[GTC-ICD] Nightveil Specter

71 posts / 0 new
Last post

Nightveil Specter (Rare) - :ubm::ubm::ubm:
Creature - Specter
Flying
When Nightveil Specter deals combat damage to a player, that player exiles the top card of his or her library.
You may play cards exiled with Nightveil Specter.
2/3

Source: DailyMTG Arcana.
This is the Buy-A-Box promo foil copy. Haven't got the art for the pack copy yet.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
This has some interesting potential...
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
Seems really aweome. This in a deck with chromatic lanterns? I can cast anything kthxbai? 
So, I basially love this guy already. 3 mana guys who fly with 2 power is pretty amazing. I think the ability is extremely relevant because it dodges hand destruction and such. I could see a very limited use targeting an opponent with this as well. 
you can cast the exiled spells, but if you don't have the proper mana you can't cast it; still looks interesting I guess
you can cast the exiled spells, but if you don't have the proper mana you can't cast it; still looks interesting I guess

It doesn't say "cast spells", it says "play cards".  My read on this is that this enables you to play your opponent's lands.
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."

It doesn't say "cast spells", it says "play cards".  My read on this is that this enables you to play your opponent's lands.

That's what I got too.  Chromatic Lantern was already listed as a way to help you cast them.  This guy's awesome.
Comboes with Dark Ritual

For more standard-goodness, comboes with Omniscience
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
I totally want to play other people's lands with this.
For more standard-goodness, comboes with Omniscience

I'm not sure it does this.  Nightveil Specter only says you can play cards exiled by it, but not "as though they were in your hand," which I'm pretty sure is templating that isn't used anymore anyways.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
On hit mill, not great. Playing other peoples cards, always fun. Evasion for cipher, fun for me.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
This or Vampire Nighthawk? They do very different things, mind, but it's hard not to compare them.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
Since it says "play the cards" and not "Cast the cards" doesn't it mean you can just... you know... not pay any costs and put the card directly onto the stack?
Goes hand-in-hand with Fiend of the Shadows and I like that. Pretty neat.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Since it says "play the cards" and not "Cast the cards" doesn't it mean you can just... you know... not pay any costs and put the card directly onto the stack?

No, you play with them asif they were in your hand. You either need to be in their colors or get lands with the mill.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

I was predicting this as a tap effect for the guild ability, so it's nice to see it's in here in another form.

No, you play with them asif they were in your hand. You either need to be in their colors or get lands with the mill.

Weird. Given that Encode / Cipher says "you may cast that spell without paying its mana cost" I'm surprised that they would have a card that says "You may play that spell" instead of "you may cast that spell."
Fiend of the Shadows is jealous.

Exiling from the top of the library is hardly the same as exiling from a player's hand.

Anyway, more Blue-Black EDH goodies.
Fiend of the Shadows is jealous.

Exiling from the top of the library is hardly the same as exiling from a player's hand.

Anyway, more Blue-Black EDH goodies.

And costing 5 is a lot different than costing 3.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Also, Fiend's ability allows you to still cast the cards after Fiend has been killed.  This new guy doesn't.
Seems like a fun card.
Weird. Given that Encode / Cipher says "you may cast that spell without paying its mana cost" I'm surprised that they would have a card that says "You may play that spell" instead of "you may cast that spell."

It does not say "you may play that spell", it says you may play that card. Cipher only works on spells, but this works on both lands and spells.
this is beautiful. come to my blue-black deck you lovely bat. You, cosuming abberation, evil twin, havengul lich and Lazav will be the prize of my creature stealing deck. And yes, you may play that card as long as it is exiled. It's basically an extended hand. This goes SO well with whispering madness
Second 3cc flyers that looks cool. Power level feels just right.
A creature for my Praetor's Grasp deck, if ever I saw one.

Nice, understated design. 
lovely card. 2 power fliers for 3 are good enough, this one is colour intensive but quite the sexy beast regardless.
Oh wait, so there's a rare hybrid cycle too?

This is great hybrid design, and the card's very sleek. Very playable, like a Vampire Nighthawk as mentioned before, although it doesn't fulfill the exact same role. 

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Also, Fiend's ability allows you to still cast the cards after Fiend has been killed.  This new guy doesn't.

hmmm it says you may cast card exiled by new guy, doesn't say you may only cast it when it's on the battlefield.
Hm, very neat.

hmmm it says you may cast card exiled by new guy, doesn't say you may only cast it when it's on the battlefield.

Exactly. The card is jst stating that you cant play cards exiled by any other means if not this specter.
I play for fun

The ability is a static ability.  Most static abilities (including this one) only work while the creature is on the battlefield.

Also, say you used him to exile 2 cards but didn't cast any of them and then he got Cloudshifted.  You would no longer be able to cast those 2 cards that are exiled.
Welp, Ravnica 2.0 continues the fine tradition set forth by Ravnica 1.0 of printing mana 2/3s that I love.

Teysa, Orzhov Scion... Trygon Predator...

If the prior two are any indication this will see play...somewhere, but it might only be fringe play, or it might not be standard.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Another drop next to Patron Wizard for a Sanity Grinding deck. Brilliant!
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
This thing looks great, and cute and cuddly too.

<----- Loser.

Significant because this is the first specter since their mechanical identity was cemented to work the library instead of the hand.
Significant because this is the first specter since their mechanical identity was cemented to work the library instead of the hand.

The next one will... 'work the body'.
abilities are worse than thieving magpie, but maybe coming out a turn earlier makes it playable?  shadowmage infiltratorish?   meh.
abilities are worse than thieving magpie, but maybe coming out a turn earlier makes it playable?  shadowmage infiltratorish?   meh.

Not sure if you should be looking at it in terms of those cards?  Though it is card advantage.

I think its the buy a box promo, which those usually turn out to be pretty good so it should do well.
I got excited with a blue Specter because I thought it would make opponents discard. I love how Serum Raker and Frightful Delusion hint that they are thinking about it, and I thought this was the next step.

Oh, well, it's still a very cool card. 
I really like the potential of using this guy with Chromatic Lantern, or even stealing their lands this way to play and use for their own spells.  Just need to give him Hexproof.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin