I can't seem to make a deck without it going past 60 cards! Help!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Any help would be appreciated.

I am trying to make a Discard/Draw deck with a few creatures too.
Blue/Black with artifacts.

Ideal is to use Underworld Dreams + Any number of cards to force an opponent or myself to draw.
x4 Howling Mine and x4 Psychosis Crawler with Spellbook

Ideal is to use Megrim/Liliana's Curess + any number of cards to force an opponent to discard.

Using Liliana Vess + Jace Beleren as my planeswalkers.

My main issue is being able to do all this without overdoing it while also protecting my Crawlers. Common/Uncommon/Rare card ideas past 8th edition is welcome.

So far my deck has 75 cards and my friends only play with 60 with a minimum of 5 extra cards that must be because of land. 

this deck is for fun and it isn't based to be superb. I play with mediocre players (well there are 3 in another group that aren't so mediocre) but this deck is more of a lesson to myself. I work really well with monocolored deck creation but I really suck when it comes to multicolored decks because of the mana requirements. I only own 2 Evolving Winds so I can't base a deck on land search.

The fact is that when you are above 60 cards there is always something to take out.

Even if you have a deck composed of 64 AMAZING cards, 4 of those cards are going to be the worst of the bunch, be it in power level, necessary quantity, or functionality.

Playing 60 on the nose is something that should be practiced religiously. It is one statistical advantage that everyone can take, and not employing it would be like running a marathon in cleats. It seems silly that 1 additional card can affect your game that much, but in a game of variance, mastering that variance is a potent skill to have.

This is also linked to why you see decks with non-4 quantities of cards. That isn't an arbitrary decision, but because the quantity of cards gives you odds of drawing it near to the odds that you will need it.

Hope this helps!

A typical   trying to get somewhere in the Multiverse, allons-y?

DOCTOR WHO OOOOOOOOEEOOOOOOOO OOOOOOEEOOOOOOO (I'm weird, cant help it)

Famous Quotes:

144543765 wrote:
I was browsing through some cards in gatherer and I noticed something really odd - the transforming cards from Innistrad like Mayor of Avabruck have separate comments and ratings for each side. Isn't that totally stupid? It feels as senseless as having two different pages for each side of a split card or having different pages for Nimble Mongoose with and without threshold.

56965528 wrote:
*mutters under his breath* Squinty's Wife: "What was that!?!?" Umm, I said.... umm..... ahhh.... *another smack upside the head* Squinty's Wife: "Care to try again?" *shakes head vigerously* Squinty's Wife: "That's better." ~SE++ *whimpering*

Current deck goals:

NON-AGGRO, NON-MONO RED deck (Not getting very far with it though)

Standard mono red deck for FNM next Friday

A two colored deck that runs Underworld Dreams simply needs some form of color fixing, preferably as lands. So more Terramorphic Expanse/Evolving Wilds may be a start, as well as the upcoming Dimir Guildgate or variants of that sort of land. Cards like Underground River, Dreadship Reef, even Transguild Promenade etc. Or artifacts like Mistvein Borderpost. Some sort of mana filter wouldn't be that bad either, like Manaforge Cinder. Some copies of Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth would also help greatly.

You might want to use cards that can force an opponent to draw and discard or that have another use. Im thinking along the lines of Wistful Thinking, Consult the Necrosages, Careful Consideration, ... You do want your discard spells to be able to further your game even if the opponent doesn't have cards in hand.

Your Spellbooks should be Reliquary Towers. you could also use Minamo Scrollkeeper and such. But ask yourself first, if you actually need that kind of effect. If the answer is just a "maybe" or "sometimes", that's an easy cut.

