1/4/2013 LD: "Greetings and Extortions!"

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Great article, a really fun and informative read. The preview card on top of it is better than ice cream flavored vegetables.
I wouldn't have guessed that concepting was such a priority! I love learning things like this about Magic design. More, please!
Gavin Creep. Haha oh man. I'm dying here.
Crypt Ghast is sexy, I like it a lot. Wish it had 3 thoughness so it survived Pillar of Flame, Izzet Charm and co. but you can't have everything.

Also, regarding;
There are a few other exciting extort rares for Constructed in the set—including an enchantment that helps answer several cards that are at the peak of Standard right now.

That's the Thragtusk killer, right? I am guessing it will be something like

suck it thragtusk
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Extort.
Enchanted creature can't attack or block and has shroud.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

As I mentioned on another thread, this is the second set running that my favourite keyword mechanic is not at all on the guild that I was expecting. For RTR I had expected to play Izzet or Azorius, but neither of them were particularly Johnny, whereas the unexpected Johnniness peak was with Selesnya's populate mechanic.

And for Gatecrash, I'd have guessed I'd play Simic or Boros or even Dimir. Evolve does still look rather tasty. But I'm leaning more and more towards Orzhov, because Extort looks like just my kind of thing. Treasury Thull has a great card-advantage Johnny trigger as well as his Extort ability. I'm feeling distinctly likely to be siphoning off a little tax here and there to grind out my victories at the Prerelease.

Every time I read a 'behind the scenes' article, MTG staff sound lazy.  Initial meeting, and half the work needs to be done a week later?  Being generous, that 4 weeks of work for the whole set then.  4 sets a year = 8 months off.

They aren't government workers, so I presume Hasbro gets its moneys worth out of them, but what they actually do and how long it actually takes never seems to be clearly and accurately reported to us customers.
Crypt Ghast is sexy, I like it a lot. Wish it had 3 thoughness so it survived Pillar of Flame, Izzet Charm and co. but you can't have everything.

suck it thragtusk
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Extort.

I'd be happy with a land that tapped for colorless mana and had "whenever an opponent puts a 2/2 or 3/3 creature token into play, you gain control of that creature."

My first thought was that the mechanic was green and you were bleeding a little too much.  I hope it plays well to pay off for that.

@Toxicologist, it might sound lazy to have work due "a week later", but it depends a lot on how much time it takes to do that work.  "A week" is a terrible amount of time to be doing a month's worth of work, and doing the same thing repeatedly is more exhausting than doing it once.  I'm with you on "It doesn't sound that bad", but I've learned to be a little more cautious about just how hard things really are, because the devils are always in the details.

Look at all the monoblack Commander decks I won't be included in!
Every time I read a 'behind the scenes' article, MTG staff sound lazy.  Initial meeting, and half the work needs to be done a week later?  Being generous, that 4 weeks of work for the whole set then.  4 sets a year = 8 months off.

They aren't government workers, so I presume Hasbro gets its moneys worth out of them, but what they actually do and how long it actually takes never seems to be clearly and accurately reported to us customers.

Approving half the cards for concepting does not equal doing half the work. It's the old 80/20 rule: 20% of the cards likely consume 80% of the time, and that 20% is not in the half that gets passed over for concepting in the first week.
Gee. I wonder which guild I'm cracking in the prerelease.

The WOTC rules people say the reminder text for extort doesn't count for color identity. That doesn't mean the EDH guys will agree though. As of now, it is up in the air what happens. It is only a small part of Magic, but could extort have just been the color of the guy? Why is this guy letting you get away with paying white mana to extort? Some of these other cards have card-specific keywords so its not like it is that hard to do.

The editing on this article was horrible. Was this edited after a rather rowdy New Year's Eve party?      

Mind you that readying a card for concepting is not the same as actually finalising it; saying "I think this will stay a Dragon" or "this will be a milling spell" hardly prevents them from tweaking the specific effects on those cards dozens of times from there. They get pretty deep into the minutiae of cards and sets, but those things aren't always relevant to the concepts; taking the time to determine which future changes likely will and won't be relevant gives - as the article explains - something tangible with which the Creative team can work. Both the Development and Creative teams still have a lot of work ahead of them from there, and I suspect they make use of every bit of time they have before their deadlines come in order to do it...

Mind you that readying a card for concepting is not the same as actually finalising it; saying "I think this will stay a Dragon" or "this will be a milling spell" hardly prevents them from tweaking the specific effects on those cards dozens of times from there. They get pretty deep into the minutiae of cards and sets, but those things aren't always relevant to the concepts; taking the time to determine which future changes likely will and won't be relevant gives - as the article explains - something tangible with which the Creative team can work. Both the Development and Creative teams still have a lot of work ahead of them from there, and I suspect they make use of every bit of time they have before their deadlines come in order to do it...

This is also a good point. Approving a card for concepting does not mean you've decided what a planeswalker's exact ultimate is, if your red burn spell costs 2 or 3, if Obzedat is a 4/4 or 5/5, etc.

suck it thragtusk
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Extort.

I'd be happy with a land that tapped for colorless mana and had "whenever an opponent puts a 2/2 or 3/3 creature token into play, you gain control of that creature."

Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Extort
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, you may attach [CARDNAME] to that creature.

Enchantment
Permanents you control have extort.
Sacrifice [CARDNAME]: Exile target creature attacking you or a planeswalker you control.

Enchantment
Extort
Creatures can't attack you or a planeswalker you control unless their controller pays for each creature. For each creature attacking you or a planeswalker you controller, its controller loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

Enchantment
Sacrifice [CARDNAME]: Exile target creature attacking you or a planeswalker you control.

o_O might want to say "nonland permanents" for that one....

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

suck it thragtusk
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Extort.

Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Extort
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, you may attach [CARDNAME] to that creature.

Enchantment

Enchantment
Extort
Creatures can't attack you or a planeswalker you control unless their controller pays for each creature. For each creature attacking you or a planeswalker you controller, its controller loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.

1WB:
extort
creatures entering and leaving the battlefield dont cause abilities to trigger.

The WOTC rules people say the reminder text for extort doesn't count for color identity. That doesn't mean the EDH guys will agree though.

The rules for Commander have never taken reminder text into account when determining color identity. Extort is unlikely to change that simply because the verbal contortions necessary to exclude Extort but include, say, Trinisphere are frightening to contemplate.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

The WOTC rules people say the reminder text for extort doesn't count for color identity. That doesn't mean the EDH guys will agree though.

The rules for Commander have never taken reminder text into account when determining color identity. Extort is unlikely to change that simply because the verbal contortions necessary to exclude Extort but include, say, Trinisphere are frightening to contemplate.

There is a long thread on the EDH message boards involving the rules committee people about it. The last thing a RC member said was:
'We're still discussing this on the RC, but In the end, if Extort cards get played in mono decks, it will hardly be the end of the world.  Clearly, Extort is an Orzhov-only mechanic, but also clearly, the mana symbol is in the reminder text, which we'd prefer stay off-limits to color identity assessment. 
We'll have something (even if that something is "no change to the reminder text rule") by the next update on 28 January.'  

So, it isn't officially resolved, and it isn't WOTC's decision. Maybe WOTC'll think about stuff like this in the future, but beefing up extort for multiplayer occurred late according to this article. It just isn't something they seem is worth taking the time to care about.   

Wow, this is quite a failure to comprehend what you're reading.

"Roughly half of the set has to be concepted by the end of the week."

That's just the concepting.  It does not include any of the other work that goes into developing a set, which, if you're actually reading the 'behind the scenes' articles, you'd know involves a lot of different tasks.
Sign In to post comments