Invoker/Barbarian Hybrid - Any advice?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a friend who is a very new player and is struggling to make a barbarian/invoker hybrid as his first character. Problems arise, naturally.. Constitution is the only ability score that both classes seem to have a shared interest in. The barbarian seems to lend itself to high damage, two-handed weapons, while the invoker benefits from holding an implement. The avenger class seems like a good alternative, though changes the background/flavor of the character significantly enough to leave my friends' imagination feeling lackluster.

I, too, am somewhat of a new D&D'er--only having been introduced to the game half a year ago--and feel I can't really give great advice to my friend here. What do you think? Is it a hybrid that can be powerful enough to be intereseting outside of its compelling background and fluff? Will it be able to keep up with its specialized counterparts?

Any input would be wonderful. Thank you!
Nope, that's just not going to work.  It would help if you outlined the actual character concept. What aspects of the barbarian and invoker does the player want to include? If we know what s/he actually wants to do in combat, we can suggest a better class or hybrid that can do those things.
Yeah, those two classes just don't work well together mechanically. If your friend really wants to take that route because of the background/flavor, keep in mind that fluff can be remolded to fit nearly any mechanical choice. You don't need to play suboptimal choices to meet your ideal vision of a character.
Avengers are awesome!

The others bits made me laugh, thank you. New player, Wacky Hybrid, No build info, Imagination failure and Mechanic defining fluff. 
The thing is, Barbarians don't really like Con all that much. They're pretty much all Str/Dex. So pairing a Str/Dex class with a Wis/Con or Wis/Int? Yeah...
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Thank you for your replies!

I get the impression that the furious, berserking intensity of the Barbarian driven by a divine power might be what's tickling his imaginative process. Which is why I thought the Avenger would be a good alternative. The fluff difference between the Avenger and Invoker that stands out, I suppose, is the Invoker's more personal/close relationship with his god (rather than the social, religious initiation that Avengers/Clerics/Paladins generally gain their powers through). "You, however, channel your god's power directly. No mere symbol can contain it, for you speak the words of creation, shaping the universe to your and your god's will." I think that's some appealing fluff. Although, all of this doesn't leave a lot of character explanation for the primal power source of the barbarian.

He likes the idea of being a striker in combat, but also of channeling divine energy and being able to call it down upon his enemies from afar when necessary. Sounds like an Avenger with an Invoker mulitclass?
Avengers are awesome!

The others bits made me laugh, thank you. New player, Wacky Hybrid, No build info, Imagination failure and Mechanic defining fluff. 

Teehee!

A dragonborn barbarian|cleric hybrid could work out ok (possibly with Hybrid Talent: Thaneborn Triumph), if your friend prefers barbarian powers to avenger ones. No ranged option, though, outside certain items.
Functionally, a Barb|Cleric is much better (especially with Battle Cleric Lore feature). STR+WIS, can have a good mix of smashy/slashy powers and calling down divine wrath as desired.
I don't know why I dismissed the idea of a str/wis hybrid, I'm going to bed.
A dragonborn barbarian|cleric hybrid could work out ok (possibly with Hybrid Talent: Thaneborn Triumph), if your friend prefers barbarian powers to avenger ones. No ranged option, though, outside certain items.

Hybrid talent for Thaneborn Triumph is kind of a wasted feat. He would be much better off with Rageblood Vigor or Channel Divinity.
Thank you for your replies!

I get the impression that the furious, berserking intensity of the Barbarian driven by a divine power might be what's tickling his imaginative process. Which is why I thought the Avenger would be a good alternative. The fluff difference between the Avenger and Invoker that stands out, I suppose, is the Invoker's more personal/close relationship with his god (rather than the social, religious initiation that Avengers/Clerics/Paladins generally gain their powers through). "You, however, channel your god's power directly. No mere symbol can contain it, for you speak the words of creation, shaping the universe to your and your god's will." I think that's some appealing fluff. Although, all of this doesn't leave a lot of character explanation for the primal power source of the barbarian.

He likes the idea of being a striker in combat, but also of channeling divine energy and being able to call it down upon his enemies from afar when necessary. Sounds like an Avenger with an Invoker mulitclass?

Sounds like a refluffed Sorcerer or Warlock (Star Pact with a Divine MC)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
A lot of combinations besides the one he picked can work.  Str/wis cleric barbarain is one of your better options with rageblood as your hybrid talent option.  Take a couple of the cleric reaction implement encounter powers like deaths call and maybe an at will like icon of fear.  And some of the cleric dailies will work well since the barbarian dailies lag a bit at higher levels.  You could even mc invoker and get a little out of that.

Str/cha and thaneborn talent works, but its not quite what your player would want and all the cleric strength ranged powers are pretty bad.

Avenger mc invoker works and so does a regular barbarian mc avenger.  Or barbarian/cleric mc avenger.

Barbarian/paladin hybrid also works.  Hybrid talent for paladin armor for plate mail and then go str/wis or str/cha.  Str/wis works well and can mc invoker, but str/cha will let you take the good paladin implement powers that work at range and are often immediates.

The fluff difference between the Avenger and Invoker that stands out, I suppose, is the Invoker's more personal/close relationship with his god (rather than the social, religious initiation that Avengers/Clerics/Paladins generally gain their powers through). "You, however, channel your god's power directly. No mere symbol can contain it, for you speak the words of creation, shaping the universe to your and your god's will." I think that's some appealing fluff. Although, all of this doesn't leave a lot of character explanation for the primal power source of the barbarian.

The thing is, you can use that Invoker fluff on anything. You could be a straight Barbarian and just say that your power is channeled from your diety. Getting hung up on fluff is never helpful to making a character. The best path is to decide how you want to fight mechanically and then pick and choose fluff to make it cool. There are of course limits, but in a case like this where the issue is the completely non-mechnical issue of "where my awesome comes from," you can literally make up anything for any class and it can work.

If he just wants to smash things and only occassionally call down divine wrath, you don't even have to hybrid. You can grab a power from a theme like Ordained Priest. Or just take some of the AOE thunder-type barbarian powers and fluff them as speaking those awesome words of creation. I really can't stress enough though that Invokers in no way have exclusive rights to that fluff. WotC just wanted to make a Cleric that fills the controller role and tweaked the fluff to make it seem different.
Thank you to everyone for your help! I have shared this with my friend and it looks like he's going to try a Barbarian/Cleric (warpriest) hybrid (definitely passed on your specifics, GelatinousOctahedron). You make an excellent point about fluff, Scatterbrained. It will definitely serve him in the long run.
Sign In to post comments