Solution for multiclassing and dead levels:

As it is now there is no multiclassing but there is plans for it.

It could get problematic if done 3.5E style(front loading and min maxing) and bleh style 4E, 4E hybrids were good.

Of course there is dead levels also to attend.

and expertise/MDD's: for the sake of this topic we'll call them points and everyone will get them Tongue Out

1st: for dead levels:

a) characters should get feats at levels:
1,2,4,6...etc
b) characters should have Expertise points equal:
1 + 1/2 level(same rate as feats), total 11 at lvl21.
c) characters should get +1 to one ability at levels:
2,4,6,8, etc(this will also give total of +10 points, but will increase primaries faster. If you want to prevent that we can call that you can't raise same ability twice in a row).
d) characters should get bonus skill training at levels 3,5,7,9 etc.

that means that overall characters get their "character bonus" every even level, with slight touch every odd level.

That leaves class abilities to strong at levels 1,3,5,7 etc and minor fluff abilities at even levels(2,4,6 etc)

Sum total: class specific abilities at odd levels, character general abilities at even levels.

2nd: Multiclassing

this will be the most difficult work for WotC design crew and us playtesters to chew through.

I would go with "Limited 3E style":

No.1: no multiclassing before level 3, you must atleast have 2 levels in your base class.

No.2: when you do multiclass you MUST take EVEN number of levels before raising another class(your base or new multiclassor prestige class).

that will give nicer power gauge to work with as level 4 you will be X2/Y2 and only one good ability from each class and one fluff ability from each class.
And will avoid X1/Y3 with 3 strong class abilities and only one weak. And let's not forget the dreaded W1/X1/Y1/Z1 Yell combos.
that will translate that you take 2 levels of one class then 2 levels of other then 2 levels of first class again then 4 levels of the 2nd then 10 levels of prestige class and you're EPIC Cool

Prestige classes would also be in 4,6,8,10 level packages with minimum level to take the first 5 or 7(or 13th for lets say, archmageTongue Out)

Now, there is also an option to limit multiclassing to only 2 classes(humans could have 3) and 1 prestige class(humans could have 2)
except they already put a description to their plan that precludes the need for these restrictions in multiclassing.  When you multiclass into something you will be working from a different progression table than if you took it as your base class.  At least that is what we have heard thus far

this will be the most difficult work for WotC design crew and us playtesters to chew through.

No.1: no multiclassing before level 3, you must atleast have 2 levels in your base class.

No.2: when you do multiclass you MUST take EVEN number of levels before raising another class(your base or new multiclassor prestige class).

I would not want these two restrictions. I'd like the option to make a (for example) fighter/mage right at 1st level. Yes, they're talking about 3e-style multiclassing, but I can keep asking for a way to make absolutely any character type I want. And having started with 1st Ed, I have a lot of multiclass-at-1st-level ideas I'd like to put into play.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

except they already put a description to their plan that precludes the need for these restrictions in multiclassing.  When you multiclass into something you will be working from a different progression table than if you took it as your base class.  At least that is what we have heard thus far

They did say this, but it was quite a while ago now. This may no longer be their plan. I suspect one of the reasons we have seen no multi-classing yet is because they are still trying to decide on their approach. The unified skill die progression does suggest a slightly different approach than their initial musings, that is more in line with what the OP is suggesting.

I would not want these two restrictions. I'd like the option to make a (for example) fighter/mage right at 1st level. Yes, they're talking about 3e-style multiclassing, but I can keep asking for a way to make absolutely any character type I want. And having started with 1st Ed, I have a lot of multiclass-at-1st-level ideas I'd like to put into play.

you can be fighter/mage later on by spending feats.

Like they did in 3.5E complete series with multiclass feats.

I.E. feat: warmage, you get +2 weapon and spell attack bonus, your weapon attack can't be higher than fighters of your level and spell attack/DC cant be higher than wizards of your level.

feat: extra spell slots: you get extra spell level slots equall to half your character level. I.E. fighter6/wizard6 would get 6 spell levels worth of slots. As his highest spell level is 3rd, that is 2 level 3 spell slots.

feat: empowered spell maneuver: spend 2 expertise points per spell level to empower that spell(+50% damage)

feat: spell and sword style maneuver: you attack with weapon and spell as a same action, you must spend 2 points per spell level to use it like this and you gain +1d6 on weapon damage per spell level combined. If the weapon attack is ranged, spell must be ranged also and weapon range is limited to/or expanded to spell range.

