Final stage of DOTP 2013 life?

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've just jumped on (Xbox) after a month of not playing and after about 15 games I haven't seen one deck from either of the two deck packs. As I haven't downloaded the latest deck pack to be released I was really hoping to get some matchups against the decks...but nothing.

Even the number of expansion decks has been slim (I think I've only seen expansion decks played three times; twice as collective might and once as aura servants), and in addition I've noticed that almost half the decks I come across are mill!

This spells out to me that the community has pretty much died, and the only people still playing are noobs that bought the game (the basic game) on xmas special. I find this quite sad. I guess Wizards/Stainless can be forgiven for their strategy with 2012 to make each successive deck in the deck packs more and more powerful, as from a marketing strategy point of view it works. However, I much prefer what they've done this year with the third deck pack release, and I'm really looking forward to it, but I can't help but feel that the disappointment of the first two deck has severely reduced the player base and most of those people won't be coming back with the release of the third deck pack. I think the decks in the first two deck packs really needed something more unique -- we already had a tonne of dual colour decks in the expansion; the deck pack decks (with the exception of GP) have just been more of the same, but severely lacking in power/consistency (not to mention cards).
Feel sorry for you. Ps3 seems like it's still going strong and personally, my goto first deck for 1v1 has been GP followed by AS.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

2hg is still active. 1v1 got boring for me unless its a tournament or with friends.
I don't think it's dead at all on the Xbox, I still have no trouble finding games for 2HG or 1v1, 2HG is probably more active TBH probably because of its sheer potential for diversity every single match. But I'd agree that in 1v1 you hardly ever see the deck packs, but I still see the expansion decks quite a bit. Seems like I run into SS like every other match still, AS has seemed to increase in popularity as well.
Regarding Mill, it's always popular in every mode, mainly as the turbo-mill variety and only then because it takes almost no brains to play like that - just spam cards at the face and hope to win.

I've tried doing that, I just can't. I keep looking at all the control options and going "I need at least this, this, and this" so I always end up with a hybrid version at best. I don't like the feeling of losing because I was playing a deck with no control when I had options.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

A lot of 1VS1 community on xbox has moved to 2HG, from what i've seen. I've started playing 2HG and i've seen a lot of players come into 2HG lobbies.

I've started playing a control, card draw Dream Puppets, it works well as a support deck but it's brutally difficult to play. Which makes it even more fun 
Thanks for the discussion guys.

Just to clarify, I never said the game was dead, just implied that it was on it's last legs (i.e. if you could put the lifecycle of a game in stages [e.g. if stage 1 was something like everybody and their dog is playing; stage 2 was like the short attention span/not a fan of magic people stop playing; stage 3 (final) only the die-hard fans are left and peeps buying the game on super special]; then I thought what I had seen resembled a game that was in it's final stage final stage). I'm hoping the next deck pack will rejuvenate the population, but from what I've observed I am worried that a new deck pack might not be enough.

I haven't had much trouble getting games either, but it was the nature of my opponents that had me concerned.

Having said all this, the first opponent I played after posting my last post was explicitly using decks from the latest deck pack, so I got my wish!
The new deck pack will get players playing again. IMO the other two deck packs weren't that great and for me personally, SaS was a huge let down
This game has been on life support for months.

Yeah the deckpacks were bad, too bad for me, i hope this last deckpack is good so i start to play this game again...

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Yeah, in retrospect, I only like one of the four DLC decks - I liked SaS at first, but it kept having failings it shouldn't have (in particular, next to no draw in a deck with Lorescale Coatl, for fun's sake!) BR/AoW are both pretty much total misses for me. Neither has the kind of optimal aggro that GG/PK do, and they're both miserable or mediocre as control decks. GP is a fantastic deck; if the other three had been like that, I'd be more satisfied with my purchases. BR needed less subpar critters, SaS needed to act more like a UG deck, and AoW was just...well, I question the sobriety of the designers. Brightflame and Rally the Righteous are key cards because most of the rest of the cards are borderline bad, and both of them are unpredictable in how useful they'll be in each game - you want your opponents playing different colours that you, and in 2HG you want your partner to be playing same colours for Rally but different for Brightflame. Worse, they didn't include any ways to change anything's colour(s) so that you could have any control over the mechanic at all.

