What I miss about MTGO

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
The one thing I miss the most about MTGO is the "tables" with avatars that used to be present in the old version. It gave a "friendlier" atmosphere to game-playing and seemed easier to join than clicking on an information line and then picking the deck and hoping somebody else didn't beat you to it. I suspect the new version of joining a game was selected because it allows more players to play and gives a better view of what kind of game (standard, extended, etc) is being played, but joining a game has become as much of a challenge as actually PLAYING the game. The list jumps around like crazy making it a "hit and miss" to actually join the game you want to play in.
Are you saying that 'sitting down' was how you joined the game, and not 'picking a deck'?
Obviously in V3 picking the deck is how you join the game, and you can be beaten by faster clickers.
I can imagine they might have removed sitting down to avoid griefers sitting down then never picking a deck. 
Are you saying that 'sitting down' was how you joined the game, and not 'picking a deck'?
Obviously in V3 picking the deck is how you join the game, and you can be beaten by faster clickers.
I can imagine they might have removed sitting down to avoid griefers sitting down then never picking a deck. 

Yep, you looked for tables where only one person was sitting and clicked on them. You had already chosen what deck to use BEFORE sitting down. You couldn't "sit down" and not pick a deck. Didn't work that way. 
That was V2(.5?). We're almost at the quality level of the client we used 8 years ago, hurrah ! :P
Honestly I thought it was cute but not really functional. You were looking for an empty spot around the room which refreshed like every 15 seconds, clicked on a seat and waited for the error that said No seats available. The only reason I liked that feature was because the avatar cards actually had an isometric image attached to them, and you just looked badass sitting there with your 30 dollar demon in the middle of the room. 

The current list isn't good either though. It should be easier to find a game you want to be in than it actually is.
That was V2(.5?). We're almost at the quality level of the client we used 8 years ago, hurrah ! :P
Honestly I thought it was cute but not really functional. You were looking for an empty spot around the room which refreshed like every 15 seconds, clicked on a seat and waited for the error that said No seats available. The only reason I liked that feature was because the avatar cards actually had an isometric image attached to them, and you just looked badass sitting there with your 30 dollar demon in the middle of the room. 

The current list isn't good either though. It should be easier to find a game you want to be in than it actually is.

Yes, that's the version. I never had a problem with it, and yeah, the avatar sitting at the table was VERY Cool. I am getting the same errors with the current client and I don't see any improvement on the old. What would be nice is if they offered a choice of views...the old one with tables or the new one with the list. But make both of them more accurate as far as if the game has started or not.
Try the beta client.  It doesn't have visible tables, but it does elmiminate the list which jumps around constantly (and yes, is therefore super-annoying).  
Yes, that's the version. I never had a problem with it, and yeah, the avatar sitting at the table was VERY Cool. I am getting the same errors with the current client and I don't see any improvement on the old. What would be nice is if they offered a choice of views...the old one with tables or the new one with the list. But make both of them more accurate as far as if the game has started or not.

I honestly can't think of any single piece of the old client that I'd like to have back LEAST.

Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
Try the beta client.  It doesn't have visible tables, but it does elmiminate the list which jumps around constantly (and yes, is therefore super-annoying).  

Where do I get the beta client? I'm tired of playing hopscotch-on-the-list with this current version

Where do I get the beta client? I'm tired of playing hopscotch-on-the-list with this current version

Here.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

Do I have to delete the non-beta client or will it install over it?

You can have them installed side-by-side and switch back and forth. 

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

Well I installed the Beta. How do I uninstall it?  Not crazy about it at all. Frown

Well I installed the Beta. How do I uninstall it?  Not crazy about it at all. Frown

What happened when you tried the same methods you use for uninstalling other programs?

This space intentionally left blank.

What happened when you tried the same methods you use for uninstalling other programs?

Can't. There is no uninstall for the beta version. I can't even find where it is located on the hard drive. No shortcut installed either. It starts by clicking on the setup.exe.
My path for the .exe file is as follows: F:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\C56E8DGO.K3T\5WACE1DZ.RDC\mtgo..tion_1ad988e60282d0d8_0003.0004_117e0b127f8fd99a\MTGO.exe

I'm using Windows XP.  Your path will be different, possibly a lot different if you're using Windows Vista or 7.  If you really, really need to find it you can use Process Explorer by Sysinternals.

It's worth repeating there is no need to uninstall the Beta, just don't use it.

