Been gone too long...too much new stuff!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just dusted off and uncovered all my old cards.  I started in '94 and collected up to Urza's Saga.  Been reading up on all the new abilities and it's simply overwhelming.  Been using the "gatherer" to find all the new combos but my brain hurts.  I guess I just need to find some local players and start up again, or else I'm gonna read myself into oblivian.

But I must say, this game has grown to be so much more than I could have ever imagined.  I knew when I picked it up it was an amazing game, but holy crap has it blown up 10 fold.

It has been awesome going through all the old cards/artwork and getting a huge smile on my face from all the memories.  Also, selling some of these older beta/unlimited cards might help me through some financial struggles.  

Anyway, glad to be getting back into the Magic Multiverse. 
If you start out by getting a handle on standard that might reduce some of the "catching up" time as you'd be focusing on a limited number of cards. Then once you get used to standard you can go back over modern and legacy changes.

There are also some good videos such as videos from the pro tour or "deck tech" videos which can help give you an idea of the speed of the format and what decks look like these days.
Don't be too smart to have fun
You might also want to check out the [thread=973044]Returning Player Rules Primer[/thread] for a rules touchup.

Welcome back to the game! We've been keeping it going for you. ;)

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

It'll be ok.

Just study Gatherer like any good Magic player would ;] 
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
Thank you much for the replies.  I will check out those links and continue to browse the Gatherer.  

Thanks for keeping the game going for me as well, time for me to pick up some slack! 
Start with standard and work backward through extended and modern, as far as rules familiarity. Glad you know how much your old cards are worth! :D
Welcome back to the war, old soldier. There's a lot of new-fangled guns running around, but you'll find a few of the old one's are still worth using.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Welcome back!

Moving to the New and Returning Player Forum.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Sign In to post comments