As for the 60 card deck issue, I have been playing for over 10 years now and was rigorously trying to keep my decks at 60. Took me years (literally) to get my decks close to it. I still don't wholeheartedly agree that 60 is always the best number. At least not in Casual, when you don't use sideboards. In my opinion, there is often more benefit in running 61 or even 62 cards in such an environment. As long as you don't exceed that number (62) there shouldn't be a notable difference, if the cards themselves are actually worth playing in the deck. When you need to add more lands because of it, though, that's when you should make cuts.
Actually, on the topic of deck quantity, you can go a little over 60 depending on your deck makeup - but until you're more experienced with construction, sticking to 60 is the safest route. I think the highest I've seen a high level Magic player go to was about 67; I personally have no qualms going to 61 if it lets me fine tune the land:nonland ratio to a point closer to what I want.

On the topic of your actual deck though, Jace's Archivist would be a card to look at including - both involves discard and draw, and can give you a lot of card advantage if you've got less cards than your opponent (though if you're forcing them to discard often that won't be likely). I wouldn't recommend Spellbook as it's an artifact that often does nothing (if you're actually using your cards as you should); if you really want the "no maximum hand size" effect then Reliquary Tower is the way to go.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
As with all successful relationships, sacrifice is necessary.

It'd help us immensely if you could post/link your decklist ;] 
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
underworld dreams and megrim are 2 different strategies. remove 1 or make a deck for each and you'll find it easier.
rawsugar

That's what I was guessing. Probably will have to completely obliterate my draw components and just make a discard deck with some mill effects or just discard alone. Because Megrim/Liliana's Curess is 8 cards that does the same effect. I also have Hissing Miasma for one of my friend's zoo decks which is in the sideboard. While I have roughly 3.2k cards, my blue is lacking. I guess if I took out Drawing effects, I could rid myself of 10 cards. Out of 75 that's in the deck, it would take me to 65 max. Spellbook was already removed to be replaced with Reliquary Tower before the mention, but thanks I was iffy on using it at first because some of my friends have Trailblazer's Boots. I do have Mistvein Borderpost and I do have Jace's Archivist in my previous idea of a deck with Forced Fruition...but now that I am moving towards a discard-only deck, who knows if I will even use Blue but if I will, It may be for just creatures that are BU.

Tidehollow Strix/Vedalken Ghoul -- My whole secondary plan was to force blocking with Deadly Allure and attach effect to Vedalken Ghoul. Thus killing a creature AND makes the opponent lose 4 life in the process. You guys have been helpful. My other BU was going to be my Perplex and Countersquall for countering.

My other creatures:
Phyrexian Walker (for free creatures I can place out for nothing)
Diregraf Ghoul
Tormented Soul
Fog Bank
Nether Traitor
Thrummingbird (for my planeswalker(s))
Jace's Archivist

Spells:
Clockspinning (for my planeswalker(s))
Deadly Allure (for my Vedalken Ghouls)
Elixir of Immortality (only 2 but 1 is on sideboard because my friends use mill decks as well)
Robe of Mirrors (for my Archivist)
Suffer the Past (for graveyard damage)
Countersquall
Vanguard's Shield (for Fog Bank)
Mask of Avacyn
Isolation Cell
Perplex
Horrifying Revelation
Megrim
Liliana's Curess
Mind Rot
Mental Agony

Sideboard has plenty but one 2 are always reserved for Witchbane Orb (against millers and red damage dealers...friends also love Curse cards. haha

... I know, that's a lot of cards to fit in and I am going to shave off a pound. haha My other plan was to force opponent to have a maximum handsize of 0 so that no matter how many cards he/she draws, they have to discard all of them or play all of them (which Isolation Cell would have worked well against some.) 

My draw deck that I had to remove now had Forced Fruition, Howling Mine, Font of Mythos, Otherworld Atlas, and Wheel and Deal 

Thanks again for the heads up. Private messages are welcome.
This should help:

[deck=Example Autocarded Decklist]
//Creatures
4 Tarmogoyf

//Other Spells
4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will

//Land
48 Island
[/deck]

=

Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
what you want with megrim isnt mill (not discard) but spells that force opponent to draw and then discard

the best way to do  that is branch out to blue for cards like wistful thinking or red for burning inquiry. in either version you want dream salvage to keep your hand full, maybe 1 or 2 geth's grimoire

red is faster and has each player efffects for mulitplayer, blue has nice options too though.
Sign In to post comments