Here's to hoping they step their game up for 2014. I made one or two suggestions in the Duels 2014 deck requests thread... 

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

I have never had trouble finding a game on either Steam or the xbox.  The claim that the game is on life support seems completely wrong to me.   I also encounter people playing all of the deck pack decks frequently.  There is more mill and goblins than I'd like, but there's a ton of diversity too so I don't really mind it.  

I also have really grown to like all of the deck pack decks so far.  They aren't the most competitive decks necessarily but each one is sufficiently unique that it makes playing them pretty fun.   
I also have really grown to like all of the deck pack decks so far.  They aren't the most competitive decks necessarily but each one is sufficiently unique that it makes playing them pretty fun.   

This sounds...I dunno, wrong? Reads to me like "I also have really grown to like all the students in my special education class. They aren't the smartest kids necessarily, but each one is sufficiently unique and rewarding to teach."

I'm probably just deeply disturbed. Don't mind me. 

Well, if the goal is to always win playing the most competitive deck possible then 3 of the 4 deck pack decks don't meet that goal.  But if that were my goal, I'd probably only play goblins anyway.  I find it pretty entertaining to play the less competitive decks - because they are still fairly competitive, and each one has a sufficiently distinct playstyle to keep it interesting.  It's not like we're talking about Dragon's Roar here.  You can still beat every other deck with Act of War even if it is slightly more difficult to do so.
It's possible nobody is playing the deck pack decks because they're terrible. I used them a couple times after unlocking them and not only did it lead to me never wanting to use them again, it completely killed my interest in the game. I haven't played the game for weeks now because I feel so burned on these poorly designed, boring, weak decks.

And I disagree that the deck pack decks are unique.

Totally anecdotal, but when I last played the game online (on Steam) it was less active than I remember 2012 being at the same time last year.
I can't agree with that statement either.

Sure, they can be fun against noobs if yer partner also brings a power deck but without that..... nah. Besides Procession which works well in 2HG those decks are mediocre and a chore to play with randoms.

Also, Selesnya while okay is just woefuly underpowered to any deck with kills. Some of these decks just don't seem like they had much thought put into them in the context of at least more than one mode. All in all these deck packs are disappointing but I think a lot of it comes because of the Promos. They REALLY need to sort that crap out next time. Promos have really screwed up the balance in the game imo.

Well I think they're pretty decent decks, even if they are less competitive than many others, but I was talking about 1v1.  2HG is a different story - I think they are actually much better because they combo well with a lot of decks.  And I don't mean against noobs, they work well against anyone.

BR + GM is an outstanding combo - GM can haste BR creatures; both decks have their own haste options; GM provides decent removal which compensates for BR's weakness, BR's trample instants will always trigger a Bloodchief Ascension quickly, and BR's trample instants work well with any deck that has fast creatures.  BR + GG is similar but BR can provide fantastic support to just about any other deck, although I think it works best with decks that have haste options.  

AoW + GG or PK is a fairly good combo if AoW is built appropriately, given AoW's radiance cards and haste creatures.  I have yet to try AoW + BR but the potential is certainly there.

GP is a powerful deck that works with just about anything.

SaS doesn't combo well with many decks in my opinion but it's still great in 2HG, since it's a deck that becomes significantly stronger by turn 6 or 7.  It is the deck I've played the least in 2HG though, but I had it played against me a fair amount and there is some decent synergy with AW (land destruction) and CW (great stalling potential).

I play both with a regular partner and with randoms all the time.  A large number of random pairings are a chore with any deck since you'll frequently be in what is effectively a 2 on 1 situation.  But I actually enjoy being in that situation - winning is much tougher but also more rewarding when it happens.  Although I'll agree partly with you - if you want better odds playing 2HG with a random partner, you should pick one of the best decks in the game like CW or OD instead of one of the deck pack decks.  But if random partners bother you so much, why play with them at all?  

Well, if the goal is to always win playing the most competitive deck possible then 3 of the 4 deck pack decks don't meet that goal.  But if that were my goal, I'd probably only play goblins anyway.  I find it pretty entertaining to play the less competitive decks - because they are still fairly competitive, and each one has a sufficiently distinct playstyle to keep it interesting.  It's not like we're talking about Dragon's Roar here.  You can still beat every other deck with Act of War even if it is slightly more difficult to do so.

