This Is A Contest: Card The Names #10 - Time

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is another contest. The rules are simple.
Choose one of the following names:

This contest will last for 24hrs or until 10 people enter. I will give considerations if it appears you have been ninja'd.

Now make a card to fit to fit the chosen name.
You will be judged on card quality and how well your card fits the name. Interpret the names however you want (even Un cards) but it has to make sense and the card design has to be able to stand on its own. Convince me that if your card were handed of to me in a design file I would choose the name you created it to match.

Today's Theme: Time as decided by FirstTurnKill
The Names:

• Slip Between Seconds

• Forever // Ever

• Accelerate the Sands

• Seize the Moment (so tempted to make it seize the momentum)

But wait... YOU COULD WIN FABULOUS PRIZES!1!1!
The winner chooses the theme for the next swet of names (try to keep it somewhat vague please) and I'll make up their card complete with art in MSE! WOW!

Alright, let's go!
I figured I should keep track of previous contests somewhere. May as well be here.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

1. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - No theme, won by Sebanovich

2. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - No theme, won by Jessica_Morgan

3. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Music theme, won by AzureShade

4. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Flightless Birds theme, won by SleetFox

5. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Science, won by Dudibus

6. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Evolution & Adages, won by Edacade

7. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Time, won by rabble527

8. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - No theme, won by 3-7-15-1-292

9. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Apostrophes, won by FirstTurnKill

Wait, did I miscount? Agh, this is only TIAC:CTN 9. Dagnabbit! It's too late to change the thread title! Nope I did not.

Many have come close but nobody's won two contests yet. TIAC:CTN is currently a 9 way tie.

Accelerate the Sands

Enchant Player

Enchanted Player skips their first
main phase each turn.

"There is a time to think, and a time
to act, and you have shown yourself
incapable of the first." 
Seize the Moment
Sorcery
The next time target player would begin his or her turn, instead that player skips that turn and you take an extra turn.
The next time you would begin your turn after that one, instead you skip that turn and that player takes an extra turn.
"Allow me to have a few moments of your time."
Rules Advisor
Forever
Instant
Exile target spell.
///
Ever
Sorcery
You may cast target exiled card without paying it's mana cost.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Seize the Moment
Instant

Split Second
Gain control of target nonsorcery noninstant spell.

Whatever you can't intercept in deployment, you must destroy later on. Don't let it get that far.
Slip Between Seconds 1GG
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent casts a spell on your turn, you may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield.
"One moment, they stop an otherworldly beast from entering this world. The next, they summon a storm to do their bidding. In between, I steal by." - Selmna, Elvish Magehunter

Blue isn't the only one who works with time.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
Seize the Moment
Instant

Split Second
Take control of target nonland permanent as it enters the battlefield.

Whatever you can't intercept in deployment, you must destroy later on. Don't let it get that far.

Esterdi, that doesn't work. You could take control of a creature that entered this turn, or take control on the stack, but not "as it enters".
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
Seize the Moment

Instant

Target player takes an extra phase of his or her choice after this one.

"Action is required."
—The Planeswalker Alliance Motto

The Planeswalker Alliance probably some kind of organisation built to bring down Bolas. Fairly self-explanatory flavour.
Seize the Moment
Instant

Split Second
Take control of target nonland permanent as it enters the battlefield.

Esterdi, that doesn't work. You could take control of a creature that entered this turn, or take control on the stack, but not "as it enters".

I am pretty sure you can, since "as it enters" simply means as it leaves the stack. Because the alternative is way too clunky:

"Target nonsorcery noninstant spell enters the battlefield under your control." 

Or even worse.

"Counter target noninstant nonsorcery spell. If you do, at end of turn, put a card with that name from a graveyard onto the battlefield." 
Slip Between Seconds
Instant
Split second
Counter target spell.
Draw a card.
"Give me a second to th-- I'm ready."
Esterdi, if you gain control of a permanent spell, it enters the battlefield under your control by default.
Rules Advisor
Esterdi, if you gain control of a permanent spell, it enters the battlefield under your control by default.

