[GTC-ICD] Clan Defiance

73 posts / 0 new
Last post

Clan Defiance (Rare) -
Sorcery
Choose one or more - Clan Defiance deals X damage to target creature with flying; Clan Defiance deals X damage to target creature without flying; and/or Clan Defiance deals X damage to target player.

Source: DailyMTG
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
More coming... hitting the wall with the forum's new post buffer right now.
I'll come back and update the OPs with the full card text shortly, too.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
10/10 would put in my cube
Flexibility is nice I guess.

Also kind of cool they combined the traditional :G: flying hate with the :R: non-flying hate.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
This is quite nice.  Direct damage spell and removal?  Or remove two creatures with direct damage too...without dividing up the "x" in which you want for what effect?  Wow. 
This card is just stupid.

It literally reads "Deals X damage to target creature or player", but written in an overly wordy way to try and justify the green in the casting cost.

There is no point making modal flying/non-flying on a targeted spell - that only makes sense on a sweeper. 

It literally reads "Deals X damage to target creature or player", but written in an overly wordy way to try and justify the green in the casting cost.

There is no point making modal flying/non-flying on a targeted spell - that only makes sense on a sweeper. 

Look again it says choose one or more. You can do all three.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project

No its "choose one or More" so it says deal x damage to target player and one or two creatures.

Edit: darn ninjas
You get a Fireball, and you get a Fireball, and you get a Fireball (but only if you fly)!
Hello, Stuffy Doll.

Double the damage on one player or zap two.
Criticism withdrawn.
Oh, what's that? Branching Bolt not sexy enough for you?!
so... an improved fireball effect in that it can hit up to 3, and will almost always hit two things for X for an extra ? Yes please. Gruul is looking amazing thus far
Hmm. Pretty much always burn+removal, with potential to 2-for-1 (while still burning face). Seems legit.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
6 to kill a restoration angel, a thragtusk, and bean your opponent in the head for 4?

Yes please. 
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
This with Stuffy Doll. If I block with Stuffy Doll, I can use a Bloodrush without Trample on their creature and watch as they take the damage.
Me Gusta- It's a variant on Branching Bolt and that just feels awesome
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Definitely picking up a couple of these.  I'd imagine this gets constructed play as a 1- or 2-of mana sink.  Red still needs a real sweeper for that Hexproof dude and a powerful Instant speed burn to deal with the Ghost Council tho.     
Wow.  This card is bonkers.  Should easily see a ton of play.
I like it and it will see play.

Setting praise aside, since 9 times out of 10 this will hit the player and 1 creature, it's really just a sorcery-speed Comet Storm that costs 1 less and loses the option to hit multiple creatures for more mana. So yeah, it's good, but nothing new.
Somewhere beyond the vast gulf of space and time, Rosheen Meanderer's jimmies rustle slightly.

Figuratively speaking. 
Hmmm, so in RTR;

Rakdos's Return -> Very good sideboard card, possible maindeck in the right metagame

Sphinx's Revelation -> Format-defining powerhouse

Epic Experiment -> Jhonny/Casual plaything, possibility to make decent semi-competitve decks with it

and GTC;

Clan Defiance -> Very solid card, possible 1-of in maindecks if there are enough things to make sure it always hit 3 targets (currently there are)

So that means we will probably have 2 more X guild related cards, which is kind of awesome. My money's on Orzhov and Dimir.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

Setting praise aside, since 9 times out of 10 this will hit the player and 1 creature, it's really just a sorcery-speed Comet Storm that costs 1 less and loses the option to hit multiple creatures for more mana. So yeah, it's good, but nothing new.

You just listed 2 differences :P Plus Fireball variants are simply a classic since the types of Fireballs that can be made are infinitum.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Ah look a competitive spoiler... sheesh ppl were starting to worry
Hmmm, so in RTR;

Rakdos's Return -> Very good sideboard card, possible maindeck in the right metagame

Sphinx's Revelation -> Format-defining powerhouse

Epic Experiment -> Jhonny/Casual plaything, possibility to make decent semi-competitve decks with it

and GTC;

Clan Defiance -> Very solid card, possible 1-of in maindecks if there are enough things to make sure it always hit 3 targets (currently there are)

So that means we will probably have 2 more X guild related cards, which is kind of awesome. My money's on Orzhov and Dimir.

this card is only a rare though, not a mythic =/ I guess because it doesn't single-handedly decide games like rakdos or sphinx's, but still.  
now this is a good card for sure.
Great design, and this will definitely see play in some capacity.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
OH MY!
I missed the choose one or more initially but now, WOW!
Do want!
You get a Fireball, and you get a Fireball, and you get a Fireball (but only if you fly)!

It's WORSE than Comet Storm and even Fireball BECAUSE it's also Green. As noted above, it is this way to justify being Green. There is no reason Red fireballs cannot hit creatures with flying, and indeed the only conflict is where you have Earthquake vs. Hurricane when it comes to fliers, and this is not a sweeper in that sense. Nothing about this card screams Green, or even suggests it, to the exclusion of being Gruul.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

Doesn't it cost 2 less than comet storm when targeting 2 creatures and a player?

Doesn't it cost 2 less than comet storm when targeting 2 creatures and a player?

He was saying that it will usually hit one creature, but most decks in the meta run both flying and non, so I think it's golden as that would make it cost 4 at the base for comet storm.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. How to Create
Show
replace {} with [] {sblock} at the beginning and {/sblock} at the end.
I borrowed this from blood77. All credit goes to him. Great idea for a signature and I'm tired of people not autocarding decks. How to Auto Card
Show
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
Show
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck Auto Deck
Show
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4 Halimar Depths 4 Unstable Frontier 8 Island 4 Swamp Creatures 12 4 Hedron Crab 4 Nemesis of Reason 4 Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4 Spreading Seas 4 Suffer the Past 4 Mind Funeral 4 Archive Trap 4 Ponder 4 Into the Roil 4 Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Result

He was saying that it will usually hit one creature, but most decks in the meta run both flying and non, so I think it's golden as that would make it cost 4 at the base for comet storm.

Yeah, I totally glossed over the first part of his sentence.

Honestly, it doesn't matter (to me) how it compares to Comet Storm, since Comet isn't legal in current standard, draft, block, or sealed.  In those formats it seems very playable.
If you were going to choose two targets for comet storm, you would generally choose two creatures.

Regardless, not much to say about this card other than...

GILGIC 

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

This card very good. Likely to see play in Jund or Naya. Not sure about 5-color control because it has so many options that this one is kinda clanky
Fireball the crack years.

<----- Loser.

you could do all 3?!? dang this is sweet

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
One copy of this is going in my casual Modern Jund Ramp deck. YAY
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
This is precisely the card I have been looking for to add to my werewolf Standard deck.

I want 8 (as I'll likely want non-wolf Gruul too!)

All I have to decide now, is wherever or to maindeck this over Mizzium Mortars, or vice versa (and I hate Mizzium because it's an Izzet card...) 
Now, the question is, will this be replacing some of the copies of Bonfire of the Damned in my Naya deck. For once, I honestly have no idea.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
A nice Savage Twister upgrade

3DH4LIF3

It's WORSE than Comet Storm and even Fireball BECAUSE it's also Green. As noted above, it is this way to justify being Green. There is no reason Red fireballs cannot hit creatures with flying, and indeed the only conflict is where you have Earthquake vs. Hurricane when it comes to fliers, and this is not a sweeper in that sense. Nothing about this card screams Green, or even suggests it, to the exclusion of being Gruul.

Branching Bolt.