My own Izzet keyword: Innovation

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

I wanted the Izzet to deal with innovation and experimentation where every time you play the mechanic, it bring something new to the table. You never know what the experiment will bring until you have the proper ingredients. I want each spell to be a risk and to truely express Izzet's innovation. Not that there is anything wrong with Replicate or Overload but I just feel like WotC could have done better or more original than Overload... Idk I can't really say. So here is my idea for Izzet...

Innovation # (When this spell comes into play, draw a card. If the drawn card is an instant or sorcery with converted mana cost or less, you may play it without paying it's mana cost. If not, put it into your hand and then discard a card)

With innovation, each card will have a different innovation numbers and thus allow you the potential of casting spells faster. At the same time it still has Izzet's looting style and only affects instants and sorceries but still the keyword can be assigned to creatures as well. The innovation keyword will only be activated upon the spell being cast which reflects new ideas being brought to the board. This way Izzet will have less to do with just making spells scatter (such as with overload) and more on the innovation of those spells.

Example(s)...

Mizzium Nivmage
Creature - Human Wizard {Rare}
*Innovation 5 (When this spell comes into play, draw a card. If the drawn card is an instant or sorcery with converted mana cost or less, you may play it without paying it's mana cost. If not, put it into your hand and then discard a card).
4/4

With Mizzium Nivmage, you get a 4/4 for and yet it is has an Innovation of 5 which is all it will need to be a really good card. I tried to make it so it wasn't OP and I'm hoping I balanced it enough. Innovation will probably only start at cards costing and more as well as begin maybe with uncommons.

So what do you guys think????

This looks good but Innovation 5 on a 4/4 for 4 is pretty OP. I'd consider lowering the P/T or upping the mana cost.
This looks good but Innovation 5 on a 4/4 for 4 is pretty OP. I'd consider lowering the P/T or upping the mana cost.

Yeah I'd prefer a lower P/T than upping the mana cost. Maybe making it a 2/3 or 2/2 at best

Probably 2/2. Because when you look at it you're basically getting up to 9 mana worth of spells for 4 mana. It's a great idea though and great example. You could potentially make your own set using this mechanic.
Probably -2/-2.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Probably 2/2. Because when you look at it you're basically getting up to 9 mana worth of spells for 4 mana. It's a great idea though and great example. You could potentially make your own set using this mechanic.

Thanks!!! I appreciate that... and yea a 2/2 would be better or even bring down the Innovation cost or up its cmc

Mizzium Nivmage
Creature - Human Wizard {Rare}
*Innovation 3 (When this spell comes into play, draw a card. If the drawn card is an instant or sorcery with converted mana cost or less, you may play it without paying it's mana cost. If not, put it into your hand and then discard a card).
2/2

At best the highest I would proabably allow Innovation to go IS 5 so anything that cost or more would have to be casted normally. I can't really imagine a well balanced card that would have Innovation 6+ unless the card itself cost like or more.

Probably -2/-2.

It could just be one of those really good rares. Or you could consider making the Inovation cost no greater than -1 the mana cost of the creature. Consider:

Creature |
Innovation 3
1/1
Probably -2/-2.

It could just be one of those really good rares. Or you could consider making the Inovation cost no greater than -1 the mana cost of the creature. Consider:

Creature |
Innovation 3
1/1

I can see that working out, yeah. Innovation is also a keyword that can go on non-creature spells so at best for those I can see it that Innovation is the true prize and so the spells' side abilities are limited such as...

Name
Sorcery {Common}
*Deal 1 damage to target creature or player.
*Innovation 1

You could play this and then hopefully you can draw (lets say) a Lightningbolt and then over all you deal 4 damage. If you draw something that cost then the worst you get is that you still keep that card but get rid of a card you may not want.

What I love about this is that at best you get a free cast spell, at worst you loot yourself which is what wants to do anyways.

You can also use this in combination with cards like Index to ensure you can cast the spells you want.

This looks to me like a weaker version of cascade... being speifically only instants/sorceries and more than just a lower cost of the origional card, the only upside being you can loot a card if you don't cast it...

Is that difference in thier cost really worth the mana for that loot? I thought typically adding a cantrip to a card only costs 1 colorless extra... I would think a loot would be less pricy than a cantrip.

Otherwise the flavor of this mechanic is very Izzet in my mind and I approve.
Spells don't enter the battlefield; permanents do.

I agree that it's mostly an awkward version of cascade. That ability was overpowered, but much more interesting. The problem is the success rate. Compare it to Delver of Secrets and clash. In the former, your success rate in a deck hellbent on making it work is about 50%, but it doesn't need to hit right away. If it takes a few turns, you can still find a huge benefit. For clash, it's only a one time deal as well, but you still get the minor scry benefit, and the extra benefit wasn't the best thing in the world anyway. My suggestion is to change it to more of an Impulse and play ability. Perhaps:

Innovation # (When this permanent enters the battlefield, look at the top three cards of your library. You may reveal an instant or sorcery card from those cards with converted mana cost # or less. If you do, cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the rest on the bottom of your library.)

Okay I like the higher chance of success but what if none of the spells cost # or less? Do you just put all three back in the library?

I added the loot aspect so that you at the very least get both the Izzet feel and a new card out of it at worse.

Okay I like the higher chance of success but what if none of the spells cost # or less? Do you just put all three back in the library?

I added the loot aspect so that you at the very least get both the Izzet feel and a new card out of it at worse.

similar to cascade

Cascade (When you cast this spell, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card that costs less. You may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom in a random order.)
NO WAR

Cartoon The Fish

Got blocked out of twitter

looks like Mtg hasn't given up using the word "battlefield" which is completely unnecessary as the board is be considered the default state

Ah, I totally missed the loot. In that case, the original ability aint all that bad... except it might as well just cantrip at that point. Either way, I'd word it:

When this permanent enters the battlefield, look at the top card of your library. You may reveal that card. If you do and its an instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost # or less, cast it without paying its mana cost. Otherwise, draw a card.

Ideas:
1. Were you using "spell" as a way to force the player to cast this for the benefit?
1a. If so, I'd go with the cascade method of just triggering on the spell being cast.
2. You could also just make it an ability that resolves with the spell proper. Just cut out the whole trigger and start with "Look at the top..."
The second was more of where I was going. And yeah that works

Sign In to post comments