Pyromancer's Swath

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I cycle Resounding Thunder, will Pyromancer's Swath boost the damage from the trigger?
Rules Advisor
Yes. The instant card in your graveyard will deal the damage. Pyromancer's Swath doesn't say ïnstant [...] spell"; it says "instant [...] source", so it'll apply even to that.
No.
When you cycle the thunder it causes the triggered ability to go on the stack, it is the trigger resolving that is dealing damage, not an instant or sorcery.

Edit:  Really? It's not the triggered ability?
MTG Rules Advisor
Abilities never deal damage; they only ever cause some other object to deal damage. The "it" in "it deals 6 damage" refers to the Resounding Thunder card in the graveyard.
Yes. Resounding Thunder is an instant and its trigger states, that it is RT that deals the damage so Pyromancer's Swath's effect applies. The object dealing the damage doesn't have to be a spell on the stack, it just needs to have the sorcery or instant type.

I started up my next community draft in the limited forums. This time around the format is Zendikar/Worldwake/Rise of the Eldrazi. So if you like to draft, come by and share your thoughts.

CD2: General

My community draft experiment with DTK/DTK/FRF is concluded now. If you want to, you can check it out and maybe build some decks from the pools. I've already build my own take on that.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

Ok, thanks. I have another question about cycling. Does the "when you cycle..." ability trigger from the hand or the graveyard?
Rules Advisor
Ok, thanks. I have another question about cycling. Does the "when you cycle..." ability trigger from the hand or the graveyard?

_Magic: The Gathering_ Comprehensive Rules

These rules are effective as of October 1, 2012.

702.27c Some cards with cycling have abilities that trigger when they're cycled. "When you cycle [this card]" means "When you discard [this card] to pay a cycling cost." These abilities trigger from whatever zone the card winds up in after it's cycled.
Yes. Resounding Thunder is an instant and its trigger states, that it is RT that deals the damage so Pyromancer's Swath's effect applies. The object dealing the damage doesn't have to be a spell on the stack, it just needs to have the sorcery or instant type.

so bloodrush can be treated as instants too? like in this thread's example?

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.

so bloodrush can be treated as instants too? like in this thread's example?

No.  Bloodrush is found on creature cards.  Just because you can activate it anytime you could use an instant doesn't make it an instant.

Rules Advisor

Sign In to post comments