This space intentionally left blank.

My path for the .exe file is as follows: F:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Apps.0\C56E8DGO.K3TWACE1DZ.RDC\mtgo..tion_1ad988e60282d0d8_0003.0004_117e0b127f8fd99a\MTGO.exe

I'm using Windows XP.  Your path will be different, possibly a lot different if you're using Windows Vista or 7.  If you really, really need to find it you can use Process Explorer by Sysinternals.

It's worth repeating there is no need to uninstall the Beta, just don't use it.

Ack. I am using Vista and it's a different location. I'll just not use it. Thanks anyway. Laughing 

Start Menu --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Programs and Features

Select "Magic the Gathering Online" and click "Uninstall/Change"

Should be pretty self explanatory from there. 
Mountain bikes are for slow people, and geckos are far better pets than cats & dogs! :D Officially licensed user of the term "GrammarChaos" (Thanks Tempesteye!) MPDC Season 3 Champion

I honestly can't think of any single piece of the old client that I'd like to have back LEAST.

Did you mean "less" or are you really saying, in a convoluted way, that you dislike every part of the old client in equal measure?
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.

Did you mean "less" or are you really saying, in a convoluted way, that you dislike every part of the old client in equal measure?

Yeah that sentence got hacked, didn't it?  I meant less.    The table view was a nightmare, not only because of the stupid incessant clapping that came with it, but because it served virtually no purpose in finding a game. The filters in the Beta are far superior.  I don't even have a problem in the current version, but playing classic means the sorting top-down works well for me - but I understand that's not the case for the majority.

I would support something in the vein of that view once the game has already been joined - like in the game start screen.  That would be fine. 

Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)

Yep, found both versions and uninstalled the beta using that method last nightLaughing.
Geez I hope they DON'T adopt the beta version as the standard version. That think looks TERRIBLE and is a LOT clumsier to use than anything they have made so far. 

Yep, found both versions and uninstalled the beta using that method last nightLaughing.
Geez I hope they DON'T adopt the beta version as the standard version. That think looks TERRIBLE and is a LOT clumsier to use than anything they have made so far. 

It eventually will become the standard client. I'm not sure how much you used the Wide Beta, but if you can put some specific feedback into words, please check out the feedback threads or fill out the form found HERE. It all reaches the design team working on the new client, so feel free to explain your thoughts in detail.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

It eventually will become the standard client. I'm not sure how much you used the Wide Beta, but if you can put some specific feedback into words, please check out the feedback threads or fill out the form found HERE. It all reaches the design team working on the new client, so feel free to explain your thoughts in detail.

Can't really do that. I already uninstalled it and I don't know what the build number was. In very basic terms I found it to NOT be very intuitive. At least, not as intuitive as the current version or Version 2. I found myself clicking on stuff all over the place just to get my decks imported.
Okay, I did make a post at the feedback threads about my experience with the beta version. Not that I think anyone will pay attention to it. Tongue Out

Can't really do that. I already uninstalled it and I don't know what the build number was. In very basic terms I found it to NOT be very intuitive. At least, not as intuitive as the current version or Version 2. I found myself clicking on stuff all over the place just to get my decks imported.

If it helps, the most recent build number is 3.4.71.266

Intuition can be hard to gauge between different players. If someone has used the current client for years, they expect buttons to be in certain places simply due to habit and familiarity. Those kinds of hurdles can make any transition uncomfortable. A new player might have completely different expectations depending on what other games they're used to playing.

I'm only pointing this out because it's one of the reasons the MTGO team wants as much detail as possible in feedback. The goal is to find a happy medium everyone can enjoy using. 

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

If it helps, the most recent build number is 3.4.71.266

Intuition can be hard to gauge between different players. If someone has used the current client for years, they expect buttons to be in certain places simply due to habit and familiarity. Those kinds of hurdles can make any transition uncomfortable. A new player might have completely different expectations depending on what other games they're used to playing.

I'm only pointing this out because it's one of the reasons the MTGO team wants as much detail as possible in feedback. The goal is to find a happy medium everyone can enjoy using. 

-------------------------------------------------------

I understand what you are saying. But that attitude will end up LOSING the regular players that have been around for a while in favor of newbs. Not sure that is what MTGO wants to do, but you never know. They certainly lost a LOT of old timers with this current version.

