[GTC-ICD] Angel Skirmisher

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
Angelic Skirmisher
Creature - Angel (R)
At the beginning of each combat, choose first strike, vigilance or lifelink.
Creatures you control gain the chosen ability until end of turn.
"A sharp mind leads an army like a skilled hand leads a sword."
4/4

Thanks to MTGSalvation for this information.

Discuss.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Options are always a good thing.
6 for a 4/4 flying and awesome options! 

too bad 2W make it almost unsplashable 
You forgot to type "flying" in the rules text.
I play for fun
Nice. If they don't have worthwhile blockers, you can always use Vigilance on your turn and First strike on theirs.

Edit: And with Aurelia, you can choose First strike for your first combat, Vigilance for your second, and then First strike on theirs.
I think the proper source for this card is magicextreme.de
holy crap, it triggers on each combat!
I play for fun
Oh cool! Great angel.
Not constructed playable, but cool design!

The flavor text looks weird to me, is putting quotation marks reversed like that a thing in German?

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
The flavor text look weird to me, is putting quotation marks reversed like that a thing in German?

Yes.
Ok, I'm going Orzhov. and are getting all the best cards!
My novel, Mektar, Clash of Ideals, is now available for purchase! Just click this text. I have +30 bragging rights according to HairlessThoctar. Just saying.
Could be fun in EDH, say with tokens.

<----- Loser.

Wait, do you NOT need to attack with it to trigger the ability?  Just "at the beginning of each combat?" If so, this is considerably better than I initially thought, because you can use it the turn you play it.  Kinda like Battlegrace Angel except it triggers on defence as well.

Battlegrace Angel was constructed playable, but it also cost 5, not 6.... 

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

This ability is better than an attack trigger because it merely requires you to begin the combat phase (it all occurs before attackers or blockers are declared) which makes it fairly unique. Neat stuff.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
This should be another fun casual card.  Might be good in edh as well.
This costs five, with Defy Death it even gets much stronger.

It's ability to win, alongside Boros token generating ability, will likely make it playable. Stronger than the forge captain, for sure - it makes it virtually obsolete as your 'big' creature, besides Aurelia, of course. 
6cmc is rough. It almost has an immediate impact and does require an answer. It is under Selesnya charm radar but dies to ultamite price. Hmmm GILBIC
This costs five six, with Defy Death it even gets much stronger.

It's ability to win, alongside Boros token generating ability, will likely make it playable. Stronger than the forge captain, for sure - it makes it virtually obsolete as your 'big' creature, besides Aurelia, of course. 

Boros generates tokens? Wut?
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
I'm aware of the cards that generate tokens in standard, but this is not a Boros 'thing' and an emphasis on tokens hasn't been revealed for Boros yet. Attacking with numbers is their schtick, which does benefit from token generators from a pretty token heavy block (Innistrad), but that doesn't mean Boros itself has good token generating capabilties. All we've seen so far is the CSI card which is loosly associated with the Boros guild.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
I'm aware of the cards that generate tokens in standard, but this is not a Boros 'thing' and an emphasis on tokens hasn't been revealed for Boros yet. Attacking with numbers is their schtick, which does benefit from token generators from a pretty token heavy block (Innistrad), but that doesn't mean Boros itself has good token generating capabilties. All we've seen so far is the CSI card which is loosly associated with the Boros guild.

Most people play Standard, not block constructed, and I assure you that no matter what cards gatecrash brings, the core of the (rather competitive) RW humans deck will remain Innistrad.

What actually saddens me is that they didn't put Ash Zealot in Gatecrash and made it a boros card (watermark). It would have just felt so right... 

Considering how awesome simic guildmage is in the evolve context, i doubt teh boros guildmage will not generate a token somehow.
I play for fun
This looks like a possible token generator:

And we've seen a 1/1 red and white Soldier token.

This looks like a possible token generator:

And we've seen a 1/1 red and white Soldier token.

Can't argue with that.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Hooray unbeatable limited card!
seems pretty good actually.
Top of the curve with a mid-range build perhaps? This seems deceptively good, and will probably see play. Heck, this card works even in G/W of sorts (option of 1st strike, vigilance, or lifelink is absurd and can change a game around nicely).
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
As said earlier this looks to be great for EDH, especially for Aggro decks.
Because Thragtusk needs First strike or Lifelink.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Seems like a game win in Limited. Possible for Constructed, but hard to say.
I was originally going full Dimir, then Bros got spoiled. I'm going both now.
http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20802.jpg
Now this is how Battalion should be static without, evolving the enabler...
This is going to be AWESOME with the guildleader, who gives extra combat phases on your turn XD
One of the coolest angel arts imo.
I am Blue/Black
Hooray unbeatable limited card!

This is probably pretty accurate. The card  is a good way to help Boros or any token deck keep field advantage so it will probably see play somewhere.
I so want one of these in my pre-release pack
This angel makes racing situations almost impossible for your opponent.

If your opponent is on the backfoot you can send first strikers in. If your opponent is swarming you you can choose vigilance on your turn and life gain on theirs.

This might be much better than people give credit for. 
I can foresee a few free wins on Magic Online from people not having their stops set appropriately for this creature.

Cast this creature during your first main phase and click OK.  Your opponent probably has his stop set at Beginning of Combat, not First Main Phase.  So you get a trigger, even if your opponent has the Ultimate Price.

I can't count the number of times I got seven free cards from my second main phase cast or reanimated Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur.  The praetor got Doom Bladed quite often after the trigger was put on the stack, because the opponent had stops set in my end step, not my second main phase.
And this creature will definitely help your Battalion creatures survive.
This angel makes racing situations almost impossible for your opponent.

If your opponent is on the backfoot you can send first strikers in. If your opponent is swarming you you can choose vigilance on your turn and life gain on theirs.

This might be much better than people give credit for. 

Yeah, I think there's definitely potential here.  At 5 mana it would be an easy staple and probably format-defining just based on comparisons to Battlegrace Angel.  6 Mana, though...I dunno.  It's not just that the higher cost lowers the power level of the card; the kind of decks that run 6 mana creatures (even when 6 mana creatures are stupidly good) just plain tend to be the kind of decks that run fewer creatures in general.  And this card wants other creatures it can pump.

So...yeah, I dunno; the potential is there, but the jury's definitely out for me. 

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Definetly good card in the right deck.
Making it red too and having haste among those abilities would be sweet.