Eh. I don't think AoW beats any 2013 decks any more than Dragon's Roar beat 2012 decks. IF you got a good draw and IF you construct the deck a certain way (admittedly somewhat easy, because there's so many terrible cards that the chaff is generally blatant) and IF your opponent gets an average or worse draw or misplays, you could maybe win. Part of the problem being they even used Radiance in the first place. That entire mechanic was a ridiculous mistake. The fact that they then proceeded to stick you with creatures ranging from "meh" to "WTH?" is a headscratcher.

Combine this with their apparent need to make your removal options absolutely horrible compared to any other Red OR White deck (much less one that's both) and almost zero burn to the dome in a deck almost entirely bereft of playable fliers and you have the makings of a deck that looks like a Sealed pile amidst a number of draft decks. Honestly the most wins I've seen out of AoW are when they've got a Green partner to pop Rancor on Boros Swiftblade or similar games.

a) Complete lies.
b) I thought you stopped playing, so how would you know anyway?
c) Wiggles hates the game and only posts negative and often (as in this case) invented comments to persue his weird agenda.

The only game mode that is still going strong is 2HG. 1v1 is easy to find a game but it's always the usual suspects and facing the same decks over and over. 3 player 4 player and planechase have been completely abandoned. How exactly am I lying? 

I have mostly stopped playing, still fire it up once or twice a month. I caved and bought the 2nd deck pack and then immediately regretted. BR is horrible and not fun to play in any way shape or form. GP is good but I personally don't think its very interesting. 

Dont hate the game, I actually think it's brilliant. I just hate the poor implementation by Stainless/Wizards and resent that they seem content with putting out a buggy subpar product.
I've always been confused by the fascination with 2HG. It seems everybody plays it as the main mode except me. I can't stand it, so I never even consider it when I'm talking about the quality of a deck.

This sounds...I dunno, wrong? Reads to me like "I also have really grown to like all the students in my special education class. They aren't the smartest kids necessarily, but each one is sufficiently unique and rewarding to teach."

I'm probably just deeply disturbed. Don't mind me. 

Yeah, that's a pretty terrible analogy. Then again, I love kids and teaching.

Back on topic, I have grown to like Act of War, and it's one of my (10ish) favorite decks to play. SaS on the other hand, is the only deck in DotP 2013 that I enjoyed less and less the more I played it. My opinion of BR was slightly improved after playing it, but that doesn't really say much, the deck is still meh. GP is a deck I really enjoyed, probably because it has a lot of my favorite W/B cards that I use in my irl W/B deck.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Well, the point wasn't so much about kids or education so much as that it had the same general sound of talking up something to be a little better than it actually is. Heck, I like AoW a little, but I like it as a challenge - I even tried a control build but that didn't pan out so well. The tools are - from a very technical standpoint - there, but there's so few of them you'd pretty much have to stack your deck in order to see the number you'd need to every game. Combine this with your "draw" being limited to a very narrowly applicable cantrip, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

As aggro, it runs fine alongside Goblins (I speak 2HG, because I can't see in a duel why you wouldn't just use Goblins, except for fun/variety) because it has a couple of gobbos of its own, although it suffers some if either opponent is playing Red, since now they benefit from your Rallies, and if you're running Brightflame, you're risking nuking you and your partner's critters.

Yeah, it's fun. Yes, it can win games. But it's not GOOD, at least not consistently. Usually it, SaS, ED, and BR are decks I run if my partner and I have beaten someone already and we're trying to ease up on them.

Eh. I don't think AoW beats any 2013 decks any more than Dragon's Roar beat 2012 decks. IF you got a good draw and IF you construct the deck a certain way (admittedly somewhat easy, because there's so many terrible cards that the chaff is generally blatant) and IF your opponent gets an average or worse draw or misplays, you could maybe win. Part of the problem being they even used Radiance in the first place. That entire mechanic was a ridiculous mistake. The fact that they then proceeded to stick you with creatures ranging from "meh" to "WTH?" is a headscratcher.

Combine this with their apparent need to make your removal options absolutely horrible compared to any other Red OR White deck (much less one that's both) and almost zero burn to the dome in a deck almost entirely bereft of playable fliers and you have the makings of a deck that looks like a Sealed pile amidst a number of draft decks. Honestly the most wins I've seen out of AoW are when they've got a Green partner to pop Rancor on Boros Swiftblade or similar games.

