according to legend were the origin of both the were-wolf-cults (under the shadow of Malar) and todays Druid-orders.

Panartias, ladies-man and Jack of all trades about his professions:

"Once, I was a fighter -

to conquer the heart of a beautiful lady.

Then I became a thief -

- to steal myself a kiss from her lips.

And finally, I became a mage -

- to enchant her face with a smile."

I wouldn't worry too much about the garden becoming a cash cow for the players.  They're there to adventure, not farm, so it shouldn't be an issue.  If the player starts treating their garden as such, you may ask that player OOC if they think their druid would really be comfortable taking this course since commercial enterprises tend to be very taxing on the land.  

The Moonflower idea is great.  How much fun would it be to try to seek one out and bring back a pristine specimen to put in one's own garden? 
It seems like it would be an amazing hook for an adventure, one of the players wants to be a were and theres an adventure in dungeon somewhere about weres in the feywild... oughta give it try