Was not aware that exists but...it's sure helpful.
Seize the Moment |
Instant (R)
You're the active player next phase.  (That phase is treated as though it is your turn.  No other players are the active player that phase.)
"The call to action can come at any time, my son.  When it does...you will know.  And you will take it with both hands."
--Krogen Dwârinsunr

A red version of Time Walk.  Ideally, this is actually balanced.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Seize the Moment |
Instant (R)
You're the active player next phase.  (That phase is treated as though it is your turn.  No other players are the active player that phase.)
"The call to action can come at any time, my son.  When it does...you will know.  And you will take it with both hands."
--Krogen Dwârinsunr

A red version of Time Walk.  Ideally, this is actually balanced.

I want to combine this with Maddening Imp. Laughing
Rules Advisor
Contest Closed. Grades probably tommorow.
Taramoor's Accelerate the Sands 9/10
Show
This is a really neat effect. I love it. I think the card is a little blue intensive though. Why not replace that third blue symbol with or ? It's usually best to wait until your second main phase to cast things anyway. The card's flavour lives up to the name and the flavour text helps push it over the top.

Fezzhead's Seize the Moment 8/10
Show
A very literal interpretation of "seizing the moment", moreso than I really thought possible. That's quie impressive flavourwise. The card's function is also quite innovative. I do feel like the effect is, mechanically at least, red. Red/blue maybe but I would like it more if it had red in it somewhere. In multiplayer this could get confusing, waiting for 4 people to take their turns before the turn order gets messed up then waiting again to mess it up in the opposite way. I worried about abuse with multiples/recursion allowing you to steal all of your opponent's turns but I actually have no idea what would happen if you cast this twice on a player so I'll just ignore the issue.

Fenix.'s Forever /// Ever 6.5/10
Show
Huh, never noticed you had a period in your name. Learn something new everyday right?
I have to admit, I'm no fan of Pull from Eternity and Misthallow Grifin (particularily the first one). If it was just a case of me not liking them, I'd try to ignore it but I actually think the cards are degenerate and bad for the game as a whole. Returning things from exile is just not something I like to see except in rare corner cases, like flicker effects or the card doing the exiling returning those same cards (like Karn Unleashed). If Ever only returned cards exiled by Forever that would've been fine with me. As is, this thing will probably only ever be used for the Ever side in crazy combo decks, with Ever being a msotly irrelevant bit of combo protection.
Your card (cards?) is/are however very interesting mechanically regardless of what I think of the exile bit.
On the flavour side I like how a card named forever & ever exiles things (gone forever) and then brings them back (umm, ever again? It kind of works).

Esterdi's Seize the Moment 9/10
Show
On the flavour side this is fairly solid. Seize (gain control of) the Moment (spell), or alternatively you can interpret it a little less literally like in the flavour text (which works great by the way). This is great, the only problem is that it isn't completely outstanding.
On the mechanical side I can't beleive this hasn't been done before, Commandeer not withstanding. I'm having trouble judging the apropriate cost but this seems about right.

3-7-15-1-292's Slip Between Seconds 8/10
Show
I'm assuming that this costs :G::G:?
The closest parrallel I can find is Eyes of the Wisent, and honestly I have to say that I like your card better than that one. I would like it even better though, if it cast the card for free so it could still be countered. THat would be a little less brutal on the counter-heavy decks and could lead to some fun tension where you're not sure whether to cast your best creature for free or go for a less valuable one in case your opponent is trying to bait you into playing your best creature to counter it.