My experience has been somewhat different.  I couldn't win with Dragon's Roar without a fair amount of luck or a bad opponent; I can win, consistently, with Act of War.  I don't like an aggro build for it in 1v1 (but it is great in 2HG with certain pairings) but a more control oriented build has been fairly successful for me.   I don't deny that it is harder to win with than most other decks but it is certainly nowhere near as difficult as Dragon's Roar.  I don't really disagree with much of your criticism of the deck either; you make a lot of valid points about it.  I just don't think your ultimate conclusion about the deck has been true for me.  It's a fun deck, and it's usually competitive, even if it's more challenging than others.
Not my intention to start any kind of disagreement or rehash any bads here, but...
It's pretty much an irrefutable fact that the Core/Expansion decks are strictly better than the Deck pack decks because the Promo Unlocks are seriously powerful additions.

I imagine almost every player's decklist/s for the decks that have them includes 3 or more of those cards and every other decklist has at least 1.
If the deckpack decks had 10 more cards that featured several auto-includes, I don't think we'd see as many people questioning those decks as viable contenders. We probably wouldn't see any in fact.

Just saying.
The problem is that even now you STILL probably wouldn't have all those promo unlocks. Having a few promo unlocks doesn't make them overpowered, it just filled in the gaps. What made them overpowered was having all 10 promo unlocks pretty much out of the gate.

I agree that they should have probably compensated for the leak by bringing up the power of the deck packs a smidge, but I have the feeling they already had them done at that point and didn't want to be bothered going back and fixing them. I feel like the final promo unlocks were meant to be the "Beknighted" of 2013, if you will, only instead of it happening at the end of the game's life cycle, it happened while it was still getting off the ground. 
I fail to understand how anyone can't see GP as one of the best decks in the game.
I know I defend the deck alot and I wonder how people are trying to play it where it should be in the top of everyone's thoughts.
Yes, the rest of the dlc's are lame. I don't even touch AoW or BR and rarely play SaS, but Grim....
All it needs is one more Liege and it would, hands down, be the best deck in the game.... Imho.
Btw God, I did notice your post on liking the deck.
Question.
How many of the decks can you play in all formats without changing the cut and have great
I know one

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

The game's definitely not dead lol

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

I fail to understand how anyone can't see GP as one of the best decks in the game. I know I defend the deck alot and I wonder how people are trying to play it where it should be in the top of everyone's thoughts. Yes, the rest of the dlc's are lame. I don't even touch AoW or BR and rarely play SaS, but Grim.... All it needs is one more Liege and it would, hands down, be the best deck in the game.... Imho. Btw God, I did notice your post on liking the deck. Question. How many of the decks can you play in all formats without changing the cut and have great I know one

Or instead of one more liege maybe just replace the 4x unmake  with 4x vindicate  instead and WOW! The added targets for reanimate and Nell would be awesome but more importantly would give this deck reliable enchantment and artifact removal. It could even now jump into some land denial!

Edit: I would replace the 4x pillories instead of the unmakes tbh I dont run any of them anyway 
When dj_btrue enters the forum exile all bad attitudes.
Never dj!
Pillory wins games, period.
Would never give them up.
You can't make me.

Show

what about trading 2 of them for 2 vindicates????  Hmmmmm???  you know you hate that mirror! Wink
The problem is that even now you STILL probably wouldn't have all those promo unlocks. Having a few promo unlocks doesn't make them overpowered, it just filled in the gaps. What made them overpowered was having all 10 promo unlocks pretty much out of the gate.

I agree that they should have probably compensated for the leak by bringing up the power of the deck packs a smidge, but I have the feeling they already had them done at that point and didn't want to be bothered going back and fixing them. I feel like the final promo unlocks were meant to be the "Beknighted" of 2013, if you will, only instead of it happening at the end of the game's life cycle, it happened while it was still getting off the ground. 

As I understood, the decks were ALL made/tested/balanced (all 21 of them), and the Promo cards were added afterward, but only added to the decks that would be out while the Promotion was in progress.
Meaning the tenth and final promo card would have been released before the deck packs were. It was an admitted mistake on the part of the developers to not have promo cards for the final decks.

