Trample and blocking multiple creatures

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I had 3 Elemental tokens from Grove of the Guardian on the battlefield. One of them was enchanted with Rancor. My opponent had a Mounted Archer on the battlefield. I attacked with the three Elementals and he blocked all three of them with the Archer. How much damage gets through? Clearly the two unenchanted Elementals are stopped completely. But does the one enchanted with Rancor only deal 7 damage to my opponent or does the full 10 get through? Why? 
It's up to you, which means the full 10 will get through unless for some reason you don't want it to (in which case you probably wouldn't have attacked in the first place).

When assigning damage from multiple creatures where only some of them have trample, there's absoloutely nothing stopping you from optimizing the amount of trample damage that gets through. You only need to assign 3 damage to the Archer in order to do this, which is well under the combined 16 power of your non-Trampling attackers, so you're free to assign all the damage from the Rancored attacker to the defending player unless for some reason you want to assign some to the Archers.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Oh! There's a rule for that!
702.18b [When assigning Trample damage], take into account (...) damage from other creatures that’s being assigned during the same combat damage step...

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)