B/W Casual Pestilence and Last Laugh Jape

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
It is time, once again, for me to have a go at building a new deck, I think. I've had a few goes at building around Pestilence, but never quite got it right. I quite like the shape this attempt is taking, though, so I'm after more tips and genius inspiration from you guys.

So wot you rekon?

Creatures:
Apprentice Necromancer
4 Wispmare
Hedron-Field Purists
Mine Bearer
2 Swans of Bryn Argoll

Non-Creatures:
4 Dark Ritual
3 Do or Die
Seal of Cleansing
Liability
2 Victimize
Last Laugh
3 Pestilence

Lands:
3 Orzhov Basilica
3 Tainted Field
12 Swamp
4 Plains

I'm limited to fairly cheap cards, so no suggestions that'll cost me over £2 per card, please, but all other suggestions welcomed with tea and delicious homemade cakes. Cheers!
Last Laugh is extra funny in my BW deck after an arbitrarily large Storm Herd provides me an army of tokens.  My record is 58 points of Last Laugh damage, which I subsequently survived!

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Hello there, you seem to have returned here at the same time as me! Your current decklist lacks focus, it's just Last Laugh + Pestilence together with random cards that happen to have synergy with them.. You should check out some black-white cards to find other engine cards that would be strong here, but only cards with one single white mana symbol because most of your lands should produce black mana.. Also, replace the land cards that can't do that with land cards that ~can~ always produce black mana, for example Vivid Marsh + Orzhov Guildgate.. And since you're not playing a super-fast deck with completely devastating three-mana cards or four-mana cards that heavily reward you for wasting that extra card, replace Dark Ritual with permanent mana-acceleration like Orzhov Keyrune, even though the card wasn't spoiled yet.. Oh, this decklist really needs more creatures that aren't destroyed when they're dealt damage, whether it's because of a high toughness or because of protection or because of regeneration or because of indestructible..
Hey Cats! Did you have anything specific in mind? I've been searching for ages, but haven't really found any more engine cards that fit, particularly.

Yep, I'll have a look at B/W lands to replace the Plains'.

Liability is out as it's possibly the stupidest card choice I've ever made. I must admit that Dark Ritual never really felt right, so that's gone too.

Some things I have found that could be interesting include Death Pits of RathGreater HarvesterCemetery Gate (obviously a good choice, but appears to be in every single Pestilence deck ever), Nomads en-Kor and Shaman en-Kor (would play nicely with the swans and...) Souls of the Faultless, and Obsidian Acolyte. What would you make of these?
well wall of hope is kinda fun. It negates the damage your own pestilence does to you but does limit the damage you can do with pestilence to 2 a turn.

wall of light and cemetery gate have ptrotection from black. Since pestilence does damage prot black also gets the job done (and leaves a creature in play yet). there are many non wall creatures that have this ability as well.

For artifact sources it is hard to beat charcoal diamond. It is in the right mana cpst spot for what you need, and gives black mana. coalition relic is good at 3 but is pricey. On a similar vein have you ever seen withering wisps or skeleton shard the shard is REALLY good at getting cheap artifact creatures back such as shield sphere.

4 shield sphere
4 etched champion
4 stuffy doll
4 creepy doll
4 darksteel juggernaut

4 charcoal diamond
4 withering wisps
4 pestilence
4 skeleton shard

20 snow-covered swamp
4 vault of whispers

is kinda fun for instance.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I'm sorry, but you'll have to remove the swans (multiple white mana symbols!) unless you're running many super-expensive lands that can produce both colors.. Wall Of Souls + Wall Of Essence + Souls Of The Faultless sounds nice, maybe when combined with Sleeper Agent and "lifelink" effects? Also, did you already consider non-creature cards that can transform into creatures? And your first decklist seemed like punishing opponents while "sacrificing" your permanents was important for you, and Martyr's Bond + Grave Pact would support this strategy and even could replace Pestilence + Last Laugh..
Another thing to remember if trying to go cheap is that you can play white/red pestilence very easily.

sunglasses of urza
enlightened tutor
pyrohemia

Work surprisings well together and will let you play your,
wall of hope
Hedron-Field Purists
Swans of Bryn Argoll

and even some other things like,
kor firewalker
guardian of the guildpact

If you also play blood moon you can get some seriously good whining going on in multiplayer.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
First, I want to point out that Souls of the Faultless only works on combat damage, so no go in Pestilence land.