So yeah, in essence, the decks were all made equally, then the Core and Expansion decks were greatly enhanced.
I'm not of the opinion that the deck pack decks are bad... But they are clearly not as good as they should be (and would have been if the devs added promo unlocks to them the same time as they were added to others).

How many of the decks can you play in all formats without changing the cut and have great I know one

Can't really answer personally, since I only play 2HG, but I listen to discussions about duels enough to have surmised that GG and SS are pretty much on their own tier - other decks can potentially compete, but usually struggle - and that DP is on its own tier for the opposite reasons. I can imagine that OD and SS are probably the best FFA decks, along with CL, since they have a lot of tools for giving themselves advantages against multiple players. At a guess, I'd think OD, SS, and GP could probably use the same build for all formats, excepting maybe no Exsanguinate in OD for duels. GM/CL/BoF might only need slight changes - or none.

Regarding GP's removal suite; I've gotten to running the 4 Unmake but only two Pillory of the Sleepless...and all three ZPs. I find I rarely wish I had more pillories; a lot of the creatures I want off the board are like Captain of the Watch, Griselbrand, or Bloodgift Demon, where Pillory won't stop their annoying bits. Unmake has been stellar, not just at that, but if I see AS throw Indestructibility on anything NOT Hexproof, I can make them regret it big time.

How many of the decks can you play in all formats without changing the cut and have great I know one

Can't really answer personally, since I only play 2HG, but I listen to discussions about duels enough to have surmised that GG and SS are pretty much on their own tier - other decks can potentially compete, but usually struggle - and that DP is on its own tier for the opposite reasons. I can imagine that OD and SS are probably the best FFA decks, along with CL, since they have a lot of tools for giving themselves advantages against multiple players. At a guess, I'd think OD, SS, and GP could probably use the same build for all formats, excepting maybe no Exsanguinate in OD for duels. GM/CL/BoF might only need slight changes - or none.

Regarding GP's removal suite; I've gotten to running the 4 Unmake but only two Pillory of the Sleepless...and all three ZPs. I find I rarely wish I had more pillories; a lot of the creatures I want off the board are like Captain of the Watch, Griselbrand, or Bloodgift Demon, where Pillory won't stop their annoying bits. Unmake has been stellar, not just at that, but if I see AS throw Indestructibility on anything NOT Hexproof, I can make them regret it big time.

I dont run any Pillorys for the same reasons you mentioned. In a 1v1 build with lower life totals and a more rush oriented build they could shine though.
Dj, we should play a few games tonight. I'll run my GP.

Show

Dj, we should play a few games tonight. I'll run my GP.

I would love too. Unfortunately Friday nights normally consist of family fun night with the kids followed by many captain and cokes and then usually some sex!
But I will definately take a rain check.

Edit: unfortunately- regaurding plans to play magic not the time spent with the familyInnocent
Understood.

Show

Never dj! Pillory wins games, period. Would never give them up. You can't make me.

Was just playing 2hg and my partner and I had won 5 games in a row against the same 2 guys, one of which is my friend. So i decide to pick a weak deck to fool around and basicly give them the win. I went with BR. After a few turns I have a leige out and a feral animist  and my partner and I are winning again. My friend on the other side decides to put a pillory of the sleepless  on my animist to prevent him from beating his face in any further.  Next turn I pump the animist once then berserk  then fling. Game over. If that pillory had been a vindicate  or an unmake  it would have been a very different game. So yes the pillorys do win games.......... for the other team!Wink

P.S. sarcasm doesn't translate well here so i'll just say i'm just having a little fun now. It is a good card but can have disasterous draw backs.
I don' think any one is advocating using pillory of the sleepless instead of unmake or vindicate
 I think its just too good of a card not to use it in addition to them
I stopped running the Pillory's probably like 2 days after the deck came out and I don't miss them at all, in 2HG anyway, there are much better options.
I don' think any one is advocating using pillory of the sleepless instead of unmake or vindicate
 I think its just too good of a card not to use it in addition to them

You have to draw the line on removeal somewhere right? Like I said its a good card just didn't make the build, for me anyway.
I stopped running the Pillory's probably like 2 days after the deck came out and I don't miss them at all, in 2HG anyway, there are much better options.

This is my experience as well.