Isochron Scepter/Izzet Deck

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK, in the Izzet v. Golgari duel deck pack, the Izzet deck seems much more powerful than the Golgari one, but I could just be playing wrong. So my question is, do I have the rules right?

I just played a game where I cast isochron scepter, and used it to exile call to heel. Then I get the following cards into play:

Izzet Guildmage
Shrewd Hatchling
Wee Dragonauts
Gelectrode

The Golgari player turns his Svogthos, the restless tomb into a 10/10 creature or whatever. I tap the Gelectrode to deal 1 damage, and then I use the isochron scepter to bounce his restless tomb back to his hand. I untap the Gelectrode. I tap him again. Then... I pay (2)(B) to activate the Izzet Guildmage's ability to copy a 'target instant spell.' I copy call to heel. Then I bounce something else, like a Golgari Grave-Troll, remove 2 counters from the Shrewd Hatchling, and attack with the hatchling and the wee dragonauts which are now a 5/3 flying creature.

Is this right? 

Thanks in advance.
The difference between these two copy effects is subtle, but important in this case.

When you activate Isochron Scepter, it creates a copy of a card in exile that is then cast, so it will trigger Gelectrode, Wee Dragonauts, and any other relevant abilities. Izzet Guildmage creates a copy of a spell directly on the stack. That copy wasn't cast, so it won't trigger Gelectrode.
Rules Advisor
So, in this specific example, you only get to take one counter off the Hatchling, the Dragonauts is only a 2/3.

You do get to untap Gelectrode for the initial casting from the Scepter, but you do not get to untap it a second time.
OK, cool. One more question: A copy is a spell? So a copy of an exiled card is a valid target for the izzet guildmage?
Yes. Both the copies cast with Isochron Scepter and the copies created by Izzet Guildmage are spells.
Rules Advisor
A spell is a card or a copy of a card on the stack. As long as it's on the stack and it's not an ability, Izzet Guildmage can copy it.
Awesome, thank you! 
Keep in mind it has to stil be on the stack.... if  you wait for it to resolve it is too late.
[...] I tap the Gelectrode to deal 1 damage, and then I use the isochron scepter to bounce his restless tomb back to his hand. I untap the Gelectrode. I tap him again [...]

You also have the order wrong. Gelectrode's trigger goes off when you cast a red and/or blue spell, so it is always put on the stack on top of that spell and will resolve before it. Same for the triggers of the Hatchling and the Dragnauts.

So the right order of things is:
You tap Gelectrode to deal 1 damage and let this resolve, you activate Isochron Scepter and let this resolve, so the Scepter's ability lets you cast the copy, Gelectrode's trigger is put on top of this spell, Gelectrode's trigger resolves and it untaps, you tap Gelectrode to deal 1 damage and let this resolve, you let the copied spell resolve, ...

Of course, you could also repond to the activation(s) of Gelectrode, so the order of things would look like this:
You tap Gelectrode to deal 1 damage, you respond by activating Isochron Scepter, you let the Scepter's ability resolve and it lets you cast the copy, Gelectrode's trigger is put on top of this spell, Gelectrode's trigger resolves and it untaps, you tap Gelectrode to deal 1 damage and let this resolve, you let the copied spell resolve, Gelectrode's first activation resolves and it deals 1 damage, ...

You also can't copy a spell after it resolves, which I imagine he already knows.

Replace the word "bounce" with "target" in his initial post and the order of actions is correct. The terminology used is just imprecise.

Also, on the topic of responding to things, here's a fun fact:
Gelectrode's triggered ability doesn't have an intervening if clause, which means it will trigger and go onto the stack every time you cast an instant or sorcery, even if Gelectrode is untapped.

This means you can cast a spell while Gelectrode is untapped, have its untap trigger go onto the stack, tap it in response to its own trigger, and still have it untapped.
I pay (2)(B) to activate the Izzet Guildmage's ability to copy a 'target instant spell.'

Traditionally, the letter 'U' is used for blue and 'B' for black, so you actually paid 2U (or ).

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

yes, everything you stated is correct, with the exception of the copied card with the guildmage, and to be honest i agree with your statement that izzet > golgari :P 

izzet can especially be confusing at times, try have the situation you stated with a guttersnipe, sphinx-bone wand, and more creatures like kiln fiend. there's a lot to keep track of

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
Sign In to post comments