Also, if you can find some, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth would solve all your non-swamp problems. Because Swans of Bryn Argoll is AMAZING. :o You can also use something like Chromatic Lantern as a mana fixer. But if you do snag Urborg, definitely try and find some Cabal Coffers Yowza, so much mana. :o
I'm pretty sure that nobody that suggested Souls Of The Faultless was looking for direct synergy with Last Laugh + Pestilence, it's good for slower decks that would like to prevent your opponent from attacking and that could need a creature that survives 2-3 points of damage, whether it's from creatures or from enchantments..
I never thought of Swans of Bryn Argoll + Pestilence... I think I'll steal that for my Pyrohemia deck.

as for yours, have you considered cards like Smallpox to take advantage of your Last Laugh?  A creature and a land means 2 damage just from last laugh after all.  Maybe a single Death Cloud could work out as well
I've been doing some tinkering over the past couple of days. Cats, I know you think the Swans should go, and I understand why, but they're just too good in this deck to drop. I now have 12 white mana producing lands in the deck, which makes it statistically likely that it will be able to produce two white mana by turn four or five. I love Martyr's Bond - it's in, but Grave Pact is too expensive for me.

Skeindubh, I want to stick with black because I really want to keep Last Laugh in there, as it's just really fun.

1FlamingWalnut1, yeah I realised that Souls wouldn't synergise with Pestilence, as Cats said, I was thinking about it for control purposes. Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately they are all well out of my price range.

El_Pared, I did give some thought to using Smallpox, but I've decided to go for permanents that sacrifice themselves with various effects, instead, as Smallpox type cards would really depend upon Last Laugh being in play for them to have any particularly useful effect.

Here's the current list:

Creatures:
4 Tragic Poet
4 Augur of Skulls
4 Wispmare
4 Fleshbag Marauder
3 Hedron-Field Purists
3 Swans of Bryn Argoll

Non-Creatures:
3 Animate Dead
2 Seal of Cleansing
4 Last Laugh
3 Pestilence
2 Night Dealings
2 Martyr's Bond

Lands:
11 Swamp
4 Tainted Field
3 Vivid Marsh
3 Orzhov Basilica
2 Transguild Promenade

What you reckon, then?
I understand your reasoning, but since when is making people sacrifice things not useful? :p

looks pretty beastly now though.  Martyr's Bond seems particularly nasty.

have you playtested this?  I ask because it looks like it needs draw.  Maybe some Altar's Reap could help 
Unless I'm horribly mistaken, Transguild Promenade is much weaker than Orzhov Guildgate! How do you make sure that you'll always have creatures that survive Pestilence + Last Laugh?
Indeed - 4 Orzhov Guildgates replace 2 Promenades and 2 Vivid Marshes.

I guess I can't make sure, but I have 3 Hedron-Field Purists, 3 Swans and 4 Augur of Skulls that can all survive. I also have 2 Night Dealings' that can tutor one of these up if I need one. You think I should have more? It hasn't really been a problem, but I'm open to suggestions...
Augur Of Skulls is much better at forcing opponents to discard something and requires you to pay whenever it's dealt damage, and we're talking about six-mana versions of Hedron-Field Purists that are still pretty fragile..
I usually see Pestilence decks running Disciple of Grace or something to keep their creatures alive.

in my Pyrohemia deck I use Mistmeadow Skulk, who ends up working out pretty well especially if you can pump him up to gain back some of your life through lifelink damage.  He also has the added bonus of resisting a LOT of spot removal and sweepers besides just Pestilence effects
That sounds good, because Last Laugh + Pestilence both have converted mana cost four! But since creatures being destroyed triggers Martyr's Bond, something like Reassembling Skeleton might be just as interesting..