Feat: Mage strike: you can hurl your melee weapon at range of 20ft per spent expertise point and deal +1d6 damage per spent point. The weapon returns at begining of your next round.

But the whole point is that I want a multiclass character AT 1st level, not later on. Several of my character concepts require blending right at the beginning.

But the whole point is that I want a multiclass character AT 1st level, not later on. Several of my character concepts require blending right at the beginning.

As long as multiclassing is the only way to gain abilities from other classes, you can never acheive that at level one.  Unless they just happen to see the combination you want as popular enough that they decide to make a full class out of it.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

As long as multiclassing is the only way to gain abilities from other classes, you can never acheive that at level one.  Unless they just happen to see the combination you want as popular enough that they decide to make a full class out of it.

Why? Pre-3rd Edition multi-classing worked just fine.

I will be using it in any case, whether I have to make it work myself (as I did in 4th Edition) or not. A clearly defined (at least in the DMG, if not the PHB) progression of skills, feats and class features would make it extremely easy. 

Why? Pre-3rd Edition multi-classing worked just fine.

I will be using it in any case, whether I have to make it work myself (as I did in 4th Edition) or not. A clearly defined (at least in the DMG, if not the PHB) progression of skills, feats and class features would make it extremely easy. 

No offense, but create a level 16 fighter then take a level of wizard and tell me if you're really 1 level stronger.  3e multiclassing broke down hugely when you tried to mix magic and mundane, or cleric and wizard.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

I don't see why not.  As has been pointed out you could do this (if you were a demi-human) at lv.1 in 1e & 2e.

Or you could do what we always did in 1e-3x/PF. 
Once you've selected an additional class, be it at 1st lv or later, then you simply divide your xp gained by # of classes.
In 1&2e?  You lv. up in any class whenever you get enough xp in its column.
In 3x?  You still lv up as the general chart says, just now in more than 1 class. 
Either case?  You advance slower than other players.
Note; once you had multiple classes, you were ALWAYS gaining lvs in them.  So there was none of this BS of just snagging a lv. of something for its early features.  Because if you did?  Well, you'd pay for that until you quit playing the character....  So adding an additional class was always a well considered thing.
And this was never a problem for those I played with.  A) You had to choose to do this, so no, you don't get to complain about it later.....  B) Our DMs weren't afraid to have mixed lv. parties. 
No offense, but create a level 16 fighter then take a level of wizard and tell me if you're really 1 level stronger.  3e multiclassing broke down hugely when you tried to mix magic and mundane, or cleric and wizard.

You're not 1 level stronger at all, and that's the flaw of the 3e-style of multiclassing. You're now a 16th fighter who can choose not to fight for a round and cast like a 1st wizard, which is really no help at all for most 16th-level fights. I vastly prefer the 1st/2nd Ed multiclassing, where you started out as both at 1st level, and they progressed together.

Which isn't to say I want to throw out the 3rd Ed version altogether. It certainly has its place in character development. I just don't want it to be the only method.

I think if they are going to keep the Skills so narrow that each class should get a new skill every few levels.   That could fill up dead levels. 
They would need to further break down classes into separate components in order to multiclass at 1st level.

Maybe they could have a theme or power source in addition to class and then basically split the class in half.

Fighter could be split into a Fighter Class and a Martial Theme.

Wizard could be split into a Wizard Class and an Arcane Theme.

Cleric could be split into a Cleric Class and a Divine Theme

Rogue could be split into a Rogue Class and Shadow Theme

Monk could be split into a Monk Class and a Mystic Theme.

Characters could then mix and match and achieve at least a dual class at 1st level.

Backgrounds and specialties could add into the mix and make a character a multiclass character combination.

The early test packets seemed to suggest this would be possible.  I made a character who was a High Elf (race) Fighter (class) Acolyte (Specialty) Spy (Background) and was very similar to a multiclass fighter/wizard/cleric/rogue.  Later packets defeated the effectiveness of specialties over just hand-picking feats and softened all the other options as well.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the Devs have mentioned, more than once, that they are aware of dead levels and that it is a late stage issue. Enough people have voiced their opinion and Wizards is fully aware it's an issue, they just have more important things that come first in the process. Dead levels are a fine tuning correction, and that comes after you've finalized the mechanics. Don't expect sweeping changes in the next couple of packets.

I'm not saying don't talk about it, just know that Wizards is aware of the problem and will get to it when they can.

If you need proof that they know it's an issue, watch the Google Hangout Discussion Video. They talk about it specifically at the 8 minute mark.

My two copper.

exactly

+1