Tome Expertise

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can someone provide clarification on this:

In addition, enemies adjacent to your conjurations or summoned creatures grant combat advantage. An enemy that is immune to fear is immune to this effect. 

Is this only for purposes of attacks the feat-owner makes or is this a passive bonus granted to anyone adjacent to the conjuration or summoned creature?  Also, if this is only for attacks made by the feat owner, does it only apply to implement attacks make with a tome?

Staff expertise explicitly calls out the granted benefit is only granted when the staff is used as an implement, so I'm unsure if I should infer the same restriction on tome expertise. 

Thanks! 
For as long as they are adjacent to your conjurations or summoned creatures, enemies will grant combat advantage to anyone, this wherever they are on the map.
It does what it says it does - enemies adjacent to your summons and conjurations grant Combat Advantage, without restrictions or qualifications.  If they are adjacent to a summon or conjuration you created, they grant CA.

Tome Expertise is a little silly.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
In fairness Tomes are kind of lame otherwise, they don't even have an accurate SIP.
Thanks very much for your help.
In fairness Tomes are kind of lame otherwise, they don't even have an accurate SIP.

It's a little silly because it functions far better as Shaman support than it does as Wizard support.  CA is much more leadery than controllery.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

It's a little silly because it functions far better as Shaman support than it does as Wizard support.  CA is much more leadery than controllery.

But forcing an enemy to choose between being penalised and standing where you want him to is very controllery. This ability effectively allows your summons and conjurations to 'herd' enemies by making it uncomfortable for them to be in places you designate.
Yeah, I did a complete rebuild of my Shaman|Rogue when Tome Expertise was released.  It seems kind of silly for him to run around wielding a tome and a rapier (by strict RAW, he doesn't need a tome to be in hand or equipped, but he does it anyway.)  But then I realized that there is a mini for a human spellsword that is holding a sword and a book.  So, win-win! 

It is nice to have CA without having to move or any of that other weirdness the Thief has to go through.  :P
Yeah, I did a complete rebuild of my Shaman|Rogue when Tome Expertise was released.  It seems kind of silly for him to run around wielding a tome and a rapier (by strict RAW, he doesn't need a tome to be in hand or equipped, but he does it anyway.)  But then I realized that there is a mini for a human spellsword that is holding a sword and a book.  So, win-win! 

It is nice to have CA without having to move or any of that other weirdness the Thief has to go through.  :P

With that in mind one of my characters decided to make her character (basically a wooden warforged barbarian) be completely molded into a bear.  For god-knows-what-reason we found out that in the box of minis at the table there was actually a roaring bear standing on its hind legs using a giant axe (the character uses an executioner's axe).  Needless to say we now use that mini and I'm stuck in a state of "really?  wait... why do you even have that mini?" 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
  That sounds like the werebear mini from the Angelfire set.
Sign In to post comments