1/3/2013 TD: "Animal House"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

What is going on with the skull Domri has. His hand is just resting on the horn, and the skull appears to be floating in midair.
This would have been muh more exciting if, you know, we hadn't seen this card weeks ago :/.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Kind of missing the point in the article, since the "shell" is the peddler and the staticaster. Then again, if this new planeswalker can replace the thragtusk, it may just bring the cost to within reach of all of us.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Domri Rade will be reprinted in the next exciting expansion, where the bad guys are switching the plane from the decimal system to hexidecimal.  It's the Hexproof Matters! block.  

I can't tell what is going on with the art. Looks like a big elephant skull behind him, and he's holding a limp dead body? 
What is going on with the skull Domri has. His hand is just resting on the horn, and the skull appears to be floating in midair.

The skull is strapped to him.

He looks like a kid orc. (I actually was convinced he was she, but I guess not.) As a new planeswalker getting introduced, I'd think he'd get a flavor article explaining his character.
I'm glad WotC has decided to make planeswalkers more on the Tibalt side of the line, and less on the Tamiyo side.

Both of the new planeswalkers in this set look very mediocre and narrow, and I'm just fine with that.
This would have been muh more exciting if, you know, we hadn't seen this card weeks ago :/.

Oh, come on. What are they supposed to do? Say 10% or 20% of the audience has seen the unofficial Craigslist spoiler. Are they supposed to just not preview one of the set's two Planeswalkers? Are they supposed to apologise for some nutjob spoiling a handful of mythics, and maybe run a preview article of all of these big splashy cards, completely swamping the 80% of the audience who hasn't seen it?

I think it's time to quote Chris Millar yet again.  "You go and look at spoilers and now you're sad that your experience of seeing the new cards for the first time has been spoiled? Funny how that works."
yeah, i hadn't seen it, so i was very glad we saw it here.

The art is amazing. He's holding his "wizard staff" (although hes most likely a shaman) while carrying the prize from his last victim. Hes much better than the last attempt to make a red-green walker, and he is probably gruul, which makes him all the more awesome
I'm glad WotC has decided to make planeswalkers more on the Tibalt side of the line, and less on the Tamiyo side.

Both of the new planeswalkers in this set look very mediocre and narrow, and I'm just fine with that.

gideon is narrow? he grows montsrously to become a monstrous threat. control will use as finisher
I was kinda dissapointed that the article spoke only of green. I play mostly red with a hint of green and I am excited about Domri. Along with focusing on decks with a lot of creatures, he will also help those of us that use more spells bc it give serious teeth to the few creatures we DO carry. I get a 3/3 Flinthoof Boar on turn two and my spells can defend him just fine. Then with his -7 even my little Bellows Lizard or Stromkirk Noble becomes formidable. I WANT!!!
If he is growing "monstrously" than that means the opponent has a "monstrous" army that they will kill him with. Also can be chumped.

If you win with the new Gideon than you were already winning the game anyway because you a good board position to protect him and to make his attacks relevant.

Again, he is a narrow card that has to be built around, unlike Tamiyo which can be thrown in any U/W control shell that has wraths and be very annoying and dangerous.
If he is growing "monstrously" than that means the opponent has a "monstrous" army that they will kill him with. Also can be chumped.

If you win with the new Gideon than you were already winning the game anyway because you a good board position to protect him and to make his attacks relevant.

Again, he is a narrow card that has to be built around, unlike Tamiyo which can be thrown in any U/W control shell that has wraths and be very annoying and dangerous.

i can see that argument. however, gideon clearly needed a -15 ult during ffl and testing, so im optimistic
I was kinda dissapointed that the article spoke only of green. I play mostly red with a hint of green and I am excited about Domri. Along with focusing on decks with a lot of creatures, he will also help those of us that use more spells bc it give serious teeth to the few creatures we DO carry. I get a 3/3 Flinthoof Boar on turn two and my spells can defend him just fine. Then with his -7 even my little Bellows Lizard or Stromkirk Noble becomes formidable. I WANT!!!

You know it's a mistake to judge a planeswalker based on its ultimate right? Especially on a walker that doesn't protect itself with its + ability, like this one.

Domri Rade will never ultimate unless you're already winning.

i can see that argument. however, gideon clearly needed a -15 ult during ffl and testing, so im optimistic

I'm sure someone in FFL played a Sphinx's Revelation and then dropped Gideon and Sleep on the next turn and Development had a heart attack.
You know it's a mistake to judge a planeswalker based on its ultimate right? Especially on a walker that doesn't protect itself with its + ability, like this one.

Domri Rade will never ultimate unless you're already winning.

Not judging by it's ultimate, I am thinking of it's 1st and 2nd. The 1st will help me get creatures on the field, and the 2nd will help me keep them around, giving me time to burn my opponent to death. I sometime have to "waste" my spells on defense bc I don't have enough blockers.

Sign In to post comments