Interpreting slipping between moments as reacting to opponent's instants works, but the casting creatures for free doesn't add anything to the time manipul;ation flavour. That flavour text is pretty cool, but there's a slight disconnect with the "magehunter" bit seeming to suggest the effect should be a little more directly lethal than summoning creatures for free.
Also your name seems to create line breaks whenever I copy and paste it in somewhere. Did you choose your name based on some kind of computer voodoo or is it just a case of the forums being weird again?
vlord's Seize the Moment 5.5/10
Show
Wait does this let me take an extra upkeep phase after combat? THat could be useflul in the right combos. Taking an extra combat phase is pretty sweet, although without any sort of built in untapping it's not OP. Untap phases are pretty useful too. I imagine this would be mostly used for the last option (which seems OP when you can untap the lands you used to cast this) but the utility is pretty impressive. This looks like a really fun card to build around and play.
Or wait, untapping is a step. I've got myself all kinds of confused. I may have to revise this. Actually it gets even worse. You could choose beginning phase to get both a draw and untap step!
Was the intent that this be playable on an opponent's turn and then give yourself a new phase during their turn? I'll just assume that the rules can handle that. Seems like it would make the card very, very dangerous though. Mechanically this is fun and original but way, way broken.
Flavourwise giving someone a new phase certainly fits the name. The flavour text suffices, but the conection to the name is a little weak.

Koridian's Slip Between Seconds 4/10
Show
A card with split second is a good fit for the name. Why a card named Slip Between Seconds counters someone else's spell is beyond me and I honestly have no idea why this draws you a card. The flavour text is pretty cool. Is it supposed to hint that you manipulate time to give yourself a chance to find a solution? If so the message doesn't come through clearly enough.
THis seems to powerful for it's cost. Ramping up a card's color intensity can only go so far towards balancing something. At :U::U::U: this would be quite good with either of the bonuses it has over counterspell, with both it's way too far over the curve.

FirstTurnKill's Seize the Moment 6/10
Show
That is some awesome flavour right there, no complaints in that department.
It also looks like a really original and intriguing card. I fear however, that it is hopelessly broken. Unless casting this during an end phase would cause it to fizzle, (I doubt it but I'm no rules guru) then this would let you steal an opponents beginning phase and thus their draw and untap steps. That's a net card advantage of 2, one less untap step for your opponent and a bonus untap step for you. Way too much goodness for :R:. Also it pushes an effect that seems very red on the surface into blue (or arguably ). It's a shame, at first glance I loved this thing.

untap, upkeep and draw are separate phases
1st- Tarmoor
Show
Accelerate the Sands
Enchant Player
Enchanted Player skips their first
main phase each turn.
"There is a time to think, and a time
to act, and you have shown yourself
incapable of the first." 

The card:

2nd - Esterdi
Show

Seize the Moment
Instant
Split Second
Gain control of target nonsorcery noninstant spell.

3rd - Fezzhead

Show

Seize the Moment
Sorcery
The next time target player would begin his or her turn, instead that player skips that turn and you take an extra turn.
The next time you would begin your turn after that one, instead you skip that turn and that player takes an extra turn.
"Allow me to have a few moments of your time."

Taramoor wins! Taramoor claim your FABULOUS PRIZE!1!1!
You get to decide the theme for next rounds names.
You can choose pretty much anything that wasn't already a theme (see post #2) and vague is preferable.

Is it just me or can everyone see the blue mana symbols in the sblock for Taramoor's entry?
untap, upkeep and draw are separate phases

They're all seperate steps that all occur during the beginning phase.
Oh I see. My bad.

Damn, I wanted ftk's card to work 
Oh I see. My bad.

Damn, I wanted ftk's card to work 

Yah, it's sad. He wasn't the only one to run into that problem either.
Well, I normally try to make card's in contests without reading the other submissions first, so I hadn't seen vlord's or I might have done something else.  I definitely think his is the less broken of the two, and I realize now that I shouldn't have tried so hard to parallel Time Walk; my version is just as, if not moreso, broken than it.  I suppose I should have kept the cost at to parallel Time Warp instead.  Maybe less, maybe.  Personally, I think it works in a very red way; I don't see the bleed into or :wbm: -- it can be used intelligently and strategically, but I don't think that makes it unfitting for red.

I wish there were a rule that said something like, "All phases are steps, but all steps aren't phases" such that one could refer to the lesser and greater of both in an elegant fashion.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Vague themes are good.

Your theme for next round is "Luck" 
Vague themes are good.

Your theme for next round is "Luck" 

Your theme is accepted!

Next round's theme is LUCK.