At any rate, you already know how I feel about the current and future versions from my first post.   Wink
I'm a regular player that has been around since the beginning (of both paper and online). I use the new client most of the time. It gets noticably better with each update. The Open Beta crushes V3 for drafting. Its not perfect and sometimes a bug forces me to switch, but its my default preference.

Yeah that sentence got hacked, didn't it?  I meant less.    The table view was a nightmare, not only because of the stupid incessant clapping that came with it, but because it served virtually no purpose in finding a game.

There was an option to turn that sound off.

And yes, it wasn't a very good way to find a game, but there was something about it that made it feel more like...Magic. More like a card game.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/50738226/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I liked the clapping.  And the death animations for your avatars.  I also like the beta version more than V3 - but it's been too long since 2.5 for me to be able to compare things with it.
I continue to be baffled by the people who actually like the hunt-and-click-a-table method of finding a game.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I continue to be baffled by the people who actually like the hunt-and-click-a-table method of finding a game.

As opposed to scrolling down a list that is jumping all over the place? Frown

Well, you didn't have to use it to find the game.  And IIRC, if you were drafting or something, the tables would all be in the upper left, so you didn't have to hunt at all.

Once again, it's not about finding games in that view. It's about a feeling of beingin a store or at a tournament site.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/50738226/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Back when avatars got decorations depending on your rating, if you wanted to watch someone good play, the table view was an easy way to find them (provided the game was watchable).
bradleyforrest and pcjr: Excellent points!
Back when avatars got decorations depending on your rating, if you wanted to watch someone good play, the table view was an easy way to find them (provided the game was watchable).

Which of course under the current policy means no such thing will ever happen again.

Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)

Which of course under the current policy means no such thing will ever happen again.

True Frown

Sure, nothing ratings-based will ever happen again, but that doesn't mean that your avatar couldn't get decorations based on something else. Eventually we should have the online-equivalent to Planeswalker Points.

I don't actually hold much hope for avatar decorations, I don't see WotC investing the resources into setting this up and maintaining it.

With all due respect...how could you possibly have given it a fair assessment or provide any serious feedback based on the <28 minutes between when you asked whether you could install it next to the live client and when you said you posted saying you didn't like it and were uninstalling?  I realize they asked for feedback from players new to the game, but really, <28 minutes of use (probably somewhat less in fact, by the time you finished the install) and you are going to give feedback?

The beta client took some time to get used to, and only with the newest builds do I think i could use it full-time with a little more tweaking (or lot more in the case of things like multiplayer) - but it continues to improve and is very usable, with quite a few advantages now over the existing client IMHO.  

With all due respect...how could you possibly have given it a fair assessment or provide any serious feedback based on the <28 minutes="" between="" when="" you="" asked="" whether="" could="" install="" it="" next="" to="" the="" live="" client="" and="" said="" posted="" saying="" didn="" t="" like="" were="" uninstalling="" i="" realize="" they="" for="" feedback="" from="" players="" new="" game="" but="" really="" 28="" of="" use="" probably="" somewhat="" less="" in="" fact="" by="" time="" finished="" are="" going="" give="" br="">
The beta client took some time to get used to, and only with the newest builds do I think i could use it full-time with a little more tweaking (or lot more in the case of things like multiplayer) - but it continues to improve and is very usable, with quite a few advantages now over the existing client IMHO.  

It getting better is a matter of opinion. If you read my first post you would see that I prefer MTGO Version 2 or 2.5. I'm not happy with any version they made after that. The beta is so convoluted folks are gonna need an instruction manual to use it at all. At least the current version was fairly intuitive as far as how to use it. When I start MTGO I want to start playing the game...not trying to figure out HOW to play the game.
BTW...I was surprised to see more than a few people in the sidebar chat section today asking for a return to the tables of 2.5. So I am not alone in this opinion.
BTW...I was surprised to see more than a few people in the sidebar chat section today asking for a return to the tables of 2.5. So I am not alone in this opinion.

Nobody thinks you're alone in that opinion.   But as with a lot of newer posters on the fourms, with time you'll come to learn that with a program like MTGO and a company like WoTC, you can ask for a lot of things that you'll probably never get, and usually for a good/not-good-but-reasonable reason.

Right now, that reason would be that WoTC has to get the core game functionality up and running before taking on what I would deem a very, very low priority and time-consuming feature.  It's seriously the bottom of a long, lengthy list of requests (made by people on this forum, with many people who'd agree they'd want it too in the client), almost every single one of which provide a lot more experience for the time involved.
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)